No More Neckdive!

Thunderbroom

• Moderators

Hmm. I have some slight neckdive on my Attitude. Do you think it could be fixed in the same way as this one?

I assume that's the one in your avatar. If so, no. However, there may be other fixes. Moving the strap button on the body (as opposed to the button on the upper horn) might help improve balance. As would lighter tuners. The worst case scenario is to weight the body side with lead tape in the control cavity or similar silliness. :)

• Members

I assume that's the one in your avatar. If so, no. However, there may be other fixes. Moving the strap button on the body (as opposed to the button on the upper horn) might help improve balance. As would lighter tuners. The worst case scenario is to weight the body side with lead tape in the control cavity or similar silliness.
:)

I don't mind the extra weight of lead tape in the control cavity, really. It doesn't sound that silly to me. I'd rather avoid moving the strap button if I can.

Doesn't it take an awful lot of lead tape though? The neck on this thing is effin' heavy.

• Moderators

I don't mind the extra weight of lead tape in the control cavity, really. It doesn't sound that silly to me. I'd rather avoid moving the strap button if I can.

Doesn't it take an awful lot of lead tape though? The neck on this thing is effin' heavy.

Experiment with things like a roll of coins to find the right weight. Depending on how off the balance is, it might take a little or a lot. I have not spent a lot of time thinking about correcting balance issues in cases like yours, so there might be better solutions out there. I'm sure it is worth a google search to see what you can find.

• Members

Experiment with things like a roll of coins to find the right weight. Depending on how off the balance is, it might take a little or a lot. I have not spent a lot of time thinking about correcting balance issues in cases like yours, so there might be better solutions out there. I'm sure it is worth a google search to see what you can find.

I tried taping some stuff to the body now, and it seems like around 250g in the body would get rid of the neckdive. That sounds like an awful lot of lead tape though. Perhaps I could rout a hole or two in the back of the body and fill up with weights? I really have started to like this bass again now, but the neckdive is still annoying...

• Members

I tried taping some stuff to the body now, and it seems like around 250g in the body would get rid of the neckdive. That sounds like an awful lot of lead tape though. Perhaps I could rout a hole or two in the back of the body and fill up with weights? I really have started to like this bass again now, but the neckdive is still annoying...

Get a wide strap with a non slick material like leather so it stays put.

Dan

• Members

I have that. It still dives quite a bit.

A less permanent solution than routing the bass would be to tape lead fishing weights into the control cavity. That way, you wouldn't have to use inordinate amounts of tape, and the mod is reversible.

• Members

I just don't understand how it could dive so much. It has the basics of good balance. The TF dives a little but a wide strap solved it. It has a D tuner and heavy tuners.

dan

The neck wood is the densest cut of maple I've ever encountered, and the body is on the lighter side. I doubt I could fit 250g of fishing weights or lead tape in the cavity as it is now, but I can try.

• Members

It will probably help a bit, but not that much. The savings is about 20g per tuner, which is 60g total, as only 3 of them are replaceable.

The neck wood is the densest cut of maple I've ever encountered, and the body is on the lighter side. I doubt I could fit 250g of fishing weights or lead tape in the cavity as it is now, but I can try.

well that sucks.

Dan

• Members

Rocked the tele at our auditions yesterday.

It was dead quiet unless I got extremely close to the amp (which I had/have no real reason to do). Thanks again to Kindness!

All three of the guitarists that auditioned commented on the bass. They all thought it was bad ass. It is.

:)

• Members

It will probably help a bit, but not that much. The savings is about 20g per tuner, which is 60g total, as only 3 of them are replaceable.

Dude, the best cure for dive is moving the strap button if possible. Even saving 60 oz of weight in the headstock won't be as effective as even a small movement of the strap button neckward. It's in the math. If you really want to cure or reduce dive, move the button. And I have a rock maple five string neck with a headstock that has full size Gotoh tuners and a battery pack for LED's on it that doesn't dive, with no upper horn at all, only because of where I could position the strap button. Believe dat. And it's very hard to type when drunk...

Archived