I am Legend.

willsellout

• Members

if i saw the movie without reading the book i probably would have liked it. as everyone else already said i think the whole way they played out the dog relationship was very well done. the cartoonish "ghouls" and the complete ignorance to almost anything from the book however, ruined it for me. furthermore, wtf are they planning to do with the cure? "excuse me mr rabid flesh eating monster, do you mind holding still for afew minutes whilst i jab this here needle in you??".

• Members

saw it yesterday...thought it was just ok..better than that dreadful Death Sentence I saw last week

The dog was the best actor in the film imho. I didn't think Will Smith was near strong enough to carry off that much screen time without another person to play off...I wasn't angry I saw it and being tired on a Sunday, it was nice to watch something in English

• Members

More spoilers: The worst part for me was the part with his dog..that was sad.

Me too. I cried during that part. He looks back and his dog was barely standing, limping and whining. :cry: Then he has to carry her back to his house and put her to sleep. :cry: It was also painful to see him in his SUV looking over at the passenger seat, which was now empty. That part sucked the most.

...and to think if he wasn't such a retard he wouldn't have gotten caught up in his own trap... therefore never getting caught out at dusk... therefore not making his dog wait for him and eventually get attacked... he would've met those people by the dock too... figures they would show up the one day he wasn't there.

• Members

OOOhh........ A downer story.

I'm the kind of person who likes those. Is it truly that depressing?

Spoilerville:

I understand the dog, Sam, gets killed, and dies a miserable death on screen.

Crap, already discussed.

Oh well, I was excited about it from all the previews and trailers, until I read that it was the third remake of a movie from the book. First was Vincent Price in the "Last Man In The World", the second was the very good Charleton Heston in "The Omega Man" and then this one. I haven't seen it, will probably wait for video, and would hedge by saying your money is better spent by renting "the Omega Man."

• Members

Yeah, it sucks for any animal lover. You know it's just a movie and that the AHA made sure no animals were hurt during filming, but it's really heart-wrenching. Probably one of the most heartbreaking animal death scenes I've ever watched.

Part of me wonders whether he put the dog to sleep because she wasn't going to survive her injuries, or because she was going to turn into a zombie dog (which she started to do). One would've thought that he could've tried the experimental cure that worked on the rat in his lab. Then again, perhaps her injuries were too severe. Either way... :cry:

• Members

Do I even to give a spoiler warning at this point?

From the first time I saw the commercial I knew the dog would come to a bad end. You just have to expect it, in any genre the dog almost always ends up dead. Action/horror movies usually have the bad guy kill the dog to show how evil he is, more family oriented fare kill the dog to teach the young person the movie is about the harsh lessons of life and death. At least what happened here was a twist.

I missed the beginning of the movie, and snuck into a 2nd showing afterwards to catch up, so the second scene with Neville singing "Three Little Birds" to the dog was the first one I saw. Later, seeing the film from the start, the first, lighthearted scene was hard to watch. The quick bit of him looking at the vacant passenger's seat choked me up more than the actual final dog scene. Regardless of how good other elements of the film were, the relationship of Neville and his dog, and the bits after, were very well done, the most realistic I've seen from Hollywood.

Regarding the shot he gave the dog - at first I thought he was putting her down, but it seemed to have no effect, unless the virus transforms the recently deceased which there was no indication of otherwise. It seems more likely to me he did try his cure, but it did not work. It was only after this, at the very end of the film, that cure began to work on the captive - and only because he had placed her in an ice bath. It worked on the rat at room temp but not the human, so I suppose whatever factor made it work in the rat was not present in dog or human. Too complex, or too big, or whatever - it's movie science after all.

I've had "Three Little Birds" stuck in my head since seeing the movie 6 days ago, and I'd never heard it before. It was a catchy enough tune, and sounded good on the theatre's sound system, driving me to buy my very first Marley CD ever. This stuff is pretty good, for what it is, I'd never listened to it's like before.

Anyone seen this earlier version of the script by one of the 2 writers credited on the movie script? The movie could have benefitted from some of the elements, but overall I think it was weaker.

http://www.horrorlair.com/scripts/legend.txt

• Members

::SPOILERS::

Me too. I cried during that part. He looks back and his dog was barely standing, limping and whining.
:cry:
Then he has to carry her back to his house and put her to sleep.
:cry:
It was also painful to see him in his SUV looking over at the passenger seat, which was now empty. That part sucked the most.

...and to think if he wasn't such a retard he wouldn't have gotten caught up in his own trap... therefore never getting caught out at dusk... therefore not making his dog wait for him and eventually get attacked... he would've met those people by the dock too... figures they would show up the one day he wasn't there.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't his own trap. The "lead" darkseeker (or whatever) saw what Neville did to capture his lady friend, and copied it using "Frank" as bait in order to capture Neville. Thats just my take on it, how else would frank have moved and a snare randomly be right there unless...?

• Members

Saw it Monday. And I hate seeing movies with other people because I pick it apart and ruin it for them.

It's all his fault. If he didn't shoot the mannequin then he wouldn't have gotten caught in the trap and his dog wouldn't have gotten attacked by the zombies/vampires/infected. Then he freaks out because his dog dies and goes, high as {censored}, to kill some infected things. Then when the girl saves his ass, she doesn't pour bleach on the front steps, so they can find the house, how does he not think about that, he'd been doing it everyday for 3 years, it was the first thing I though of when he woke up. And how did the infected break through the door he triple locked instantly but take 5 minutes to break through plexi-glass?

Also, an Explorer is a stupid car to be driving around. He had the Mustang for speed while hunting, but for everything else he drove a stock Explorer. I was thinking maybe an armored truck. No one can break into one of those. It's not as fast but so much safer. Or a tank (not really).

Yeah, the dog thing sucked. But you knew it would happen. I love my dog, I know I will feel worse when he dies then when my grandma died. Sure that sounds wrong, but I've seen my dog everyday for the past 12 years. I remember the first night we got him and him being in the car everyday while my mom drove me to like 4 grade. But you have to realize it's a movie, nothing really happened to it. Stuff like that doesn't even phase me.

• Members

On the lame side:

1.How did the girl and the boy get on the island? They sealed off the island. All the bridges were blown up, presumably the tunnels too....

2. all the flesheating zombies looked the same.

3. He didnt have to kill himself

• Members

it was meh

could've been a lot better.

I know it needs to be there somewhat, but the completely obviousness of the expository dreams were like "okay, i'm going to sit back while you tell me this portion of the story that isn't really happening now."

blah.. the pacing of the story was obnoxious

Archived