Burma / Myanmar

bholder

• Members

So, why aren't we doing something on behalf of freedom and democracy in Burma? All this Bush talk of spreading democracy and freedom being "on the march" is utter crap if we just stand by and let a military junta slaughter peaceful civilians who are protesting for democracy.

Oh, that's right, no oil in Burma. Sorry, guys. :mad:

• Members

http://feinstein.senate.gov/03Releases/r-burmaenacted1.htm

By signing the Burmese Freedom Act into law, President Bush puts the United States on record in support of Suu Kyi's immediate release and the legitimate democratic aspirations of the Burmese people as expressed by the 1990 parliamentary elections, decisively won by the NLD. Today's action should send a clear message to the junta: either live up to your commitments or face the consequences.

From U. S. Senator Dianne Feinstein's website, not exactly a big Bush supporter.

• Members

How come when there's torture, murder and slaughter at the hands of Saddam Hussein you don't want to do anything about, but when there's torture, murder and slaughter in Myanmar you complain because we don't do anything about it?

I wish you'd make up your mind.

• Members

I heard on the radio this morning the US government froze the assets of the Burmese government already.

What else should we be doing?

Someone in the dem ranks want us to drop some boots on the ground or are they just whining?

Anyone know what the UN is doing?

• Members

I heard on the radio this morning the US government froze the assets of the Burmese government already.

Someone in the dem ranks want us to drop some boots on the ground or are they just whining?

UN is 'talking'. Like that'll stop the bullets...

• Members

Booga-Booga-Booga!!!

Worked for me...:)

This is a revolution that the Burmese people must take up and win. They have a future democratic leader under perpetual house arrest.

I bet this Junta falls like a deck of cards if even after the killing starts the people don't give a {censored} and just get madder and go after these mafia-like creeps.

• Members

Booga-Booga-Booga!!!

Worked for me...
:)

This is a revolution that the Burmese people must take up and win. They have a future democratic leader under perpetual house arrest.

I bet this Junta falls like a deck of cards if even after the killing starts the people don't give a {censored} and just get madder and go after these mafia-like creeps.

Stoppit you're scaring me, asshole. :p

It won't turn out well if they start killing monks. I have the feeling that may happen soon.

Why would anyone want to fight over a dead journalist? You get caught in the {censored} storm and you are liable to become a turd. It's too bad he was killed but they know the risks.

Fill me in. Anyone know how this got started? I've read a few news articles on it and it's not quite clear to me.

• Members

Because my dear fellow, they ain't got nay oil boss...etc

Okay, there are plenty of reasons to disagree over the invasion of Iraq, but it couldn't have been about oil. I'm tired of people saying this because it simply isn't true. We could've gone in there and taken all their oil resources. We didn't. It doesn't matter anyways, since Iraq is actually a net importer of oil now. While it's true that the middle east in general has a lot of oil resources, the United States gets the vast majority of it's oil from North and South America. I'm not going to fault anyone for wishing we never went into Iraq, but the oil argument is best left to clueless college-age hipsters.

• Members

The Burmese people will rise up against their leaders and bring them down. A true revolution from within, the way they're meant to happen.

I think Western governments are doing the right thing and staying from directly intervening. Instead, they should be giving support to the uprising, any kind of support they could use. Radio broadcasts, leaflet bombing encouraging the protestors and telling them the world is behind them, giving communications aid to the leaders... all they need is help and encouragement.

• Members

The Burmese people will rise up against their leaders and bring them down. A true revolution from within, the way they're meant to happen.

I think Western governments are doing the right thing and staying from directly intervening. Instead, they should be giving support to the uprising, any kind of support they could use. Radio broadcasts, leaflet bombing encouraging the protestors and telling them the world is behind them, giving communications aid to the leaders... all they need is help and encouragement.

And guns. Let's drop guns, too.

;)

• Members

Okay, there are plenty of reasons to disagree over the invasion of Iraq, but it couldn't have been about oil. I'm tired of people saying this because it simply isn't true. We could've gone in there and taken all their oil resources. We didn't. It doesn't matter anyways, since Iraq is actually a net importer of oil now. While it's true that the middle east in general has a lot of oil resources, the United States gets the vast majority of it's oil from North and South America. I'm not going to fault anyone for wishing we never went into Iraq, but the oil argument is best left to clueless college-age hipsters.

If you had any clue you would realize I was joking... hence the colloquial slag, it was hardly a serious or substantiated comment... barely even a throw away gesture.

So get over yourself, "clueless collage-age hipsters.." please...:rolleyes: (KK patent pending :D)

It's easy to forget that politicians are more than often businessmen with their own agenda, or backed by businessmen expecting a return on their investment. I can't particularly be bothered to dig up articles on this subject, but it was a real intellectual talking point (in Europe at least) when the invasion began. The US have admirably changed their stance and doing the very best they can with this abysmal situation, which is their current position.... it wasn't always if I remember correctly.

There are always two sides to a story, so don't blindly dismiss things please, if you expect to have a reasonable exchange of opinion and information.

• Members

Dropping boots on the ground isn't really a viable option. Forces are already stretched pretty thin. Plus, China would be majorly pissed. And whatever you say, China isn't exactly a nation anyone wants to mess with. Population in excess of 1.5 billion? Check. Vast industrial and economic power? Check. Nuclear weapons? Check.

The UN is doing as much as it can with one of the 5 members of the Security Council refusing to do anything to Burma. China wants things to stay the way they are, they're basically the only country that can influence the regime there.

One powerful lever other countries have over China is the Olympics. Simply threaten a boycott and that will bring them into line. But will they? Nope.

• Members

And guns. Let's drop guns, too.

I believe they did that in WWII over some of the Nazi-occupied countries. They were these crappy little stamped metal single shot pistols that fired a .45 ACP round. The point was to use it to kill a soldier then steal his gun and fight for the resistance. I can't remember what they were called but they did in fact to this.

• Members

I believe they did that in WWII over some of the Nazi-occupied countries. They were these crappy little stamped metal single shot pistols that fired a .45 ACP round. The point was to use it to kill a soldier then steal his gun and fight for the resistance. I can't remember what they were called but they did in fact to this.

That would be the FP-45 Liberator.

• Members

Dropping boots on the ground isn't really a viable option. Forces are already stretched pretty thin. Plus, China would be
majorly
pissed. And whatever you say, China isn't exactly a nation anyone wants to mess with. Population in excess of 1.5 billion? Check. Vast industrial and economic power? Check. Nuclear weapons? Check.

The UN is doing as much as it can with one of the 5 members of the Security Council refusing to do anything to Burma. China wants things to stay the way they are, they're basically the only country that can influence the regime there.

One powerful lever other countries have over China is the Olympics. Simply threaten a boycott and that will bring them into line. But will they? Nope.

Yup, very similar to the North Korean situation.

Archived