The TBroom Mega Computer Thread

Thunderbroom

• Members

Oh, oops. Yeah, you could get a PCI type, and stick it in your computer. But, I don't really see any advantage of that over getting a USB one.

I have the Netgear I posted, and it's been working for over a year so far. It has decent range, and comes with an USB extension cord if you're farther from the router.

Thanks!

Since my wireless router says it goes up to 108Mbps, should I look at this one instead?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6960265&st=netgear+wireless+usb&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1099384455623

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1. Your router doesn't care which OS you use, so it'll work fine with Vista.

2. I googled your router and it supports 108 Mbps mode, so you should make sure that whatever wireless adapter you buy also supports 108 Mbps.

USB

PC Card

The USB link is only 54 Mbps and the second one is a PC-card for a laptop.

I prefer PCI for network adapters, but that's personal preference, USB will work fine.
Also, my experiences with Netgear are not so great, they tend to have some quality control issues.
You're better off with Linksys IMHO

• Members

I have always had trouble with the PCi cards cause they are on the floor behind the PC and wedged up against a wall. I like to use the USB ones that I can run up the wall on a USB cable and get a better signal.

Too bad Lava doesn't make USB cables or you could get really fast signals... :lol:

• Members
1. Your router doesn't care which OS you use, so it'll work fine with Vista.

2. I googled your router and it supports 108 Mbps mode, so you should make sure that whatever wireless adapter you buy also supports 108 Mbps.

The USB link is only 54 Mbps and the second one is a PC-card for a laptop.

I prefer PCI for network adapters, but that's personal preference, USB will work fine.

Also, my experiences with Netgear are not so great, they tend to have some quality control issues.

You're better off with Linksys IMHO

Right, right. 'cause he's really using 108 mega bits per second data trasnfer...

• Members

I've been running a wireless network in my home for years with three laptops and two desktops (with the latter being hardwired).

As far as your two points:

1. Sounds like you're a hater. I'm looking for fact, not opinion.

2. See #1.

Ok. I've never had a Vista computer. Everybody I know that has run Vista has had problems with it losing the router when wireless, for random periods of time. Some routers supposedly work better with Vista than others, so if Microsoft says it works, then you will hopefully be fine. But if it's not listed as a supported router by MS, don't get your hopes up.

And I should have clarified, when I talk about wireless cards for PC, I'm talking specifically about desktops, not PC cards or built in wireless adapters for laptops.

And I did say that it's in my experience that wireless networks suck. That's not being a hater. My home network is always unstable, and the networks at the University and IT school here are both iffy as well.

• Members

Thanks!

Since my wireless router says it goes up to 108Mbps, should I look at this one instead?

It would matchup better sure, and it looks like prices have dropped, but... Keep in mind, unless you're doing LAN transfers, you won't see a speed difference. Even a B is overkill for internet.

On the flip side of that though, the newer it is, the better the range it has (usually). If it's the next room over you can save yourself $20 and get a regular one.... /shrug

• Members
I have always had trouble with the PCi cards cause they are on the floor behind the PC and wedged up against a wall. I like to use the USB ones that I can run up the wall on a USB cable and get a better signal.

Too bad Lava doesn't make USB cables or you could get really fast signals...
:lol:

The PCI card I have has one of the antennae on a 6 foot cable that you can put somewhere else. Mine is on my desk pointing at my router. Even with just the stubby ones though, I haven't really had too much of an issue... It really depends on the setup. Whoever's setting up the computer would know if there's barriers in the way and can choose the best solution themselves.

• Members

The internal network adapter that's in my daughter's laptop works just fine in her bedroom so I can't imagine the new adapter will have problems.

FWIW (in case anyone is wondering), I'm going to purchase my daughter's laptop from her and my son is going to get it for Xmas most likely.

• Members

Add-on sound cards have a lot over integrated sound, if it's a decent card. Though yes, integrated sound has gotten way better in recent years. How much more is that Audigy going to set you back? That's an awfully high end card, it might be cheaper for you to add one in yourself.

