New bass day! (Highway 1 content)

rummy

• Members

As some of you know, I bought a MIM fretless about a month ago. I spent a lot of time setting it up, and gave it a lot of TLC in that short time. As much as I liked the fretless, I felt it sounded too "smooth jazz." I wanted some fret noise, and some defined edge. So I returned the fretless for a Highway 1 from Musiciansfriend. I bought it dent & scratched, so I got a good discount. The only thing I noticed when I got it was dry as bone fretboard. It was so dry, that it looked white and ashy. It made me sick!!! I went nuts with the fret doctor stuff a couple times, and brought back the original luster. Other than that, the bass was in brand new condition. I'm still trying to set up the bass the way I want. The Stingray has spoiled me as far as playing, so trying to get this Jazz to play like that has been kinda hard, but I'm getting there. And, I love the white nitro/tort finish. Very 62ish. Let me know what you think! :wave:

jazz2.jpg

jazz5.jpg

• Members
So what was the scratch and/or dent?

The only things I noticed that makes this dent and scatch are slight fretwear, no plastic on the pickguard, and a little indentation where a allen wrench rubbed against the pickguard by the truss rod. My guess is someone boughg it, kept it for a month, and returned it. Looks good to me!

• Moderators

hey now, when the office is on tv you cannot be taking pictures of bass gear. unless that was a commerical for the office then we can let that slide.

Good catch. It was the middle of the night and I was watching the Office for a second time. But I was chatting online with Guttermouth and he needed to see pics. You can't deny a fellow gear whore pics. :thu:

• Members

Ooh, pretty! Yeah, I'll definitely have to make my way to the city soon. It's been a while.

Plus, I'm driving myself NUTS trying set this up. I'm still trying to figure out if fret buzz is a bad thing as long as I can play the notes. THe way I have it set up right now, there's a lot of buzz when my intonation isn't spot on. Or when I'm sliding around the strings, there's nasty fret rattles. BUT! As long as I'm playing accurately, it plays beautifully! So, I don't know if this is acceptable. Fretbuzz is annoying, but it doesn't relaly interfere with the sound coming out of the amp... The Stingray is more forgiving when it comes to intonation. My finger could be slightly off, but it'd ring the sound without buzzing.

• Members
We'll figure that out. If it plays well when you have your fingers directly behind the frets, you are set up well and the buzzing is a technique issue.

I'm hoping so. I remember my having this exact conversation with you when I first brought the Stingray over. :)

Archived