Attention: YOUTUBE THREADS - Read This....

mactac

• Members

yes, I thought that about the pickups as well, but they don't really *look* wrong (tho I know sometimes looking right doesn't really cut it). I'd really like to throw some passive electronics in there & see what the bass itself actually sounds like. I might also go back to where I bought it & see if they have another one there so I can compare.

It's sort of a shame that moderately expensive bass like this sounds so bad. You know, it could also be my expectations, I don't know

mactac - your initial post in this thread is formulaic spam. I immediately looked for a post history and found nothing. I called it as I saw it. I have gone through your posts at TB and recognize that you undoubtedly posted this thread without intending it to be spam. Jazz Ad's confirmation of my initial impression leaves me wondering what I don't know, but stick around and be a contributing member. You'll find this to be one of the friendliest and most helpful forums around. However when someone comes on and is full of bull{censored} they will hear about it quickly. See, e.g., the above referenced Lava cable reference or 90% of wades keys's posts.

Fair enough, I understand this. and perhaps I would have even said the exact same things in your shoes as well...i don't know. I was excited about what I had done & wanted to tell everyone & thought it might be a good first post. I understand 100% how it looks in retrospect.

on to other things ... !

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is the way I see it:

You chose to post something that might have been construed to be spam. The difference for me, is that you stuck around. You didn't post and run like spammers do. So in my eyes, you didn't spam. Welcome aboard..sorry your Fender sucks..mine rules! I hope you can work it out. IF you can't make it sound good with your rig, there is something seriously wrong. And for the money Fender charges for their custom shop..you should be blow away when you play it.

Dan

• Members

Thought so. Is it a specific model or did you have them whip up something different for you? I'll bet the preamp has trim pots on the circuit board which control your mid frequencis etc.....

it's aspecific model (custom classic, i think) and it came with active electronics stock. it actually has a mids knob right on it, but all it does is add/cut mids (surprise surprise) and doesn't really change the "character" of the sound, which I find to be lacking in character.... I actually naturally assumed it was the crappy stock strings after I bought it and bought a new set of DR's, but they didn't really help...

• Members

it's active...

Kinda coming in a bit late here so I'll do the obligatory: "Get out of here you spamming troll! :mad:".

:wave:

Ok, now that that's out of my system, my first thought was pickup height as Juggs suggested. Have you tried lowering the pups at all?

And btw, welcome aboard!

• Members

it's aspecific model (custom classic, i think) and it came with active electronics stock. it actually has a mids knob right on it, but all it does is add/cut mids (surprise surprise) and doesn't really change the "character" of the sound, which I find to be lacking in character.... I actually naturally assumed it was the crappy stock strings after I bought it and bought a new set of DR's, but they didn't really help...

I know this is a long shot, but is it a lefty fretless in gold?:confused:

• Members

Check inside. I think there is a 25K trim pot on that preamp as well which controls what frequency your mid knob boosts or cuts.

If it's turned up it will only affect your high mids, I recommend boosting low mids on a Jazz. You may need to adjust it.

• Members

Check inside. I think there is a 25K trim pot on that preamp as well which controls what
frequency
your mid knob boosts or cuts.

If it's turned up it will only affect your high mids, I recommend boosting low mids on a Jazz. You may need to adjust it.

I just checked in the control cavity, and don't see one... this is the one with 18v (2 batteries) if that makes any difference... you'd think it should sound ok flat tho, no? ie forgetting that it even has a mid control

on the idea with the pickup heights - it was always my understanding that lowering them would make them sounds *more* indistinct, is that wrong?

they do actually seem quite high because my action is fairly low...

• Moderators

Juggy should be right about the preamp unless yours is funny. A different setting might do the trick, but I'm guessing even the flat tone is too muddy for you and EQ might not be much help. I personally prefer a passive jazz to get the sound you are describing. I have not found Fender's active circuits to be pleasing.

If you send me your email address I will send you some info that might help solve the problem.

• Members

on the idea with the pickup heights - it was always my understanding that lowering them would make them sounds *more* indistinct, is that wrong?

Raising them makes them more boomy and less defined, lowering them puts out more definition and less bass. There's kind of a sweet spot that can be tough to find but, when you do, it's oh so nice.

• Members

Juggy should be right about the preamp unless yours is funny. A different setting might do the trick, but I'm guessing even the flat tone is too muddy for you and EQ might not be much help. I personally prefer a passive jazz to get the sound you are describing. I have not found Fender's active circuits to be pleasing.

If you send me your email address I will send you some info that might help solve the problem.

PM'd

thanks!

• Members

Raising them makes them more boomy and less defined, lowering them puts out more definition and less bass. There's kind of a sweet spot that can be tough to find but, when you do, it's oh so nice.

ok, i'll try that out for sure then... it's definitely boomy, esp with any sort of bass boost at all...

although I always thought the output was quite low, even compared to my passive basses... I fired lowering the pickups would make that even worse... but I guess that's what the gain control on my amp is for .. I just didn't think the output should be so low:)

• Members

I just checked in the control cavity, and don't see one... this is the one with 18v (2 batteries) if that makes any difference... you'd think it should sound ok flat tho, no? ie forgetting that it even has a mid control

You sure? It just looks like a little circle with a slot for a small screwdriver.............probably white.

If you look at this item # 12 is the PCB and it specifically states there is a control pot on there:

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0195860_62A/SD0195860_62APg3.pdf

Here's where part# 12 is:

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0195860_62A/SD0195860_62APg2.pdf

• Moderators

ok, i'll try that out for sure then... it's definitely boomy, esp with any sort of bass boost at all...

although I always thought the output was quite low, even compared to my passive basses... I fired lowering the pickups would make that even worse... but I guess that's what the gain control on my amp is for .. I just didn't think the output should be so low:)

Fret the E string at the last fret. Measure the distance between the bottom of the E string and the top of the pole pieces under the E string. It should be around 5/64ths - 3/32nds of an inch. Now do the same for the G string. The G string will likely hit its sweet spot just a touch closer to the strings. Set both pickup heights this way and see if you get better results.

• Members

How does this fix the issue you raised regarding dead YouTube links ?

not directly, but the idea is to keep them updated. i put in a link to report dead links, and I have a script that goes through & checks them all once a day (tho that isn't running yet)... hopefully it'll keep them all up to date, or that's the plan anyways.

• Members
HEY ! WAIT A MINUTE, this is BULL.

Now that you received proper explanations through PMs, are you going to tell your fellow members that I was indeed saying the truth,or do I need to copy and paste your posts as a proof of my once threatened credibility?

• Members

Now that you received proper explanations through PMs, are you going to tell your fellow members that I was indeed saying the truth,or do I need to copy and paste your posts as a proof of my once threatened credibility?

:snax:

• Members

Yep, here's the story:

IQuite some time ago, I posted a gear for sale ad, without reviewing the rules. I made the (incorrect) assumption that it worked like most other forums (that allow posting of FS posts).

It was stupid of me to not read the rules first... something that really should be done because all forums are different, especially HC because it has AN ENTIRE SECTION for classified ads.

You are correct, I did have some posts deleted... Although I do feel that it was a direct violation of the rules, I wouldn't characterize it as "spam" per se, especially considering the debate we were having here, as it really did add some fuel to the fire here. People judged my post based on your "spam" post, which in some respects might have been a at least a tiny bit misleading... as I am not a spammer, merely a lazy rules reader :)

All the semantics aside, thanks for responding to me & explaining it all, I really appreciate it.

• Members

Fret the E string at the last fret. Measure the distance between the bottom of the E string and the top of the pole pieces under the E string. It should be around 5/64ths - 3/32nds of an inch. Now do the same for the G string. The G string will likely hit its sweet spot just a touch closer to the strings. Set both pickup heights this way and see if you get better results.

I checked & the pickups are much lower than this... maybe a quarter inch of space or so..

• Members

You sure? It just looks like a little circle with a slot for a small screwdriver.............probably white.

If you look at this item # 12 is the PCB and it specifically states there is a control pot on there:

Here's where part# 12 is:

hmm, ya I see that... I just can't find it on the board anywhere... arrgh. gotta go look again now...

Could it be that this diagram is for a different bass (Ie american standard)...?

Archived