Does anyone else here hate control plates on Jazz basses?

justinbass

• Members

I hate control plates. I hate top routed basses. A well crafted bass should NOT have metal plates and chunks of plastic screwed all over it. EVER. All that means to me is that the bass was hacked out of a factory in the cheapest and quickest way possible. Basses should be sleek, seamless and sexy. Not covered up in god awful plastic and metal plates.:mad:

• Members

L-1329

I agree that most of the time re-routing looks better. But I submit this as evidence that pickguards can look sweet.

SN11%5Cpics%5Cstssbn04.jpg

Ha! that's not a pickguard, it's inlaid and the bass is still rear routed. But you are right, THAT particular piece of metal does look cool!

• Moderators

All that means to me is that the bass was hacked out of a factory in the cheapest and quickest way possible.

That's a pretty broad generalization. I'll agree that your preference aesthetically is for the rear routed basses, but there are plenty of finely crafted top routed basses as well. In fact, it is usually easier to rout a goofy looking swimming pool (control cavity) than it is to make a nice top routed bass.

• Members

That's a pretty broad generalization. I'll agree that your preference aesthetically is for the rear routed basses, but there are plenty of finely crafted top routed basses as well. In fact, it is usually easier to rout a goofy looking swimming pool (control cavity) than it is to make a nice top routed bass.

It was a thinly veiled jab at Fender's.:p

If you can't pull that pickguard off and still have a bass looking well finished and complete, then it 'aint no bass I'd ever want.:D

• Members

I can't stand them. They look wrong to me, regardless of color.

Why can't they have a one piece pickguard like this?.snip pic

jazz retro and general practicalities make the metal..or other material down leg on the jazz a good idea

it can be done in splt material of course to match..

remember the 4 string rays still have that ugly piece of scrap metal

and listen to them..:wave:

• Members

I love Fenders, I love jazz basses, it's all personal preference...

There are some rear-routed basses I love as well! Your bass looks good to me. What are those white pups? That must be an aftermarket plate... Matt

That is a late 80s MIJ Jazz Fender Squire. In that picture it is 100% stock.

Now it has a black/white/black pickguard, black pickup covers and a bad ass II bridge. Still no control plate.

Action pic with me making a silly face.

black.jpg

Archived