First Bass and amp suggestions.

TheKinks

• Members

Hey all I play electric guitar and am thinking about picking up a decent bass and amp to play around with. I would most likely be playing Les Claypool(Primus/Oysterhead) type stuff. I have about an $700-800 limit. Anyone have any suggestions? :wave:

• Members

Depending on how big your hands are, you may want to consider a short neck bass. You can get a hamer slammer for under $200 and spend the rest on a decent amp. If you're not playing out, consider a direct in box, pod or sans amp for sound modulation.

I took up bass after years on guitar and I use a hamer slammer into a j station or a submarine pedal into a peavey keyboard amp and have a great time. The smaller neck is very similar to my guitar necks.

Good luck.

• Members

Here is my suggestion

Rogue LX 400 Pro

Ashdown Mag 300 Bass Head

and a Mag 410 Cab which will run you about $829.00 if you bought from MF or another online merchantbut that would be an excellent rig:thu:

my second choice on an amp and cab to stay within a budget would br GK Brat Pack half stack.

on second thought I would just say {censored} it and spend the extra bucks to get the Ashdown rig

• Members

Here is my suggestion

Rogue LX 400 Pro

Ashdown Mag 300 Bass Head

and a Mag 410 Cab which will run you about $829.00 if you bought from MF or another online merchantbut that would be an excellent rig:thu:

my second choice on an amp and cab to stay within a budget would br GK Brat Pack half stack.

on second thought I would just say {censored} it and spend the extra bucks to get the Ashdown rig

I'd stay very far away from Rogue.

Yo.

• Members

I'm not a primus fan but i'm guessing probably SS maybe something like a masa or ampeg but there are others here that can probably tell you what kind of strings he uses. I'm sure someone will show up and help you out more than I can. theres a lot of primus fans here.

• Members

well he plays a carl thompson 4 string and 6 string fretless, and they are about 3000-6000 dollars each. put if you want a primus sound you should get something with humbuckers. i think youd like a schecter, ive played stilettos (wait, do they have JB-pickups?) several times, and the sound is incredibly satisfying. and they are rather cheap aswell. but dont choose the bass over how it looks, play a few then choose something built as the one you liked the most. i played a p-bass until i started slapping, and i hated the slap sound you got from the p-bass pickups. but remember, "a poor craftsman blames his tools"

• Members

I'd recommend a solid quality starter bass and an amp big enough to jam with others, yet small enough to haul around and play for practicing alone. I'm a huge fan of the entry level Yamaha basses -- good quality at an excellent price. Amps are a bit more difficult, but I'd recommend a combo amp with more than 100 watts of power. Decent amps in your price range are listed below:

Bass: Yamaha RBX170 4 string for $180. Get a case or gig bag to protect it.

Amps: Choice of Ampeg BA115 HP for $550, Ashdown MAG C210-T for $550, Peavey TNT 115 for $560, or Yorkville YM 200TC for $519.

All in your budget, yet giving you USEABLE equipment that will have some resale value (or even keep as back-up or practice gear if you ever upgrade), and avoiding junk.

• Members

Well the sound im going for is
what Les Claypool plays in the band Primus

lol, then you will have lots of time over the next 5 or so years of perfecting your "slap style" bass playing to get whatever equipment you need.

i would suggest you go to a guitar store and play all most/all/alot of basses there until you find one that fits.

get an ashdown electric blue combo amp. lots of bang for the buck.

• Members

Between the crappy fretwork, weak construction, terrible tuners, horrible electronics and poor wood for the body and neck, Rogue is the worst bass I've ever played.

Yo.

:blah:

HA were you playing one of the 99 dollar models?:rolleyes:

because it is obvious you have never played one of the LX Pro models because their quality is right up there with the Peavey Millineum, IBanez SRX2 EX1 or a Schecter Stiletto and surpasses Dean and any Squier ever made.

the Rogue VB1 is also a very nice playing bass IMO sounds as good as a Hofner Icon.

• Members

:blah:

HA were you playing one of the 99 dollar models?
:rolleyes:

because it is obvious you have never played one of the LX Pro models because their quality is right up there with the Peavey Millineum, IBanez SRX2 EX1 or a Schecter Stiletto and surpasses Dean and any Squier ever made.

the Rogue VB1 is also a very nice playing bass IMO sounds as good as a Hofner Icon.

Sounds like you are pitting it up against tough competition. :idea:

Yo.

Archived