I am Legend.

willsellout

• Members

I want to. Is it worth $7, or should I wait?

I don't it's hard to say. I found Will Smith's character to be a little weird but he does an excellent job playing the part; I was really impressed with his acting in this one. The monsters are completely unbelievable and just stupid. The whole story is a huge downer and there isn't much action. It's a frustrating movie for me. I just didn't like it..too much of a downer.

If it were me, it could definitely wait until DVD. It isn't one of those action flicks that you need to see in the theatre. People had mixed reviews on it though.

Dan

• Members

It was a cool book. Somehow, I doubt the Will Smith version will have the same bleak ending. Got to dumb it down and give it a Hollywood happy ending otherwise no one will watch :rolleyes:

Also, I'm assuming they moved away from the whole "killer vampires" angle since in the trailers Will Smith is walking around with an M4 carbine rather than garlic, holy water, and wooden stakes.

• Members

I saw it today. I thought it was cool. Very slow moving at parts, but it doesn't have to be all blazing action and killing to be good. I especially liked the part where he explained Bob Marley to the female survivor. :)

Not the best movie I've seen Will in, but better by far than Independence Day, which I thought sucked.

• Members

First off - POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!! -don't read further if you hate minor spoilers.

I saw it last night. It's alright - not great, but alright. Certainly won't make it on to any of my "best" lists but it was a reasonably fun couple of hours in a movie theatre.

To be honest, I was expecting worse. I'm a big fan of "the Omega Man". Not cause it's particulary good (in fact it's damn cheesy); it's just that it made a big impact on me when I was a young lad and I always have fond nostalgic memories. Charlton Heston is such a dink, as a person AND an actor (actually there is little difference between the two with him), and there is NO WAY that "foxy black chick" would had have anything to do with him. But I digress. I went to see this just cause of the whole remake thing and wasn't really thinking it would be all that great.

But it was better than I was anticipating - just a bit mind you, but still okay. The dog was cool, I loved the whacked out rats, and I thought Will Smith did a pretty good job of it - more complex and tweaked than I would have thought. The cinemaphotography was excellent - awesome post apocalyptic New York. The scene where he chased Sam into the dark building was pretty tense. The way the darkseekers (?) trapped him was pretty cool. On the downside the CGI bad guys were meh, the fact that he couldn't shoot a deer was stupid, the mandatory beefcake bits were tiresome. I can accept that the virus would have turned folks into cannibalistic "monsters", but the fact that they all had superhuman strength and could run up walls and {censored} was outrageously stupid. I definately could have done without the whole "accept God for redemption" bullsh*t (and if they had left it with Neville's initial response, it would have been much better). The ending was, of course, way too hollywood cutesy.

So, not a horrible movie, not a great one. If you are looking to just go out to see a flick and you've got a couple of hours and 7 or 8 bucks to burn, there are worse ways to do it.

But, for real cheese (in a good way) rent "Omega Man", and for real coolness rent "Last Man on Earth".

• Members

*** ANother Sopiler Alert/Comment****

I agree it's a downer movie too. And the biggest one is that Will Smith totally didn't have to die at the end. He could have waited by the fireplace/blastdoor then throw the grenade when the zombies crash through. What a stupid way to die for no good reason.

• Members

I agree it's a downer movie too. And the biggest one is that Will Smith totally didn't have to die at the end. He could have waited by the fireplace/blastdoor then throw the grenade when the zombies crash through. What a stupid way to die for no good reason.

More spoilers: The worst part for me was the part with his dog..that was sad.

Dan

• Members

More spoilers: The worst part for me was the part with his dog..that was sad.

That was actually one of the high points of the movie I thought. Of course you saw it coming and it was a bit too obvious, but it was actually really sad and affecting. Well done I thought.

In fact, some of the best little details in the film all centered around Neville & Sam's interaction - the little bit where Sam licks his tears while his wife/kid helicopter away, curling up together in the bathtub to sleep, etc.

• Members

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

At least he didn't do the full-on crucifixion thing a la Heston.

And the truth is it would have been a way better movie if it had been MORE of a downer. The whole "everything ends up nice and pretty and happy in a lovely little Vermont village" was utter crap.

• Members

Spoilers, like every other post... I didnt look at the thread until I'd seen the movie.

I liked it, though it was in large part "Omega Man" meets "28 Days Later." Anyone who has seen a movie ever in their life will know that a movie with a dog will be sad; anyone who's seen an action/horror movie with a dog knows the dog is only there to show how truly evil the bad guy is, and to make the audience sympathize with the dog's owner and hate the evildoer who does the dog in. I've only seen Will Smith in action and comedy movies, I was surprised here by his acting. He gives an excellent portrayal of a guy barely hanging on to the remains of his sanity (clearly he's lost some) in the grip of despair. He often seems just on the edge of breaking down completely, mentally and emotionally.

I liked that Sam (the dog) wasn't just the typical tag-along plot device, but a character, and the relationship was very well done. Besides being his dog, companion, friend, protector - she was his last link to his family, the world that had been destroyed, and his humanity.

I'd like to read the story, but will have to order it - both Barnes & Noble and Borders only carry the comic version, not Matheson's book.

• Members

SPOILERS BELOW...

just got back from seeing it. god was that depressing! i'm a big fan of the book, but seeing it really was a major downer. will smith (i thought) was tremendous in the role and emoted effectively.

that being said, the final toll is: man loses wife, daughter, then loses his mind along with society. finally has to kill his dog, then himself. it doesn't GET more depressing than that. :cry:

• Members

SPOILERS BELOW...

just got back from seeing it. god was that depressing! i'm a big fan of the book, but seeing it really was a major downer. will smith (i thought) was tremendous in the role and emoted effectively.

that being said, the final toll is: man loses wife, daughter, then loses his mind along with society. finally has to kill his dog, then himself. it doesn't GET more depressing than that.
:cry:

That's it: depressing. It was a depressing movie. Decent, but depressing...

• Members

I caught it last night online @ movie6.....

It was a Wil Smith flick and they are somewhat satisfying entertainment. The plot was played out and over done. the action was minimal (but pretty killer when it was there).

I would never pay to see it in the theater but will most likely rent it when it hits DVD to catch with the wife... but she heard about the dog, and doesn't want to see it.

Archived