Fretless Project update (pics)

Westsailor

• Members

This is/was a 3rd world P/J clone I decided to turn into a fretless. I basically replaced everything, nut to bridge. Just got the last coat of paint on the body yesterday. I really could/should do a bit more rubbing/polishing but I couldn't wait to see what it was gonna look like.

Major props to that good looking DRF, err.. Soul Patch and slapthefunkyfour for donating the pups (I still haven't figured out why the SD's that Soul Patch sent have only one lead). Thanks guys....

Being top routed I had to do something to trim the P pups. The orig pickguard was so messed up (the screws had rusted and stained the material) and it didn't fit after I carved the top so I ended up trimming most of it away. I didn't like how it looked at first but actually I think I'm starting to dig the 'minimalist' shape. Still needs a bit 'o trimming but it'll do in the meantime (if not new pearl, maybe tortoise?). Whadday think.... chrome or black pickguard screws?

body3small.jpg

Kinda hard to tell but the color is a creamy 'vintage' white. I was shooting for the old Telecaster 'Aged Ivory'. Didn't quite make it since the 2 part epoxy paint was mixed by eye by a Guatemalan so how could he know what a Telecaster looked like.

body1small.jpg

The fretboard turned out very nice. Very smooth and slick. I really didn't want the lines to be so dark but I had to use the materials available (Walnut Veneer)

fretboardsmall.jpg

Not bad for a job done in the jungle, eh?

Now, the question is, do I break it back down, polish some more or get on with the wiring. {censored} it... I wanna hear what it sounds like :)

• Members
This is/was a 3rd world P/J clone I decided to turn into a fretless. I basically replaced everything, nut to bridge. Just got the last coat of paint on the body yesterday. I really could/should do a bit more rubbing/polishing but I couldn't wait to see what it was gonna look like.

Major props to that good looking DRF, err.. Soul Patch and slapthefunkyfour for donating the pups (I still haven't figured out why the SD's that Soul Patch sent have only one lead). Thanks guys....

Being top routed I had to do something to trim the P pups. The orig pickguard was so messed up (the screws had rusted and stained the material) and it didn't fit after I carved the top so I ended up trimming most of it away. I didn't like how it looked at first but actually I think I'm starting to dig the 'minimalist' shape. Still needs a bit 'o trimming but it'll do in the meantime (if not new pearl, maybe tortoise?). Whadday think.... chrome or black pickguard screws?

body3small.jpg

Kinda hard to tell but the color is a creamy 'vintage' white. I was shooting for the old Telecaster 'Aged Ivory'. Didn't quite make it since the 2 part epoxy paint was mixed by eye by a Guatemalan so how could he know what a Telecaster looked like.

body1small.jpg

The fretboard turned out very nice. Very smooth and slick. I really didn't want the lines to be so dark but I had to use the materials available (Walnut Veneer)

fretboardsmall.jpg

Not bad for a job done in the jungle, eh?

Now, the question is, do I break it back down, polish some more or get on with the wiring. {censored} it... I wanna hear what it sounds like
:)

you otta work for NASA......outstanding job

• Members

you otta work for NASA......outstanding job

Na.... then it'd be designed by committee and we'd still be discussing what color knobs to use.

And alas, no before pics. I always forget to do that, mainly because it starts out as trash & I'm thinking it'll never turn out anyway. Suffice to say it was a fire engine red clunker that was so far gone I couldn't even turn the pots. I had to cut new slots in most of the screws to get em out. Interestingly, the ONLY part(s) that still looked 'new' were the tuners. Since the neck/tuners were much better quality then the rest of the H/W I'm thinking whoever built this bass just 'manufactured' the body/etc. and outsourced the neck assy. I do have this 'in process' pic tho:

body.jpg

• Members

Hey that's nice! The body contours you carved in are really well done, and it looks so much better than a Fender shape. Looks kind of like a larger dinky P. Only aesthetic thing I'd mention is the 'line' of the pots seems to clash with the lines of the bass, but that's a minor thing. Overall though, nice job.:thu:

• Members

Hey that's nice! The body contours you carved in are really well done, and it looks so much better than a Fender shape. Looks kind of like a larger dinky P. Only aesthetic thing I'd mention is the 'line' of the pots seems to clash with the lines of the bass, but that's a minor thing. Overall though, nice job.
:thu:

TBH, I used the dinky P as inspiration. It had the overall outline/shape of a Fender but no contour. I just had to do something about the slab sides.

and yea, I know what you mean about the pot placement. Odd huh... Like they routed the cavity upside down. Wouldn't surprise me one bit though. I have some stories you just wouldn't believe about getting work done on stuff down here.

• Members

TBH, I used the dinky P as inspiration. It had the overall outline/shape of a Fender but no contour. I just had to do something about the slab sides.

and yea, I know what you mean about the pot placement. Odd huh... Like they routed the cavity upside down. Wouldn't surprise me one bit though. I have some stories you just wouldn't believe about getting work done on stuff down here.

I bet! BTW I like your's better than the dinky, it just seems to have much better lines to the body. You did a great job on that.:cool:

• Members

Ewwwww.....

....but I somehow like it.
:freak:

haha... I know EXACTLY what you mean.

There are all sorts of 'I wish this was not like that' about it but funny thing is, taken overall, somehow it's growing on me.

Still, it's not black w/ a black headstock & H/W with an ebony fretboard ('scuse me while I change my shorts).

• Members

Really nice job on the body and especially the paint, btw. I can never seem to get paint to behave anywhere near that well. (That's part of why I'm fond of rubbed oil finishes on my projects.)

Thanks. FYI, the secret to a good paint job is a good, well adjusted gun (fortunately I had access to one) and the absolute best quality paint you can obtain. I lucked out as I have no idea what brand paint I used but it sure shot nice.

• Members

What exactly did you use to fill in the empty frets? You said walnut veneer, but did it come in thin strips or did you have to slice the wood down to make it fit? I'm pondering doing the same to my Squier P.

Veneer is natural wood but almost paper thin. I bummed some off the local shipwright. It came on a big roll and he gave me a scrap strip, oh 6" X 24". I'm sure you could find the same stuff at a craft store (or online)

So after I pulled the frets I cleaned the slots with a fret saw (I happened to have it for boatwork). For each slot I cut a small strip of veneer about 1/2"tall & a tad wider than the slot I was filling. I thinly 'coated' the veneer with gap filling superglue and WORKED FAST.

Once they were all filled I carefully shaved the excess with a razor blade. I then sanded the fretboard with 400 grit and 800 grit using a hard rubber block that I could bend to maintain the radius.

Can't take credit for the technique. Here's my 'reference' with step by step pics showing exactly how to do it.

http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/

• Members

I think it looks vaguely like MTD now.
:)

It'd look awesome with creme pickup covers
:love:

I came this >||

I'm impressed with the Gotoh 201 bridge I got for it so I'm gonna get another one for my Yammie. Next time someone is coming down from the States I'll order the bridge and get the creme covers.

Then again, I'm kinda liking the contrast. But for 6 bucks or so it's worth at least a look.

Archived