5 string w/ MM + J pickup configuration

Bassjunkie99

• Members

I absolutely love the sound of the Lakland 55-02 bass with the humbucker / single coil combination. (The American made 55-92 is not in the budget). My only problem is that I've played a 4 string Fender Jazz Bass for the past ten years, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to make the jump from the narrow, rounded neck I'm accustomed to, to the wide, flat sawn neck of the Lakland basses. Anyone know of any other 5 strings (or 4's) out there that have the MM + J pickup configuration in conjunction with a faster, rounded Jazz Bass type neck -- I'm hoping to avoid crossing the $1,500 mark.

• Members

I absolutely love the sound of the Lakland 55-02 bass with the humbucker / single coil combination. (The American made 55-92 is not in the budget). My only problem is that I've played a 4 string Fender Jazz Bass for the past ten years, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to make the jump from the narrow, rounded neck I'm accustomed to, to the wide, flat sawn neck of the Lakland basses. Anyone know of any other 5 strings (or 4's) out there that have the MM + J pickup configuration in conjunction with a faster, rounded Jazz Bass type neck -- I'm hoping to avoid crossing the $1,500 mark.

i went from 4banger to a 5 string a few years ago, and I found that difference that I focused most on wasnt so much the shape of the neck, or even the string spacing, but getting accustomed to that 5th string, which after a couple weeks became second nature.... now I have trouble with a 4 string!

I think after a few days of playing on the 5er, you'll probably not mind the difference in neck shape so much... heck, you might even prefer it after a while. You'd be surprised as to how quickly you get used to something.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback everyone.....Now I just have to figure out where I can play one of these Carvins and possibly an Ibanez MM + J as well

If you get a chance to play the bass I posted, which is an MTD Kingston, do it. It really is an amazing bass for the back and has one of the best necks I ever played.

• Members

Archived