Double Bass suggestions?

Goofball Jones

• Members

As in the "around $1500" range plywood type. Not the 80 year old antiques that cost more than my house.
:D

Thanks for asking this question. I've been wondering the same thing lately. I had a chance to play a couple of URBs at Sam Ash over the weekend. One of them was the sort of run-of-the-mill $1200 job that SA carries a lot of (Violins, Cellos, Violas, etc). The other was a used thing that was gorgeos and played pretty nicely, except the finger board had a couple of really unfriendly looking cracks. It also effected the sound down by F# on the E string.

Are there any buying resources on line? Any somewhat simple correlations you URB vets can make on pricing vs. quality? Like, to get an instrument that would be the quality as say a $1000~$1500 electric bass(BOALG's magic pricing range), you'd have to look at X or Y URB manufacturer and expect to pay $XXXX.XX?? Like what are the pricing shelfs?

• Members

I'd get one from Bob -

Bob is great, but last I heard he dosnt set em up anymore.

You can also check out these reputable folks.

http://www.fretwellbass.com/?source=bbp

http://www.uptonbass.com/the-upton-bass-double-basses/

Online forums:

Talkbass doublebass forum

Bluegrass Bass Place

• Members

Are there any buying resources on line? Any somewhat simple correlations you URB vets can make on pricing vs. quality? Like, to get an instrument that would be the quality as say a $1000~$1500 electric bass(BOALG's magic pricing range), you'd have to look at X or Y URB manufacturer and expect to pay $XXXX.XX?? Like what are the pricing shelfs?

Well, apart from the place that Bob just linked to above, there's also Woodwind & Brasswind. They're just south of me in Mishawaka, Indiana and I go down there as their showroom totally blows away any Guitar Center I've been in. The place is massive...plus they have an "outlet" area for reduce priced gear.

Woodwind & Brasswind is basically another part of Music123...and it's the same warehouse they all ship out of.

• Members

The basic pricing categories are:

Under $1000 Cheap Chine bass shaped object.

$1000-$2000 a decent all plywood

$2000-$5000 a decent hybrid(solid top, ply back&sides or a KILLER all ply like the Cleveland.

$5000 to infinity-All solid hand carved.

Plys are fine if all your gonna do is pizz. If your serious about orch. or bow work, best to go with a hybrid of fully carved.

• Members

$2000-$5000 a decent hybrid(solid top, ply back&sides or a KILLER all ply like the Cleveland.

Plys are fine if all your gonna do is pizz. If your serious about orch. or bow work, best to go with a hybrid of fully carved.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

• Members

Great assessment. Also, there's nothing wrong with a plywood for learning with a bow. It won't have the defined sound of carved bass, but just for learning how to play it's more than adequate.

One thing about buying a carved bass though is they are an investment. They won't depreciate, and may become more valuable.

• Members

Great assessment. Also, there's nothing wrong with a plywood for learning with a bow. It won't have the defined sound of carved bass, but just for learning how to play it's more than adequate.

One thing about buying a carved bass though is they are an investment. They won't depreciate, and may become more valuable.

Agreed. They also take a lot of maintenence over time, and absolutely need to have humidifiers in them to keep the glued joints from seperating.

For the OP I would seriously look up any string luthiers near your area and make a trip out to see some basses. There may be the perfect bass near you already, you never know. Also you NEED to know a good, skilled string luthier when you own an upright, and it's never too early to start building up a relationship with one. Setups, small repairs here and there, and a lot of things you won't forsee need a skilled luthier and no upright I've ever dealt with was immune to issues. And besides, you haven't lived until you watched a luthier completely dismantle your precious hand carved upright into nothing but pieces right before your eyes.:eek:;)

• Members

dont buy an engleheart...

call lemur music and talk to them about a solana...$1500 the best bass in that price range i have EVER played...

What exactly do you find superior about these? I certainly respect your opinion.

Also - do you see anything significantly different in the new Englehardts than the ones made 15 - 20 years ago?

• Members

Alright...any recommended local shops in the Cincinnati area?

:)

I bet bob can help you with that.

For Goofball there are a number of very good shops in Chicago. Some offer a rent to own policy where you rent for a year and then, when you buy, every penny from your rentals goes toward your purchase. They'll let you return them later for an upgrade to a nicer bass and put your entire purchase price towards your next bass.

There's A440

or Kaigen & gaines

and others.

• Members

Alright...any recommended local shops in the Cincinnati area?

:)

We lost our nice downtown bass viol shop. The man you want to talk to is Andy Stetson up in Cheviot. He's a good luthier and deals in double basses.

If you can't find a number for him, I'll try to dig it up. The address should be on Montana. ;)

Archived