I am forced to use Windows and Dell.

slapthefunkyfour

• Members

With all this talk about OSX, macbook, Vista, I just have to say that in my industry, Windows is pretty much the only option. I'll be ordering a new workstation very soon, and I think I'm going with Vista instead of XP pro. I've never even seen Vista, but in this business, you have to stay on top of the latest technology. I hope I don't have any wierd problems.

My company also has some kind of agreement with Dell. That is the only manufacturer I can use at work.

I don't know enough about computers to really know a difference yet. Maybe someday I will.

• Members

Our company specifically said that we will not support Vista for some time. We are still requesting XP on all new PC purchases.

I have played with it in a laptop and it took about 4 days to realize it is a snazzy resource hoging interface with no real benefit and went back to XP.

• Members

Vista
is
a wierd problem. I think you should have gone with XP, personally. You shouldn't have any problems with Vista though, as long as you don't actually try and run something with it.

Well, I haven't ordered anything yet, I'll make sure I do some research on Vista vs. XP for the programs I'm using. Ultimately, it's up to my boss, but I can influence him either way.

• Members

Vista is indeed a strange problem.

You can tell it's a well thought OS that wisely uses your computer's ressources. It's not very hungry but still take a fair amount of power to run properly.

Now it's so paranoid and uptight that most of the time, security processes are the only things that will prevent applications from running properly.

• Members

Maybe I should mention that this will be no ordinary computer. High end workstation. 2 quad core processors, 1 gig open gl video card, 16 gigs RAM, 200 gig 17,000 rpm hard drives with 8 gig flash memory (mirrored), 500+ watt power supply, so yeah, about as cool as you can get. That way, it will be outdated by next week.

• Members

Maybe I should mention that this will be no ordinary computer. High end workstation. 2 quad core processors, 1 gig open gl video card, 16 gigs RAM, 200 gig 17,000 rpm hard drives with 8 gig flash memory (mirrored), 500+ watt power supply, so yeah, about as cool as you can get. That way, it will be outdated by next week.

:lol::lol::freak:

you lost me on the first lap with that 3/4 race cam fitted to your preamp

Archived