Fender - MIA vs MIM. What is the difference?

Jim-Bass

• Members

Apart from the bleeding obvious (it's made in Mexico), exactly what is the difference in an MIM to an MIA ? Besides Mexican workers being paid less (I'm guessing). Surely Fender has strict quality controls in place.

I've heard that the same materials are used. Yes? No? I've also heard the MIM pickups are wired in the US and then sent to Mex for installation.

My MIM Jazz has Bartolini pickups now, and a Badass II bridge: both brand new and made in the US. I don't consider that as making it equal or better to an MIA Jazz, but what is the difference?

Is it just a myth that the MIM is the poor mans MIA?

I had an MIJ Jazz years ago that was excellent. And dare I say, it was better than the MIA Jazz that I had before it.

So, MIM. Where (if anywhere) have they cut corners, or is it the same in every respect?

• Members

I (personally) think they're all basically the exact same thing, built in different parts of the world which DOES change their qualities due to humidity/temp difference. I can't confirm this...obviously...but I do like more MiJ's than MiM's. Though there are some gems that come from the MiM factories. That's for sure.

• Members

I (personally) think they're all basically the exact same thing, built in different parts of the world which DOES change their qualities due to humidity/temp difference. I can't confirm this...obviously...but I do like more MiJ's than MiM's. Though there are some gems that come from the MiM factories. That's for sure.

And by gems he means Active Deluxe Jazz basses :D:thu:

Honestly, I don't know the difference but I've played plenty of American and MIM jazz basses. I always end up going MIM cause of something, I'm not sure what. Maybe it's cause I'm Hispanic, but boof. I honestly enjoy their quality more.

• Members

Surely Fender has strict quality controls in place.

Oh! My sides! They ache!!! rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

I had an MIJ Jazz years ago that was excellent. And dare I say, it was better than the MIA Jazz that I had before it.

I can barely stop laughing from your first joke, but I will comment on this. MIJ and MIM are not comparable situations. They are not some common class of "Fender from another place".

The consistency on the MIJ stuff is head and shoulders above MIM and better than MIA (the mats and construction may be cheaper in some instances, but rarely will you find an MIA with better construction, the MIJs are just really well put together).

• Members

It comes down directly to hardware, wiring, and electronics. That's the difference.

In my experience with MIM v. MIA v. MIJ Fenders, those are the only differences. When you build guitars and basses in the same shapes with alder bodies and maple necks, they all have a good base for an instrument. It's the stuff that goes on them that either makes it "good" or "great."

And, because I know someone will bring it up as soon as I post this, the wood will vary no matter what. Even if the instrument has a five piece alder body, it doesn't mean it won't resonate and sound better than a two piece center-joined body. It all comes down to individual pieces of wood. As long as the pieces being used work well with each other, you can end up with an amazing guitar or bass. It's this very reason why there are both MIM's and MIA's that just sound bad. It's also the same reason why there are MIM's that smoke MIA's.

Hopefully that's clear enough. :thu:

• Moderators

It comes down directly to hardware, wiring, and electronics. That's the difference.

In my experience with MIM v. MIA v. MIJ Fenders, those are the only differences. When you build guitars and basses in the same shapes with alder bodies and maple necks, they all have a good base for an instrument. It's the stuff that goes on them that either makes it "good" or "great."

And, because I know someone will bring it up as soon as I post this, the wood will vary
no matter what
. Even if the instrument has a five piece alder body, it doesn't mean it won't resonate and sound better than a two piece center-joined body. It all comes down to individual pieces of wood. As long as the pieces being used work well with each other, you can end up with an amazing guitar or bass. It's this very reason why there are both MIM's and MIA's that just sound bad. It's also the same reason why there are MIM's that smoke MIA's.

Hopefully that's clear enough.
:thu:

Very clear and very good. To be fair, the hardware, electronics and wiring are the only elements of the instrument other than the woods, finishes and attention to detail. The finishes differ in the different lines and as you pointed out, the woods differ as well. It is generally true that the more expensive lines get more attention, not because the manufacturers are inherently better, but because they are given the opportunity to finesse within the build process.

When I see a thread like this I feel that there are two different questions that can be asked: (1) what are the differences; and (2) do the differences matter? The answer to the first question is "everything." The answer to the second question is "not much."

• Members

Very clear and very good. To be fair, the hardware, electronics and wiring are the only elements of the instrument other than the woods, finishes and attention to detail. The finishes differ in the different lines and as you pointed out, the woods differ as well. It is generally true that the more expensive lines get more attention, not because the manufacturers are inherently better, but because they are given the opportunity to finesse within the build process.

You forgot about the necks, they're different to, along with the bridge and the specs.

• Members

The stock pickups on my MIM Jazz were unique to that bass. The pole pieces on the bridge pup were adjusted with the E and G pieces about 1/8" closer to the string.

Sold em on ebay.....

That said, I bought it sight unseen and it is a wonderful player.

I also bought an Ibanez sight unseen that showed me that I should be more careful.

• Members

I would buy a CIJ/MIJ or a MIA Fender without trying it. Not sure I would do that with a MIM. You do get lucky with a MIM from time to time, though. Some of them really are amazing instruments.

I wouldn't buy ANY without playing them first. This isn't a knock on Fender but I have, in fact, played MIM's, MIJ's and MIA's that had the dead spots on the neck. This being the 5th and/or 7th frets on the G string. You ALWAYS have to watch out for that.

I bought the Fender MIM active Jazz 5 string and it is a fantastic bass. Beautiful pao ferro neck, good frets, gorgeous paint, and bridge. The tuners are Gotoh and they're smooth as silk.

I did nothing to it except put on a Badass V bridge and that's because I wanted to put one on. I cannot really say that it changed the tone very much but it is much easier to set up.

The pups and on board preamp were advertised as American made. They sound great but recently the treble started crackling and the mid boost lost the detent. I sprayed out the tone controls three or four times but the problem is still there so it basically, it needs two new pots. I imagine this would have happened if this preamp were on a MIA Jazz 5.

When I bought my P I had the money to get the MIA but I couldn't bring myself to do it after playing an MIA and an MIM in a side by side for nearly two hours in a music store. I did notice some small differences in sound but I attributed it more to the pups because they played the same and they felt the same. Neither had dead spots.

I don't regret buying the MIM P bass and turns out it left me some bucks to dress up my new P with chrome knobs, graphite nut, pickguard, Badass bridge, 1/4 Pound pups, bridge and pickup covers. ;)

• Members

Necks are made of wood right? I thought I had that {censored} covered when I asked myself "what's different?" and answer "everything!"
;)

:thu:

Except that's one of the differences that matters...Quartersawn vs. Flatsawn, proper curing of the wood, etc.

For instance, there's a reason that MIJ necks go for $250 on Ebay when the whole instrument can go for only $100 more.

Archived