accoustic gigs

sm5719

• Members

what do you think is enough power to play accoustic gigs at a restraunt or bar and grill along side 2 guitars?

is 30w enough? 50w? 100w?

i'd like something as small and light as possible but also with quality sound, i was thinking of a roland cube (30 or 100) or possibly an eden/nemesis 120w 12" combo.

thoughts/suggestions?

• Members

fwiw, I think these small room/restaurant types of gigs require more presence than pure volume. What I mean is, if you will be providing "conversation background music" and not be the focus of everyones evening, I would bring 2 cabs and move air from seperate sides of the room. The physics of the low end and conversation noise being what it is allow for the treble instruments to carry better than bass levels can, and to compensate for that using one speaker tends to make you overpowering to the mix at the amp side of the room and dropped out on the other. Its not vital to do this of course if the situation doesn't allow it, but bass in acoustic situations is always a bit tricky. The dynamics of the instrument make it very easy to either be too little and unnoticed, or too much and overpower treble instruments.

Also, for power requirements, consider how the gig space compares to where you practice. If the room isn't much bigger and what you are using to practice still has room for more you should be good to go. Good luck at your show.

• Members

I use my BA115, but that is the smallest amp I have, and it is not turned up at all. Often, however, I plug directly into the p.a. system, where the two acoustic guitars are going, and don't bring an amp at all. (Peavey XR600 series with two EV 1x15's on poles. Plenty of volume without being loud.)

• Members

thanks for the input all..... i like the 2 cabs idea. probably can't do that right away, but would like to have that option.

so what's your favorite cabs? quite the range of combo's listed.

i'd rather get a real good 30-50w than a pretty decent 100w. somewhere in the $300-450 range.

music will be honky/bluesy/old rockish: hank sr, johnny rivers, johnny cash, old stones, beatles, etc....

• Members

I just ran a Acoustic/Electric bass into the PA.

this also might be a good option for me/us. would also give the 2 cab presence bten was suggesting. my buddy was planning on singing through is fender acoustasonic (sp?), but this might be a better way to go, especially for a bigger room.

plus we're in need of another set of stage monitors for our "rock" band, that i could buy instead of a bass combo (since we just changed drummers and he had 1 of the pairs we used)....... hm.

• Members

I use an Ampeg 228 for that kind of stuff:

PBC228.jpg

It's 200W, 2-8" speakers, weighs 30 pounds, and has a built-in DI if you want to run it through the P.A. I used mine last night at a jam with a guy who played an electric guitar through a Gibson GA-15, and a drummer with a full set. It worked well until the guitarist really cranked the Gibson, so I just turned up the channel in the P.A. that the bass was plugged into and it was cool.

• Members

what do you think is enough power to play accoustic gigs at a restraunt or bar and grill along side 2 guitars?

is 30w enough? 50w? 100w?

i'd like something as small and light as possible but also with quality sound, i was thinking of a roland cube (30 or 100) or possibly an eden/nemesis 120w 12" combo.

thoughts/suggestions?

1st choice is a Walter Woods into a 12 cab for small rooms. I like the upright into the Avalon U5, as well, I like the electric into the U5 gives a lot of useful tones.

For an all-in-one I use the Roland DB-500 for gigs and studio, very solid tone for a 12".

• Members

Why not just use your GK and 2X10 cab? That would make a mighty fine little rig.

well i was hoping to be able to walk in/out with rig in one hand, bass in the other. i also thought it would be better to push a 30 or 50w rather than babying 480w's or whatever that gk is.

that and i only have 1 amp right now, so i need another amp or combo so i can leave one at home and one at work for practice :thu:

Archived