do different genres require specific gear?

jonathan_matos5

• Members

Require? No. But I think it's a player's choice. Back when I was doing blues full time, my old Geddy Jazz/Ampeg V-4/810 rig was a perfect vibe for the tunes. Then I switched to more pop & variety. Could I still have done it with that setup? Sure, in a heartbeat. But I felt I wanted something that was different. That led me to my G&L/Genz setup. Could I go back and play blues full time with this rig? Sure. After all, my tone is still 95% me and my touch. In the end it really comes down to player preference.

• Members

You can play anything with anything. Still, some gear makes a certain job easier than others naturally. One thing I just couldn't nail down was an appropriate heavy rock sound from an Eden/Epifani rig. For a loud heavy band that rig sure made things tough to get right, and sit right with the whole band. Conversely, my current rig needs no tweaking at all to get what I need. Could I play this music with either? Of course, but the current rig works many times better for it.

And BTW where is it writen that Ampeg = rock? I've got a GB and a bunch of 12's that would fight over that!;)

• Members

You can play anything with anything. Still, some gear makes a certain job easier than others naturally. One thing I just couldn't nail down was an appropriate heavy rock sound from an Eden/Epifani rig. For a loud heavy band that rig sure made things tough to get right, and sit right with the whole band. Conversely, my current rig needs no tweaking at all to get what I need. Could I play this music with either? Of course, but the current rig works many times better for it.

And BTW where is it writen that Ampeg = rock? I've got a GB and a bunch of 12's that would fight over that!
;)

And my Ampeg stuff would fight back wonderfully. ;) I will admit that I'd LOVE to have a Genz 412 Neo if they ever make one...just because the 212 with my head sounded amazzzinnngggg. If I ever get a "compact" rig, it'll be a neopack/112 neo...I loved that little thing.

Archived