the die hard ampeg guy............

superiorparts

• Members

so my soundman and i are doing sound for this outdoor music festival a couple of weeks ago and we supplied all the pa and backline for all the bands, if they wanted to use it. i was letting the bands use my bass rig, gk 700rbII, korg rack tuner, on top of two genz benz 4x10 cabs. it's a decent rig and sounds awesome. well this bass player for the next band starts hauling up this beat up ampeg 4x10 and an ashdown head(which sounded great) and i asked him if he wanted to use my rig so he wouldnt have to haul his in and set it up. mine was already DI'd and checked out. he replied "no, i hate gallien krueger and genz benz. my ampeg is in the shop." to which i replied "that's the damn thing about ampeg, always in the shop. sorry to hear that. never had any trouble out of gk!" thought it was kinda funny! to each his own but i thought everybody liked gk gear! guess i was wrong!

i guess gk would have been his third choice since he played through the ashdown. the ashdown sounded great though, sounded better than any ampeg i ever heard.

• Members

That's pretty funny.

I try to use backlines at all possible venues, or at least just swap out the heads. Moving cabs and repositioning/miking is just a waste of time, when so many times you don't EVEN mic up...

...which goes back to the "What should I upgrade first? My rig or bass?" question... ;)

Fairly obvious :D

• Members

That's pretty funny.

I try to use backlines at all possible venues, or at least just swap out the heads. Moving cabs and repositioning/miking is just a waste of time, when so many times you don't EVEN mic up...

...which goes back to the "What should I upgrade first? My rig or bass?" question...
;)

Fairly obvious
:D

Then, what part of the rig should I upgrade 1st? The head or cab? :thu:

• Members

The best upgrade is lessons.

+1

Yeh totally! I've been self-taught for 9 years, and I just started getting lessons very recently. Holy {censored}!!!!!!!!! I thought I was pretty good, but I realised I'm doing so much wrong. my playing is skyrocketing now!

My prob was that I bought a bass, and joined a "band" (a mate had a guitar, and another mate had some drums - we all sucked) two days later. So I got thrown in the deep end, and made alot of compromises on my playing (like I still can't read music, and my slap needs ALOT of work) because I had to focus on just hitting notes and playing fast to keep up with these guys that had been playing for a year longer than I had.

• Members

The best upgrade is lessons.

+1 (or 2, I guess)

I used to do a number of good-size shows with multiple-band bills. I've lost count of how many times I've seen a guy with utilitarian amplification gear who has a developed an artistic touch on the instrument sound better than the guys whose rigs look like a booth at a NAMM show.

• Members

+1 (or 2, I guess)

I used to do a number of good-size shows with multiple-band bills. I've lost count of how many times I've seen a guy with utilitarian amplification gear who has a developed an artistic touch on the instrument sound better than the guys whose rigs look like a booth at a NAMM show.

+ 3 now?

I have yet to find a rig that I can't sound good (enough) through. A million people have said it. The sound is in the hands. I have to try less hard to sound good on some basses and through some rigs, but I've learned how to adapt and sound good (enough) through too many backline rigs to be picky about gear in a live setting.

I love it when I only have to show up with a bass and a cord to a gig.

• Members

I didn't always but into the whole "the sound is in the hands" statement. But to more I play, the more I get it.

I still don't buy into it. I think the feel of the music is in the hands but the tone is mainly in the gear. There is only so much EQ'ing you can do with your hands.

Dan

• Members

I still don't buy into it. I think the feel of the music is in the hands but the tone is mainly in the gear. There is only so much EQ'ing you can do with your hands.

Dan

I don't think the tone is just mainly in the gear. It's a combination of all things, amp, bass and player (I'll skip the cable quips because it's really, really overplayed) but mostly the player is the one that has control of the entire process from beginning to end. I think personally, people just have too much frustration because they don't sound like they want to and are always on the search for the "holy grail sound" that they're looking for. Truth is, some people have it and some don't. If you go with the sound that you're producing though, you just might find you have something that no one will ever duplicate.

That's kind of the nice thing about music how people emulate other people because they're trying to recreate the previous process. I've never read, heard or seen anyone though play the exact same way, with the same music note for note, the same equipment and the playing in itself be it slap, pick or finger playing.

• Members

I'll play through anything and it won't change how I am as player, I'll always sound like me... just me through an ampeg or an eden or EBS or etc etc.

+1 Yup, basically my thoughts.

Just because I play through a top of the line amp doesn't mean my playing tone is going to improve compared to if I was running through a {censored}ty amp.

If you suck on bass you'll still suck no matter how much money you drop on gear. Just look at lug!

• Members

I've eschewed using backline gear if getting my stuff up and running wasn't too big a hassle...the main reason for that being I used programmed effects and they're kind of tailored to my rig.

If it is a hassle or there is some severe changeover limit, of course you just do the gig.

Archived