Gospel Music

ModmanQ6

• Members

Ok, so the wife and kid run into the grocery store last night and leave me in the car parked out front. I run through all the radio presets and find nothing, so I hit scan on the tuner. I hear this funky bass line and grooving sound that just grabs me, so I keep it on that station. The song ends and the radio identification comes on...104.7 Praise and goes straight into another tune... I sat for about 20 minutes until the family came back in listening to this and I gotta tell you, the players and writers of that music could really groove! I'm not a churchgoer and this won't convert me, but man it is really great music! The basslines really drive it too - funky and melodic. I had heard some "praise" music that my old guitarist played for me as well as some at a few local churches which did absolutely nothing for me except make me want to run away and scream, but this was like Jake and Ellwood going into Rev Brown's church if you know what I mean...

That is all.... :thu:

• Members

Gospel rules. You always have an enthusiastic crowd that will treat you well. It's fun. People know the words and sing along. If I found the right church in my area that needed a bassist, I would hop all over it.

Yeah, a gig like that might even get me back into a church...to spread joy through the music...

• Members

Yeah, you'd be surprised at the level of musicianship at those types of churches these days. And many of these cats will absolutely NOT play secular music!

Ya'll wanna know what happened to Funk? Go to church!!

That's right. Layin' it Down for the Lord. Big Fun. We're learning more southern gospel all the time. Even my white suburban congregation likes it a lot. If you're into audience participation with the congregation clapping and singing all the words along with you, then get thee to church and play and sing.

Archived