recomend me some Neurosis

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

Whoa, that's a pretty brutal blasting. What do you dislike about the engineering? I'm intrigued...

i just don't think albini's artsy rawness does them any justice.seeing them live so many times i think they lose alot of power due to the way he does things.

now, granted, i think albini has done some good stuff and his engineering for them has gotten better over the course of the last 5 (?) albums.

specifically i don't like his drum sounds and guitar sounds on their records. his mixes are ok - i just don't think the roomy drums and distant guitars are good for most heavy bands.

i've got buddies that recorded at albini's place and came out with a fantastic metal record so i know it's possible in his building.it's almost like he's trying to keep from doing anything that would be on your prototypical heavy recording.which in and of itself is not a bad thing-experimentation is cool- but when it takes away from the bands sound, it's bad.

• Members

Times of Grace

Given to The Rising

The Eye of Every Storm

A Sun That Never Sets (maybe this is my fav one)

Through Silver in Blood

this is THE band that has been getting consistantly better and better and better with time.... Given To The Rising is a masterpiece... i was expecting something amazing, but the new album is GODLY!!!

• Members

i just don't think albini's artsy rawness does them any justice.seeing them live so many times i think they lose alot of power due to the way he does things.

now, granted, i think albini has done some good stuff and his engineering for them has gotten better over the course of the last 5 (?) albums.

specifically i don't like his drum sounds and guitar sounds on their records. his mixes are ok - i just don't think the roomy drums and distant guitars are good for most heavy bands.

i've got buddies that recorded at albini's place and came out with a fantastic metal record so i know it's possible in his building.it's almost like he's trying to keep from doing anything that would be on your prototypical heavy recording.which in and of itself is not a bad thing-experimentation is cool- but when it takes away from the bands sound, it's bad.

Fair enough...in that case it is a question of aesthetics. I prefer the depth and distance on the drums in particular. I believe it adds additional sonic perspective to the tracks, which I consider a fundamental part of the Neurosis sound. I don't view Neurosis as a typically heavy band...more of a Brian Eno project gone horribly awry...and awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived