El Rayo Guitarworks. Hmm...

Zebra

• Members

http://www.elrayoguitarworks.com/documents/services.htm

Any SD area forumites know much about this place? Beware quasi-rant about a friend.

My friend took his guitar here to get some work done. One like these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-ACSSA-Nylon-String-Slim-Neck-AcousticElectric-Guitar-with-Synth-Access?sku=511884

He needed the intonation to be fixed, which is a significant deal with these things. Using the factory-suggested strings, the tech said that there wasn't enough room to get one of the strings intonated properly, and that he would have to move the bridge to make it happen (lots of $$$.) His suggestions were to either live with it as-is, or sell it and invest into another instrument.

Now, I don't know, but is this a little odd? I would think that an instrument that price should have a bridge that can at least possibly be intonated properly, although I've always felt that Godins were cheaply made.

Even if it can't be fixed, and that's entirely possible, why didn't he suggest a different gauge/brand of strings if those ones wouldn't work? Am I off or wouldn't that be a plausible fix?

So basically, do you think this puts the tech's competence into question? I wonder because I might take my bass to get some work done there in the future.

• Members

Unfortunately, bridges like that don't have much in the line of intonation adjustment, and it's difficult at best. I would think that string choices would influence it, though, and maybe this way he can get a setup that's at least livable.

I figure so too, but he's probably just going to get a tele instead, which is probably a good thing. I don't know if this event should alter my opinion of El Rayo and/or Godin, though.

Archived