Recording Advice Needed please

Azz301

• Members

Ok guys, I'll tell you the situation, then what my (uninformed) opinion is - then feel free to inform me of where i'm going wrong, or tell me that i'm 100% correct! :cool:

So I manage a few local underage bands, and one of them is particularly good. They're recording over the next few weekends. One of the guitards was worried about his sound. He had a crappy amp, but we decided to buy the one he wants this week (I'm helping him out with the cash) so there is no prob. The dip{censored} has mentioned his concern to the guy doing the recording. The audio engineer initially said he doesn't want to fiddle with everyones sound, he just wants them to come in and record their bits. After hearing the guitard worried, he's decided to take their clean signal straight from the guitars/bass and model everything himself, including the distortion for a metal band.

[My opinion]

Why model sounds when you use quality gear? Both guitards (now) have top quality Randall stacks (can't remeber the model), and the bassist is using my GK 700RB. It seems silly to try to model something that the band might not be able to replicate live, especially when they've got pretty good gear (especially for 16-17year olds).

The Line6 stuff has a GK800RB model - why use that when you've got a GK head sitting there? Why try to find a good distortion model when you've got guitar amps sitting there similar to the ones that Dimebag Darrell was using for years?

[/My opinion]

What do you guys reckon??

• Moderators
What do you guys reckon??

I'd do both. I'd record the really nice guitar amps and I would also DI clean before the amp. I would take about a 3-5 ms difference between the recorded clean in and the recorded amp. Find that amp model for that guitar on the DI track and use both tracks. MMmm. Thickness. As far as the bass goes, just use the DI signal out of the back of the GK. Forget the modeling all together.

• Members

I'd do both. I'd record the really nice guitar amps and I would also DI clean before the amp. I would take about a 3-5 ms difference between the recorded clean in and the recorded amp. Find that amp model for that guitar on the DI track and use both tracks. MMmm. Thickness. As far as the bass goes, just use the DI signal out of the back of the GK. Forget the modeling all together.

Yup!

• Members

sounds to me like you got yourself a lazy ass engineer.it's waaay easier to hook up a modeler,cut a dip at 2k and call it done.

tell that bitch to get off his ass and put up some real mics or go elsewhere.

damn, he beat me. As usual, Guttermouth takes the words straight out of the mouth. Sounds exactly like pure lazyness to me, because he doesn't have to screw around or experiment with microphone placement or fiddle for ages to get "that sound".

Besides, so many other people use the modellers now, if these guys are good and they have their own gear and sound, why create a recording that they can't realistically recreate live?

+1 to what Thudmaker said too, particularly with bass. Believe me, theres nothing that sounds sexier than when we recorded my amp, DI'ed it as well as micing the cab with an SM57 (wasn't perfect, but meh, i just wanted some of the cab sound in the recording).

If the mongrel is gonna be that lazy, take your business somewhere else, I'm sure theres someone who will be quite happy to dedicate the time and effort to doing it properly. Failing that come to Brisbane :D although I don't own a studio...:p

Let us know how it works out. Oh, and post mp3's of the finished product!

Archived