Paging "Hasbeen" (or Andy) to the Brushed Aluminum & Blue LED Phone

Oldtimer

• Members

On the GBE 750, I can't get the O/L Led to light or flicker at all on the FET channel, no matter how high the gain is set. The tube channel does flicker slightly. I am using Fender Jazz or P Basses and I know they don't have high output pickups. With that in mind, Where's a good setting for the Channel gain? Is it possible the FET channels light is not working?

BTW, I've only had about an hour on this amp so far. It's my first non-Walter Woods amp in the last 25 Years. Very nice! Gets any tone Walter gets and the the tube channel is nice for a little grit.

• Members

Congrats Oldtimer!

What bass are you playing, does it have active or passive pickups? Does the tube channel O/L LED flash with the gain at the 12:00-2:00 position? Is the preamp switch in the passive or active position?

It's always possible the LED is bad or the LED connector is not fully seated. Let me know what you find with the info above.

• Members

Congrats Oldtimer!

What bass are you playing, does it have active or passive pickups? Does the tube channel O/L LED flash with the gain at the 12:00-2:00 position? Is the preamp switch in the passive or active position?

It's always possible the LED is bad or the LED connector is not fully seated. Let me know what you find with the info above.

Andy, It's a 62 Jazz, passive. Yes, the tube channel is flashing in that 12-2 area. I was able to get the FET O/L to flash with a hard thumb slap. I think everything is fine!

How important is the proper setting for the gain control? If it's too high, does it introduce more noise in the form of hiss? Speaking of the FET channel.

BTW, this is one of the Cosmetic, B-Stock blems. The only thing I can find is a Scratched, slightly bent lower right rack ear. Sounds great!

• Members

That sounds about right for your bass, the FET channel has less gain then the tube channel because we wanted to be sure you could overdrive the tube channel even with a passive low output pickup.

Scratches and slightly bent rack ear will certainly make it a "B stock" blem product. How would you feel if you bought that as an unblemished new unit?

Carry on!

• Members

Congrats man, I'm positive you will like the amp. I absolutely love mine. It took some getting used to because there is a lot of versatility, something I'm not used to playing the GK 800RB for most of my life:D, but once I found whats what I can't tell you how nice it is. Then again I don't need to because you already know, or will know. Good job picking it up!

Dan

• Members

" How would you feel if you bought that as an unblemished new unit?"

Most likely, poorer! Cosmetic issues don't bother me. It's likely suffered the most damage it will ever see. After it's in my posession, it typically gets taken care of well. I believe I got a great deal on a well designed and engineered product.

• Members

" How would you feel if you bought that as an unblemished new unit?"

Most likely, poorer! Cosmetic issues don't bother me. It's likely suffered the most damage it will ever see. After it's in my posession, it typically gets taken care of well. I believe I got a great deal on a well designed and engineered product.

What I ment was if you paid for a new, unblemished unit, how would you feel to get one with cosmetic damage? That's why for some folks, blems can be a great way to get a deal like you did.

• Members

What I ment was if you paid for a new, unblemished unit, how would you feel to get one with cosmetic damage? That's why for some folks, blems can be a great way to get a deal like you did.

Yup..mine had two scratches; one on the footswitch and one on the amp. I'll take a second anytime!

Dan

• Members

congrats on your GBE1200 and thanks for your business.

May I respectfully suggest something?

As you are getting used to the tonal options on the amp, I highly suggest two things:

* Don't blend both channels at first. Derive tones you like from both channels separately.

* Don't use the signal shaping circuit either until you have tones you like from the channel eq's.

After that, you can start blending channels and/or adding signal shaping for special applications.

Here is how many phone calls and PM's go that I get: "hey, I'm having problems....it sounds like my cabinet is going to explode and my clip light always comes on. Plus, I can't hear myself on stage".

My reply: "by any chance are all the blue lights on?"

Answer: "why, yes, yes they are".

• Members

congrats on your GBE1200 and thanks for your business.

May I respectfully suggest something?

As you are getting used to the tonal options on the amp, I highly suggest two things:

* Don't blend both channels at first. Derive tones you like from both channels separately.

* Don't use the signal shaping circuit either until you have tones you like from the channel eq's.

After that, you can start blending channels and/or adding signal shaping for special applications.

Here is how many phone calls and PM's go that I get: "hey, I'm having problems....it sounds like my cabinet is going to explode and my clip light always comes on. Plus, I can't hear myself on stage".

My reply: "by any chance are all the blue lights on?"

Answer: "why, yes, yes they are".

Roger, Thanks for the advice. IMO, what sounds good by itself typically doesn't sit well in a band mix and sounds like "ASS" if you can hear it at all. The way the 750 is set in that picture is very "mid-scooped" and would lend itself to exactly the complaint you speak of.

Andy, yes it's lens distortion, or the fact I had to resize the picture 4 times to get it to upload. I don't plan on dropping it:eek: but, do you have any idea where I can get a 1/2 rack piece for the other end of the wireless?

I'm probably going to give the Genz its own rack case from Mark (Audiopile) Soon.

• Members

Sennheiser should still stock the missing rack ear. IIRC, there's some plastic extrusion that can break on some of those wireless units and that eliminates any future rack mounting as it breaks the case too. I don't remember the exact models involved though but I just worked on one a couple of months ago.

• Members

Sennheiser should still stock the missing rack ear. IIRC, there's some plastic extrusion that can break on some of those wireless units and that eliminates any future rack mounting as it breaks the case too. I don't remember the exact models involved though but I just worked on one a couple of months ago.

That sounds like what I've got! I e-mailed Sennheiser per your suggestion. The accessory is a blank plastic box that slides together with the receiver to make a full rack space. We'll see if they still have any or even get back to me. I havn't had great luck with Sennheiser e-mail support in the past. Phone calls tend to work though!

• Members

Sorta on topic.

What is the warranty for the "B-stock" items.

I just got my B-stock GBE1200 in, and other than some scratches on the top, it is perfect.

It was quoted in the auction as having no warranty. Not a big deal for me, I don't plan on it breaking and if it does it will still be cheaper to fix than getting a new one so I'm all set:thu:

Thanks to both the GB guys for showing up in the thread. I find that the only thing I have to do with the amp to make it pleasing to my ears is click on the LF boost. With one 12" cab there just isn't a whole lot of booty. Other than that I boost the mids a bit on both channels and viola, there's the sound I was looking for. I keep the gain on the tube channel much higher than with the fet channel and I think it sounds fantastic.

BTW does GB still sell the EZ sleeve? Someone suggested it to me because I'm not gigging but it could still protect it a bit.

Dan

Archived