Country Band

Low Tone

• Members

Oh, and since I backed out.... he replaced me with another coworker, more suited to it, and also brought in another guy to play pedal steel and some piano. The now 5 piece band sounds good, but I watched a gig and thought that there was no way I could do that on a regular basis.

• Members
It's where the money is

it's steady

the chicks REALLY dig the band

This is what everyone else is pretty much saying.
The thing is, none of those are selling points to me.

1) I could care less about the money. I want to play music and have a good time doing it. Money is just gravy on the potatos. I'll take it if it's there and I'll play even if it's not.

2) I only really want to play out once or maybe twice a month. I don't want every weekend booked with gigs since I still need time for family stuff as well.

3) I'm married. If the chicks started digging me too much, my wife would likely knock them out. :D

• Members

When you are not playing, word gets around that you are not playing...so no one calls you on a new project.

When you are playing regularly, word gets around that you are playing regularly...and people can come listen to you...and people will call you for their projects. The more exposure you get, the more gigs you will be offered.

Try it. If you don't like it, you can back out. But you might surprise yourself.

• Members

Country attracts women. They like to dance. Women attracy men. They like to drink. Bars like people who spend money and pay out the ass for a band that can pack the joint.

Economics 101 bro. And the eye candy doesn't suck either.

Then again, I don't play for the $ so I won't do a country gig. ;)

• Members

LT...if you guys really want to kick it, find a good female singer (or two). I'm convinced that my band is as successful as it is because we don't do "guy" country.

An opinionated +1

Although not a rule of thumb, I find that this can actually apply to any band, regardless of format.........

• Members

I started considering country after I went to Alaska last November.
I was in Ketchikan, and I went to the music shop there to shoot the breeze. I mentioned that I play bass, and the owner of the shop goes "DID YOU JUST MOVE HERE?!?!"
Apparently there's not a single bass player over the age of 20 on the whole island, and his band is playing with a high school kid on bass.
He was telling me that there's a bassist that lives in Sitka, that makes his entire living playing bass in a dozen or so country bands up and down the Inland Passage. He'll fly to Anchorage, play 2 shows, bus it to Soldotna, play a show, then Kenai, then hop on the ferry and play acoustic gigs to the passengers on his way to Juneau, where he plays 2 shows, then to Sitka, then to Ketchikan, where he'll play shows for the cruise ship folks during the day, and to the natives at night. And so on.
Apparently he makes really good cash doing it. If I ever moved up there, I'd totally be a country bassist.
C7

Archived