OT: Adjustable Dumbells?

guitargod0dmw

• Members

Does anybody have experience with adjustable dumbells? I'd like to get a set soon...

I've been looking at PowerBlocks, Ironmaster, and the Bowflex ones. I'm sure there are others out there too. Advantages/limitations of each?

So far I think I like the Powerblocks the best, but I'm not sure.

Info? :)

Right now I'm using a set of olympic bars with plate weights. It's hard to lift a bunch of weight with a giant plate of them! Plus they're a pain in the ass to change the weights...it just takes too long.

• Members

I used to have over 700lbs of steel weights, a 7' bar, a 6' for military press warm-ups, a curl bar, a tri-cepts bar, multiple dumbell sets, a gym quality pulldown machine, etc... I found that I was able to accomplish anything I needed dumbell-wise with one set of fixed dumbells, performing alternating major curls... I really didn't end up changing weights on dumbells very much at all, and settled on a set of 35lbers... I've trimmed my workout routine down to pushups, ab crunches, aletrnating major curls, 20 to 30 minute sessions on an elyptical machine, and regular time on a 90lb heavy bag - and it seems to be working for me... I don't have a ton of $$$ wrapped up into exercise equipment, nor am I taking up alot of space with it... The elyptical machine wasn't all that cheap, but I prefer them over other forms of cardio work...

YMMV, but that's how it ended up for me...

- georgestrings

• Members

I also don't use a heck of a lot of different weights, but I do change it up. I can't do everything with one set...they're either not heavy enough for a workout...or they're too heavy. It depends on what I'm working. I'd like to only have a few sets of hex bells, but the space they take up and the cost of them...I might as well just spend a little more and save the space with the adjustable ones.

• CMS Author

I also don't use a heck of a lot of different weights, but I do change it up. I can't do everything with one set...they're either not heavy enough for a workout...or they're too heavy. It depends on what I'm working. I'd like to only have a few sets of hex bells, but the space they take up and the cost of them...I might as well just spend a little more and save the space with the adjustable ones.

Hmmm, I don't know...hex on a rack are about the same size as the adjustables on their rack, and the cost difference I see is huge. The Bowflex set is like $450?????? Hell, I bought a new (floor model, perfect condition) Bowflex Extreme for $450.

• CMS Author

I mean having:

(2) 20 lb bells

(2) 30 lb

(2) 35 lb

(2) 40 lb

Vs...just having the (2) adjustables that will do everything those (8) bells will do and more.

Two? Are you using these as your primary resistance training, or to supplement a free-weight set? When you mentioned using plates in your OP I figured the latter.

• Members

Two? Are you using these as your primary resistance training, or to supplement a free-weight set? When you mentioned using plates in your OP I figured the latter.

Ok...I'm getting a little confused. Why would I need more than 2 of any of these? I only have two arms.

Right now, because of space reasons they would probably be my primaries. I've got a small bench so I can do a pretty decent workout with them. Everything else is taken care of by cardio type stuff and just general outdoor sports. I lead a fairly active lifestyle...

• CMS Author

Ok...I'm getting a little confused. Why would I need more than 2 of any of these? I only have two arms.

Right now, because of space reasons they would probably be my primaries. I've got a small bench so I can do a pretty decent workout with them. Everything else is taken care of by cardio type stuff and just general outdoor sports. I lead a fairly active lifestyle...

LOL....I love the interwebs. I was assuming you only needed *1* of each weight.

I'd store hex under the bench between workouts, if there's no room for a small triangle rack.

• Members

LOL....I love the interwebs. I was assuming you only needed *1* of each weight.

I'd store hex under the bench between workouts, if there's no room for a small triangle rack.

HA!

Storing them under the bench is an option as well. I just need to see what it's going to cost to buy the hex bells. If it's even remotely close, I'm sticking with the adjustable idea.

Having this lying around takes up a lot of space...

HexDumbbells.jpg

Vs. having these lying around...

Powerblocks.jpg

• Members

Power Blocks are very good. I had a set for like 3-4 years and no problems, very tidy. The Bowflex hand weights, tho I never owned them, I tried and found to be too cumbersome... FWIW

I use bands and Crossbow by Weider... its very good also.

Were you limited in any workouts with the powerblocks? Like a tricep extension for example?

They seem more cumbersome than the Bowflex ones...but better constructed. I guess there is always a trade off...

• CMS Author

HA!

Storing them under the bench is an option as well. I just need to see what it's going to cost to buy the hex bells. If it's even remotely close, I'm sticking with the adjustable idea.

Having this lying around takes up a lot of space...

HexDumbbells.jpg

Vs. having these lying around...

Powerblocks.jpg

Yup, I agree. But I don't think you need that many weights (as that hex display pic). Most places like Dick's Sports have hex weights available individually and priced by the lb. They often have them on sale for .50 per.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the adjustables per-se, just figuring out the options.

• Members

Yup, I agree. But I don't think you need that many weights (as that hex display pic). Most places like Dick's Sports have hex weights available individually and priced by the lb. They often have them on sale for .50 per.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the adjustables per-se, just figuring out the options.

Nope...I certainly don't need that many! Just a few...

• Members

Were you limited in any workouts with the powerblocks? Like a tricep extension for example?

They seem more cumbersome than the Bowflex ones...but better constructed. I guess there is always a trade off...

For me, the best tricep workout is a combination of dips 4-5 sets of whatever you can do (my personal best was 45... not no mo), close grip bench press 3-4 sets, pull downs with bands or a lat bar 3-4 sets (start 90 dgree at waist and pull down to 180)

Something else I like to do with bands is face away from the band tension as to pull the tension forward and rotate any shoulder movements for 5 minutes then punch as fast as I can with tension for 3 mins... cardio and a killer complete arm workout in 8 minutes...

• Members

We have a set of the Bowflex dumbells and I enjoy them daily. We tried a bunch of different adjustables and they all felt loose. The Bowflex ones felt the most solid. They are pretty large but they are nice and they operate very smooth. They are expensive as {censored} though...

Dan

• Members

For me, the best tricep workout is a combination of
dips
4-5 sets of whatever you can do (my personal best was 45... not no mo), close grip bench press 3-4 sets, pull downs with bands or a lat bar 3-4 sets (start 90 dgree at waist and pull down to 180)

Something else I like to do with bands is face away from the band tension as to pull the tension forward and rotate any shoulder movements for 5 minutes then punch as fast as I can with tension for 3 mins... cardio and a killer complete arm workout in 8 minutes...

Well that's all well and good, I always change up my workouts. I do lots of cardio as well. I ride/race bicycles whenever I can...but it's been almost 2 years since I last raced in a mountain bike series.

Do you have any input on the powerblocks though?

• Members

Well that's all well and good, I always change up my workouts. I do lots of cardio as well. I ride/race bicycles whenever I can...but it's been almost 2 years since I last raced in a mountain bike series.

Do you have any input on the powerblocks though?

Oh yeah... man... the PB's are very good. I used them 4-5 x a week for like 4 years. Never had any functionality probs, a functional use of space, and people would ask me... "hey, what are those?" ... they look kinda cool. FOr curls, bench, plyometric use and shoulder press I give A+ with gold star.

Archived