So....Black Friday....what'dja get?

flatcat

• Members

Most of the time I can get better than 20% off at Guitar Center anyway, so I figured why make the special trip. Slept in and enjoyed the hell out of it since we had a gig Thanksgiving night 'till 2:00 AM.

Best Buy here had a line at 8:00 AM on Thanksgiving day. They handed out tickets at 3:00 AM so I figured there was no point. If I stood a chance I'd have given everyone I know fifty bucks to buy those $199 eMachines with LCDs because I could resell them for an easy $100+ profit here at work and people would eat them up.

Only thing I really wanted was a 2 gig SD card and there's no way I was waiting in line to save five bucks over our cost. Was planning on replacing my dual 19" LCDs with 22" widescreens ($149 at Best Buy, not a doorbuster), but they're analog-only and I have a dual DVI video card. For $199 I could get the digital Samsungs but... eh, that's four hundred bucks.

I did the same thing... I went in, looked around, and realized even with 20% there really weren't any good deals. I saw two used epiphani and bag end cabinets, and sat there looking like an idiot for 30 minutes trying to grab a sales associate to find out the price (neither had tags)... So when the 3rd person came up to me asking if I worked there, I decided I'd had enough and left. Their loss.

I made the mistake of going to Guitar Center on a big sale day and wearing a black dress shirt with khakis... exactly what every employee in there was wearing. Don't do that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did any of you wait in line before your store of choice opened? Looks like some of you got some smokin' deals (dig the TV Jugghaid - how much?), but how were the crowds?

snip....

The darndest thing is, if you want one of the "door buster" deals around here, you have to camp out 'cause they only have like six per store or whatnot. I ain't doin' that.

Yesterday, went to the store and got the usual groceries for the forthcoming week, got drunk, practiced with the band and watched a local Alice Cooper cover band which was pretty damned good, in that order.

J, you know it's the damnedest thing, but our drummer was telling us yesterday how Thur. night they camped out at a local Best Buy. He went there to get a few things, a camcorder and a Vaio Laptop. I guess they were there 1:30 a.m. Fri morning and there was already a line behind the building while people had literally camped out, gear and all. This in 29 degree weather and snow.

He told us that they didn't think they'd have the chance to grab what they wanted because apparently, there were limited numbers as to what you could purchase for the sale price and once that quantity was gone, it was over. I guess some lucrative democratic capitalists were making a quick buck by selling these coupons they had collected though, that gave you the option to get an item reserved for that sale price. It was hilarious from what I gather, but strange to hear of nonetheless.

• Members

Hey Guitargod, thanks for that. I have to tell you, I was really impressed with that little GC. I mean, I walked into the acoustic room and the kid that worked there was in there CHANGING THE STRINGS on all the instruments. I've been in three other greater Boston area GCs where it was impossible to tell what a guitar sounded like because the condition of the strings was so bad.

It was plugged into a Markbass head. It sounded yummy.
:)

Anyhow - I'll drive down there if I have to, I can't stand the GC in Natick; the GC in Millbury is...meh.

Yeah...it's the best one around. I know the bass you're talking about...I played it! It was pretty sweet. I'd like o get an upright one of these days...but not now.

• Members

At the local GC, one of the Acoustic B20 20 watt 12" practice amps. It is specifically what I went for... I had tried them earlier and was impressed with the amount of sound and quality of the tone from this little unit. At $150, it seemed a great deal. They had it marked to $119, so 20% off would put it at $95... I grabbed it up, and when the guy rang it up, he mentioned something about an additional 'preferred customer discount"... Walked out with it for $75!

-robert

• Members

Want pics? I took about 700 of them in total this week. I'll post a thread with them if there's any interest, but I have to do some processing as they're all camera raws.

You MUST have at least 2 or 3 that are amusing, compromising, embarrasing, right?

Those would suffice.

;)

I have to see those guys live the next time they are up here.

• Members

B/O'd a Planet Waves strap and a couple of method books to go with the Squier Standard P-Bass Special Edition (Black Mirror, Rosewood Fretboard) and accessories that are on the way from a popular online music outlet. Maybe there's a bassist inside this percussionist!

Archived