Epi Thunderbird- yeah or neah?

lyricpoet

• Members

After owning a ridiculous 14 basses by 1983 *edit* 2003 (all top sh*t- from Alembic to Zon)- I am down to one and a half basses:

* An A bass Jade 4- excellent bass, no longer made (Albey Baghosian, the luthier [from Waltham, MA] decided he was spending too much time making 'em and worrying about customer satisfaction- wasn't doing what he really does best- gigging- and closed the doors in 2003). This is a J bass up there with Lull, Sadowsky, etc. I totally dig it.

*Atlansia Solitaire- a 1 string bass which I recently purchased from fretless and although I've only owned it a week, I restrung it with a .105 flat tuned to low D. This is no POS bass, the pickup is the secret weapon- loud and proud!

So I want a back up, or another bass (just one! the days of out-owning BOALG are over!) depending on the song, style, etc. Here's what I'm considering:

*Epiphone Thunderbird IV in Natural Sunburst- comes with EMG soapbars, bolt-on neck, knobs are V,V,T. I've read the reviews here at H-C and at MF. I can pick this up for $279 incl S+H at (gulp!) MF, which is $20 off thanks to a flyer with a special source code.

Why? One, because it's different looking, looks cool and was very impressed with the workmanship on the one I tried at GC in Nashua, NH. The Gibson is a neck-thru, otherwise the parts are all the same (including the EMGs- for that I'm not paying $1500 more). I loved how loud without being boomy (and annoying everyone at GC- while EVERY guitar player was annoying me) this baby could go. It's passive and very inexpensive. This is one Gibson rip-off Epi got more than right- there's no reason to even consider the Gibson since except for the neck-through and the woods (no mahogany-fine by me), it has great, almost endless sustain. Out of the 200 reviews I poured through, there were only 2 (!) bad reviews.

Opinions? I need to pull the trigger soon. Lastly, I already have a huge unused but kinda crappy gig bag that WILL fit the T-Bird, so no extra costs there. $279 to my doorstep.:eek:

I realize I've already kind of pre-sold it to myself, so let me know. :)

• Members

I went the GC with the intent of buying one over Labor Day Sale. I wanted to walk out with it, I wanted to take it home and make it mine.

Then I played it and couldn't get over the neck dive. :cry:

Now I'm saving my pennies for a spector 5er.

• Members

Just got the MF scratch and dent sale email. Scrolled through the 9 pages of bass gear and there are several Epi Thunderbirds in there. I like the shape and sound and all, but dont know about the Epi version... Anyone?

This is not going to be a scratch and dent. If you go for it, use source code 707T and tell them it's $279.:thu:

• Members

Then I played it and couldn't get over the neck dive.
:cry:

Yup...that was the only consistent complaint, with about 50% making note of it.

I own a 4" sheeps wool padded strap, with many saying a wide strap was good enough.

Or a more definitive solution was to move the upper strap holder off the horn and onto the back of the neck.

Was it really that bad?. I'm 6'3", 220 pounds, decent shape

My Lord, I would hope a strap like mine would take care of that problem.

• Members

I was not aware that either the Gibson or the Epiphone used EMG pickups-I thought that the Gibson used some in-house ceramic humbucker, and that the Epi used some no-name soapbar.

That said, I found the Epi I played to be kind of dead and uninspiring-it would be an OK backup, but not something I'd be too pleased with as my main axe.

• Members

I was not aware that either the Gibson or the Epiphone used EMG pickups-I thought that the Gibson used some in-house ceramic humbucker, and that the Epi used some no-name soapbar.

That said, I found the Epi I played to be kind of dead and uninspiring-it would be an OK backup, but not something I'd be too pleased with as my main axe.

I was surprised about the EMGs too.

The Epi T-Bird like its $1750 big brother has gone through quite a few iterations, even tough at first glance they all look the same.

Only a few complained about it being muddy/dead/unispiring- I plan to use this with a pick and a good set of fret destroying bright steels;)!

And my A bass is my primary bass- to me it's like playing my old '63 J (which I sold in '83 :( owch!).

I don't know- heck it's $279 w/no S+H charges! And of course I have 45 days to play and decide.

But the $279 price is good (for me, according to a certain Chris at MF) until the end of the day.

Getting closer to pulling the trigger...:cool:

• Members

That's a good price...I also didn't know they came with EMGs. Until now I've only seen them with generic passive soapbars. If I got one, I would probably rewire the whole thing, as wiring seems to be the weak point of every Epiphone I've come across. In the process I'd add a tiny single or dual transistor preamp for about 3-5 dB voltage gain so that cables and effects would be no trouble to drive. Active/passive switchable of course.

• Members

I've had one for a few years now, so I can't vouch for the EMGs, and it does indeed neck dive. That being said, I absolutely love mine, it's my #1. I've had it strung up with .95s tuned to standard E, and strung with .135s tuned down to drop B, and it keeps on trucking. Powerful, gutsy tone, especially with the bridge pup, and at moderate volumes the neck pup sounds almost standup-ish. YMMV, however, especially with the different versions that have been released, and maybe I just got lucky. But at $279, and considering the MF return policy, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

• Members

Yup...that was the only consistent complaint, with about 50% making note of it.

I own a 4" sheeps wool padded strap, with many saying a wide strap was good enough.

Or a more definitive solution was to move the upper strap holder off the horn and onto the back of the neck.

Was it really that bad?. I'm 6'3", 220 pounds, decent shape My Lord, I would hope a strap like mine would take care of that problem.

I'm 6'1" 200 lbs and I usually play a P Special with a 2" strap. I just didn't like the fact that I had to hold it up.

I'll have to go try a wider strap. I still want one. :cry:

534981.jpg

• Members

AwJeezNotThisAgain.jpg

After 30+ years of these basses, my left arm/shoulder ain't broke off yet.

Just because it didn't come out of a Fender-clone-a-rama cookie cutter doesn't mean it is junk. Moving the button & a wide stap will do it.

TBStrapMounts.jpg

Heelbutton2.jpg

It also makes the bass a LOT easier to "do things" with besides just have it plopped against yer stomach.

For what you want it for, do it.

Three warnings:

1) GLUE the straploc screws into the body. I've had 'em come loose.

Toothpicks are for teeth, JB Weld is for fixin' stuff.

2) Keep an eye on the rear bridge studs. If they pull up like this:

EpiStudProblem.jpg

glue them in with Crazy Glue gel.

3) Be prepared to hear comments like:

Why don't you play a Fender(or insert name of a bass shaped like a Fender here)?

How do you get that sound?

I thought Thunderbirds were muddy-sounding!

I didn't know you could slap on a Thunderbird!

The red one looks better in person than this one(IMO)

EpiInEpiCase.jpg

RedHrozontalFace.jpg

• Members

MHO: Chunky neck, boomy, muddy sound with hardly any definition. I would probably buy a used MIM Fender instead.

I played one that was strung up with what looked like D'Addario ProSteels.

The neck was ludicrously thin and fairly narrow. It had loads of bite. It was like a knockoff of my... MIM Fender Jazz. Hahahaha.

Everything is a knockoff of my Jazz.

To me...

:p

• 2 months later...

Archived