Burma / Myanmar

bholder

• Members

People who think the Junta is going to collapse on its own have no idea the history of the Country.

The Military didn't come into power in 1988, it's officially been a military government since 1962, and it was mired in a civil war from the moment of it's independence in 1948 (during which time the military was the substantive political force).

It's a country that's officially been under military rule for 3/4 of it's existence. The military is the 12th largest in the world and numbers 1/2 a million troops. These guys are also no slouches. The brass are the ones who fought the civil war, they're cagey old dogs. Removing them from power is going to take a very large stick (unfortunately).

As for China, they're Myanmar/Burma's largest trading partner, yet have also protected some of the most vocal exiled critics of the regime. China could care less what happens in the country as long as it stays stable. If that stability is brought about by the removal of the junta and establishing a democracy, China would be the first to extend the hand of friendship to Suu Kyi. If stability can be brought about by quietly repressing dissent, then they're all for that...The only thing they don't want is a loud, noticeable mess...They care nothing for the Burmese people.

• Members

my brother is there right now ...he and his girlfriend went last Monday, back on the 5th Oct ( I hope to God)! I tried to send him an e-mail but he his mobile doo-hicky set to auto-respond 'I'm away' ....I'd rather it say ' I'm alive'

hey, King Kashue, are you a Nut? I like Cashew Nuts

• Members

People who think the Junta is going to collapse on its own have no idea the history of the Country.

The Military didn't come into power in 1988, it's officially been a military government since 1962, and it was mired in a civil war from the moment of it's independence in 1948 (during which time the military was the substantive political force).

As for China, they're Myanmar/Burma's largest trading partner, yet have also protected some of the most vocal exiled critics of the regime. China could care less what happens in the country as long as it stays stable. If that stability is brought about by the removal of the junta and establishing a democracy, China would be the first to extend the hand of friendship to Suu Kyi. If stability can be brought about by quietly repressing dissent, then they're all for that...The only thing they don't want is a loud, noticeable mess...They care nothing for the Burmese people.

Aren't 'people' saying similar things about Iran?

'They care nothing for the Burmese people.' Sounds an awful lot like our government. Granted, we're not a military dictatorship but it does seem all governments, including ours, does whatever is necessary for self preservation and its' continual growth.

• Members

Aren't 'people' saying similar things about Iran?

I doubt it would be as drastic as a revolutionary uprising, like something we're seeing now in Burma. More a slow transition as the older conservative generation dies off and is replaced by the new crowd who want to be on good terms with everyone else and don't care nearly as much about religious stuff.

• Members

It's a country that's officially been under military rule for 3/4 of it's existence. The military is the 12th largest in the world and numbers 1/2 a million troops. These guys are also no slouches. The brass are the ones who fought the civil war, they're cagey old dogs. Removing them from power is going to take a very large stick (unfortunately).

+1 and the fact that there are no other 'institutions' able to lend support to the people makes it even harder. That is why the monks are such a point of contention...they are the only group, other than the army, with any sway...but a 'sway' that doesn't include the resources to back any revolt.

I went to Burma/Myanmar a few times in 2002/2003. That is a POOR POOR place...I can't imagine any situation where the average people could arm themselves to significantly challenge the powers that be. It is still the kind of place where 1000s of people can vanish with nary a whisper. Not too many places I have been to that make Cambodia look transparent and wealthy but that is one. People were very friendly and the natural beauty of the country is stunning.....there are some people working really hard there to try to help the Burmese people improve their quality of life but any non-direct aid gets channeled using the North Korean formula....70% leadership, 25% army 3% handling fee 2% to the people.

China needs their wood...They are quickly deforesting the country to meet their building needs. As long as they have free run at Burma's natural resources little will change.

You know in Thailand they import Burmese for cheap labor...shocking to see a group of guys working heavy construction in flip flops....

Archived