When you play Covers...

Marko

• Members

Depends on the song. If there's a signature riff like 'My Sharona' I try to keep close to the original line. If there's room to breathe but keep the spirit of the original feel, I'll stretch my legs a bit. The drummer and I play around with 'Listen to the Music' but it still grooves. It boils down to whatever works best for the song.

• Members

Depends on the song. If there's a signature riff like 'My Sharona' I try to keep close to the original line. If there's room to breathe but keep the spirit of the original feel, I'll stretch my legs a bit. The drummer and I play around with 'Listen to the Music' but it still grooves. It boils down to whatever works best for the song.

That make sense to me. :)

• Members

First I learn it exactly as played originally, then I sometimes have to adapt it to fit my preferred band format - the 1 guitar type band... That sometimes means I have to fill in some spots, so that we don't miss a 2nd guitarist... Other than that, sometimes I'll add to the original, but am careful to avoid too much wankery... I nearly always stick to the original key, otherwise I'll drop the song...

- georgestrings

• Members

Well put. This was always my approach when I was doing covers.

• Members

I play covers as a cover. When you hit the first note of that song, everyone in the audience knows what it is, a cover. They expect something that they have heard the recording of a million times before, so i normally stick pretty close to the original... of course when you throw in a different fill or something different here and there, it's fine. the only time when you DON'T play close to the original is if you are trying to give the orginal a huge twist.

Cover bands don't normally twist their covers, original bands that are covering someone else twist their covers.

• Members

If you're playing covers for money, I feel that you need to approximate the song as closely as possible with the personnel/instrumentation available in your band.

If you're an original band covering a song, you've got a lot more lattitude to either play it straight or try to deconstruct/reinvent the song.

• Members

Most of time, i listen to the bass part, to get the feel of it. Then i will keep riffs i find it necessary (for example "money". i can't imagien play it without the original riff). Then, when i have structure, chords, i play it like i feel it. And often change it little by little.

Archived