Yamaha BB415

ThudMaker

• Members

Anybody own one of these? What's the B like? It appears to have a unique bridge that increases tension on the B string.

Yamaha's are good bang for the buck, but I'm not familiar with that one.

Pics......or it doesn't exist!!!

• Moderators
wow... now that is a good idea... assuming it works with no side effects...

they should sell those bridges for any 5er.

not only can you add a small amound of mass to the bridge, but you can tighten up any floppy B's in the process....

Yep. That's why I'm kind of curious if it's true or not. I haven't been able to find one locally.

• Members

The bridge extension does not increase scale length or make the tension of the B string higher. It's there to make it easier to string a fat B string through there. Decreases the angle the string has to take.

B string on the new Yamaha BBs is good, not great.

The recent Yamahas BB are very nice. I have had the 4 string version (the BB414), and the 5 string with active preamp (the BB615). One of the great values in the bass world. For the price, I'm not sure you could do better.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Actually it is said in several places that the bridge extension on the bb415/bb615 is specifically to increase the scale to 35 on only that string to give better string tension. This does indeed seem to make the low bIt would be a great thing if the bridge weren't so flimsy. IMHO, the factory yamaha bridge on the BB series is less substantial than that of the Fender MIM models.

I actually have that very bb415 in the metallic orange. :thu: Pretty nice bass, especially for the money. However, I've found alot of people swap the bridge out for either a Hipshot A, Hipshot B bridge or a Badass V bridge. Mine has a Hipshot A-style on it and compared to the stock bridge it brings out much more harmonic content, much more snap and the stability is much better. I demo'd a stock bb415 before I bought this one and I knew that a bridge upgrade would be in order right off. If you should get a BB, that would be my primary recommendation for it right off the bat.

I know it's not something you asked about, but I will go ahead and say that the only problem I have with this bass is that the pickups are such a proprietary shape so they are not easily upgraded without routing being involved. That being said, it's got a pretty good vintage P sound from the middle pickup. The bridge pickup is surprisingly versatile. Both pickups are very sensitive to plucking/picking position. You can control your tone a great deal with this alone.

• Members

I initially had the idea that the stagger would make more space for setting the intonation.....gets really blue in the air when the saddle starts to bind up against the spring and you still don't have the octave correctly pitched. (but I have taken on board the other explanations too...particularly the thickness of the B);)

• Members

Sigh.

That bridge is solely to allow for correct intonation and break angle. Period. It will not "increase scale length". That would require fanning the frets to suit. Since this bass does not have fanned frets, there's your answer.

Archived