Microphones?

Carcinogen

• Members

I've been debating the purchase of a Sennheiser e902 to record my bass with. I like a really heavy, chunky sound reminscant of GWAR's Beefcake the Mighty. I have attained a satisfactory tone through my amp, but now I'm just having trouble capturing it. Any other bass mics I should look at? I suppose I should say that I'm already biased towards Sennheiser because the e906 kicks so much ass for recording guitars and snare drums, so I figure why not buy another multi purpose Sennheiser?

• Moderators

I think the 902 is a good call. When you are recording, I would also use a DI box out of the Amp's preamp or before the preamp (your preference). That way if for some reason the mic doesn't quite capture some frequency you were looking for, you may be able to find it by blending it with the recorded DI signal. That way also allows you to reamp and try different mic(s) placements.

• Members

I'd actually try some large diaphragm condenser mics instead of drum mics. But, out of habit, I always reach for a LDC first.

The mics that sound better for drums (or guitar) do so for a reason. And that reason doesn't always equate to bass guitar.

If you have a 902 you can get your hands on, I'd definitely say try it out. I've gotten some really good recordings using the most unlikely of microphones. At the same time, I personally would expect to end up using a different mic for bass guitar.

my .02

YMMV

• Members

Nice GWAR reference. I would try a bunch of things. My Sure beta whatever kick doesn't sound as good as a 57. I would try something like the 57 on the cab, a line out from your amp and a large diaphragm condenser like 10 feet away. Some blend of those three has got to sound good.

Yo.

• Members

I'm kind of thinking like PW is. If you like the sound of your amp/cab, then perhaps a good large diaphragm condensor at a distance is the way to go. Try it dry, but if you don't like that add in a mic pre to dial in what you want. Close micing isn't going to give you the sound you hear, and of course, neither is DI-ing out.

Archived