If it's cheap though, hey, go for it I guess. :)

• Members
Add-on sound cards have a lot over integrated sound, if it's a decent card. Though yes, integrated sound has gotten way better in recent years. How much more is that Audigy going to set you back? That's an awfully high end card, it might be cheaper for you to add one in yourself.

If it's cheap though, hey, go for it I guess.
:)

I haven't checked the prices on the Audigy yet. It's not offered by Gateway, so I'd have to add it in later. I'm just thinking that instead of getting one of the Creative cards they do offer (X-Fi ExtremeGamer & X-Fi ExtremeAudio), I'd rather just get the Audigy when I'm ready. What I like about the Audigy is that the recording I did with it back when I had one sounded decent and the breakout box was really cool.

• Members
I haven't checked the prices on the Audigy yet. It's not offered by Gateway, so I'd have to add it in later. I'm just thinking that instead of getting one of the Creative cards they do offer (X-Fi ExtremeGamer & X-Fi ExtremeAudio), I'd rather just get the Audigy when I'm ready. What I like about the Audigy is that the recording I did with it back when I had one sounded decent and the breakout box was really cool.

Yeah they're nice for sure, though they've had a lot of driver troubles with their externals in the past. The audigy is a really nice card, but the only thing that sets it apart is the 192kHz sampling rate. If you don't need it, it'll be an unused $300 card. Like I said before, I have an X-Fi and love it. It has front bezel expansion, so you wouldn't have to worry about plugging into the back of the rig, just like the Audigy. This is going from an M-Audio card as well, which was awesome as hell. The only reason I got rid of it was because they haven't updated their drivers in 3 years. Literally. Sorry, no thanks, eat me M-Audio.

I digress. It's your moneys, regardless of which you pick it's gonna be a nice computer :wave:

• Members
Yeah they're nice for sure, though they've had a lot of driver troubles with their externals in the past. The audigy is a really nice card, but the only thing that sets it apart is the 192kHz sampling rate. If you don't need it, it'll be an unused $300 card. Like I said before, I have an X-Fi and love it. It has front bezel expansion, so you wouldn't have to worry about plugging into the back of the rig, just like the Audigy. This is going from an M-Audio card as well, which was awesome as hell. The only reason I got rid of it was because they haven't updated their drivers in 3 years. Literally. Sorry, no thanks, eat me M-Audio.

I digress. It's your moneys, regardless of which you pick it's gonna be a nice computer
:wave:

Contacted the seller about this one since it's listed at $149.

• Members

I don't see anything about that one coming with the box. I don't think it does, which explains the cheap price. Not that I'm saying don't go for it, because for that price it's slightly more than the x-fi's and a better card.

The boxes generally cost between $75-$150 depending what model, so...

• Members

I don't see anything about that one coming with the box. I don't think it does, which explains the cheap price. Not that I'm saying don't go for it, because for that price it's slightly more than the x-fi's and a better card.

The boxes generally cost between $75-$150 depending what model, so...

The "Pro" signifies that it comes with the box. I'm checking with the seller to verify that it does indeed come with the box or if it's a typo in their auction.

• Members
If they are installed programs it's impossible or rather very risky for the stability of your system. I wouldn't recommend it, it's a very safe way to {censored} up your registry.

If they are standalone apps you just have to move the directory from the old place to the new one.

There is a way to do this but it's not for the fainthearted :D

You can move the application's location and then use a registry search and replace utility to change pointers to the application - as a matter of fact I have a slick little utility to do it that fits on a floppy disk.

Easy as pie - you just tell it to change all instances of the application's old location to its new location. There are a few shareware and freeware applications that'll do this and I think they're worth their weight in gold if you really need them :)

• Members
Update:
I chatted with a rep from Gateway and found a couple of interesting things:
    All major companies (Dell, HP, Gateway etc) leave their phone salesmen a lot of room to negotiate.
    Check if they have different pricing for businesses, I know at least Dell sells their consumer systems for business prices, it can save you up to 15%.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived