question for those not in a band/bands

Tlaloc

• Members

Does anyone else feel really down about music when they're not in a band? That's what usually happens to me when I'm not in a band or getting regular gigs. Playing bass seems to be like such a futile waste of effort, seeing how it's usually the backbone of a song, but a lot of times, it just doesn't have much substance on its own. I guess it's kind of like a "why bother playing if nobody is going to listen?"

Then again, why should any of that matter?

Luckily, I've got a band, so now I'm in a phase of being really obsessive about music and whatnot. Especially since my band right now consists of a singer, drummer, and me switching between bass, guitar, or keyboard/piano. It's quite a task!

• Members

Tlaloc,

Oh my god, have I been there, I'm there right now. I go through stages where I have to force myself to play. Its like, playing along with a cd, or mp3, its going to be the same every time, no tempo change, no improv, unless I improvise, then if its good theres no one to hear it, and transversely, if it sucks, theres no one to hear it. I often ask myself whats the point. I miss performing more than I can put into words

• Members

I'm in 2 bands at present, but I do get frustrated when either band has extended periods of downtime. In one of my bands the drummer is taking alot of time off lately which is frustrating everyone because we have had gigs lined up, but the drummer can't do it so we have had to cancel gigs and rehearsals as a result.

I'd hate to be completely bandless again though.

• Members

I've accepted that music for me is a hobby. I'll play in church occasionally, but for the most part I just enjoy the music I make. I haven't made any real progress as far as technical skill goes in several years, but I have fun making the noise that I make and the flow of creativity from improvisation.

It's kind of like my photography hobby. A very small number of people ever see my photos and 75 or so years from now, they'll all be in some box in someone's basement or in a landfill. For now, however, they provide a substance to life that I don't get elsewhere.

$.02

Dustin

• Members

sometimes when I have phases like that, I think that it would be funny to go into a major city and be one of those music bums at subway stations why just sit with an instrument and amplifier and just play random stuff.

I think I might try that one day. At least someone will be listening!

• Members

I've accepted that music for me is a hobby. I'll play in church occasionally, but for the most part I just enjoy the music I make. I haven't made any real progress as far as technical skill goes in several years, but I have fun making the noise that I make and the flow of creativity from improvisation.

It's kind of like my photography hobby. A very small number of people ever see my photos and 75 or so years from now, they'll all be in some box in someone's basement or in a landfill. For now, however, they provide a substance to life that I don't get elsewhere.

$.02

Dustin

That pretty much sums up my outlook. :thu:

I haven't really been in a band since I've started playing, but I jam with people that I've played with since I began who have similar goals to mine at least a few times a month.

• Members

playing music is more fun in a band

but i find listening to music is more fun when im not in a band

going to a show as a musician for me always ends up being about judging the players, looking for new tricks, checking out gear, and generally looking for ways to improve my own work. etc.

all that thinking gets in the way of dancing with pretty girls

• Members

I would say, before playing for people, i play for me. Music helped me to grow as a person, and is always my best medecine. So, when i didn't have band, i played hours and hours with cds, with drumbox, just with the bass, just to feel this hapiness of music in my body and mind.

When i play only bass, without nothing else, i play melodies, chords, harmonics

• Members

I play bass and sing in a band, but I also write songs, and play solo, singer/songwriter stuff on acoustic guitar. So, I always have something going on besides a band. In short, I never let NOT being in a band get me down. But being in a band is REAL cool if you have chemistry with the other band members and everyone is cool. So far, I have all that!

Frankly, I am not too into just sitting around playing bass by myself. I do it to practice, or run through songs for the band, but alone I much prefer guitar. It is MUCH better if I am alone and playing 12 string bass!!

• Members

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I'm even in a kind-of band and I still get annoyed playing by myself (because all we do pretty much is jam around random riffs and {censored}). I've got nothing really to learn, and if I spend time learning a random cover song we occasionally play, we stop playing it by the time I know it.

Basically, I find it tough even to force myself to practice enough to keep my current pathetic chops, what with the Masters program and my job.

I oughta start taking lessons again. I think that'd be good motivation.

• Members

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I'm even in a kind-of band and I still get annoyed playing by myself (because all we do pretty much is jam around random riffs and {censored}). I've got nothing really to learn, and if I spend time learning a random cover song we occasionally play, we stop playing it by the time I know it.

Basically, I find it tough even to force myself to practice enough to keep my current pathetic chops, what with the Masters program and my job.

I oughta start taking lessons again. I think that'd be good motivation.

I am sorry to hear that, I HATE to just jam. Boy, what a monumental waste of time!

Just playing bass a day for even a half hour can help keep your chops, but I really have to have a reason, like learning songs for a band, or coming up with bass lines for an original song of mine I am recording, otherwise, I may not pick up a bass for weeks or even months.

When I got my Master's I didn't play bass for years!! Still, it all came back really fast when I did return to the instrument. Granted, I play straight ahead rock and pop, so it wasn't like I had to get back to my Stanley Clarke-style of bassplaying!;)

Archived