do different genres require specific gear?

jonathan_matos5

• Members

I dunno, I don't think the music literally demands specific gear, its more how us bass players as consumers choose to spend our cash on gear.

I still don't get it though when I get strange looks when I turn up with my Washburn and Genz Benz to heavy rock/rock concerts to play. Just because my tone is better than yours doesn't mean you have to stare :freak::D

• Members

I believe if you get into the mindset that you 'need' certain gear to play certain music, you'll always hold yourself back. Bassists don't do it too much, IME, since we have players from Country to Metal playing P-basses into Ampegs and kicking ass.

Guitarists however, get hung up on this a lot. I could play country licks just fine on an EMG-loaded ESP into a Mesa. The world won't implode. Now, it may not be as "perfect" as a Tele into a Twin, but if I can't make it convincing as a player, I've failed. I see so many new players do the "If I get XXX guitar and run it into XXX amp, I'll be able to play XXX music."

IME, if you can't play a type of music on your current gear, new gear changes nothing.

Now before someone goes off on "I can't play the solo to Eruption on a flute!" I'm talking within reason, here, kids :D

• Members

Develop your own tone and style and adapt it to whatever you happen to be playing. There's a local blues guy who hires me for gigs when his bass player can't make it. He and his band are always raving how much they like how I play yet he's always complaining that my playing doesn't have enough low end for him, (I play right above the bridge pup. I could move it down but this guy doesn't pay me enough. ;)). Finally, a few weeks ago, I got tired of listening to him so I just said, "Look, you know my tone by now. If you don't like it then get someone else!". I'm playing with him again tomorrow night.

• Members

I can't play eruption on a flute.

Chances are, I cant play in many metal bands with my line gear, neither.

|

|

V

There's nothing stopping you from playing metal with an upright, with a flute or with a harp.

It might be hard to fit into existing bands, though.

• Members

It may be harder to coax suchandsuch tones out of my rig than something that is geared towards that sound, but, if I went out and invested in that {censored}, I wouldn't be happy with the lack of diversity. I've forced metal gear to do reggae, and I've taken some of the most mellow instruments(Rouge VB with tapewounds borrowed from neighbor after a local club gig) in the area to some hard jams, through some {censored}ty house amplification. It's all up to you, in the end. You and your instrumental voice. :)

Archived