OT - anyone here ever had a heart attack?

james on bass

• Members

No, but I might be having one. Weird chest pressure the last few days, but no other pain.

Go to the Hospita!

I had wierd chest pains that I did not think was a heart attack but I went to the hospital just to be on the safe side. It turned out that it was a heart attack I had 3 blockages which required stents.

better off being cautious and alive than dead!

• Members
I haven't but pay attention for signs.

My dad had his first heart attack at 45. He had a second two years later. He's going to be 68 this year but is in BAD shape. His father died of a heart attack in his 50's.

I'm 41.

Me too. My dad was 51 when he had a triple bypass, and died at 68 from heart attack.Of course, he also smoked like a freight train......

• Members

When is the last time you had a full medical exam? 40 is right around the corner, and it's time to look at blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. It's better to catch things earlier rather than later.

Of course, the doc might want to check out the old prostate. Ask him to use two fingers so you can get a second opinion.

:D

• Members

I had one when I was 30. My heart just plane stopped. I had the paddles and the whole bit. The phrase "heart attack" is a very generic term.

Mine was an electrical short, to put it into laymen's terms. So, at age 45, when my heart starts talking, I listen.

• Members

Me too. My dad was 51 when he had a triple bypass, and died at 68 from heart attack.

Of course, he also smoked like a freight train......

That's only part of it. Family history plays a big role in this.

Certain families are predisposed to high BP, cholesterol and vascular problems. No matter what anyone tells you it is not just smoking, diet and exercise. I worked with a physician who exercised routinely, ate right and his cholesterol was always well over 400!

The signs can vary from person to person. Some have chest pains with varying severity while others may have radiant pain; down the arms or shoulder blades or even confined to the shoulders. The tightness in the chest and difficulty catching your beath are other signs. Even if you're having small twinges you should at least have an electrocardiogram done by your family physician, especially if you're over 40 and have a family history.

We can ignore history but it is dangerous to ignore family history. Be careful.

• Members

Back in May I had what my Cardiologist called "the slightest heart attack ever" The enzymes they measure in the blood were lower then the level at which they would declare that you've definitely had a heart attack, but much, much higher then normal. I was very, very lucky to get such a "mild warning". Thing is, the sensations, which I experienced two nights running, weren't even what I would call pain. More like pressure/heart burn. But I had two blockages that they fixed up, one with a stint. Thanks to the warning, I am now eating healthy and getting regular excercise (fast pace walking for about an hour a day) and hope to never have another, especially one that may be more severe.

Get yourself checked out. If my "sensations" had gone away before my wife and I were already practically to the hospital, like they had the previous night, I might have had the "BIG" one.

• Members

Don't lay in bed at night and agonize over this... like I did. My dad had heart problems in his 60's, still around though, so there's a history. I had some odd chest pain. I tried to ignore it... and was scared to death for a couple of weeks, thinking I was dying.

Denial.

Long story short: I finally went in, got checked and I was fine! No problems; did the stress test and was told I was in pretty good shape for my age. I had a form of pleurisy (spelling?), nothing else.

So I nearly gave myself a heart attack worrying about my heart. If I'd gone in and gotten it checked right away, I'd have saved myself two weeks of agony... mental agony.

Archived