Should I get a cheap URB?

abstract

• Members

I've been playing electric bass for a while. I think I'd like to have an URB.

Ebay has some for less than $500 shipped. Should I get a cheap one sight unseen? I will not be playing gig's with it, I'll just be messing around in the man cave.

I would want to set it up for super low action, and string it with thin strings. Most of the URB's I've messed around with have very high action, and verge on being unplayable.

Do URB's have a truss rod, or is the only option shaving the bridge?

• Members

I've been playing electric bass for a while. I think I'd like to have an URB.

Good idea, upright bass kicks arse!

Ebay has some for less than $500 shipped. Should I get a cheap one sight unseen? I will not be playing gig's with it, I'll just be messing around in the man cave.

Hmm.. not a good idea. You struggle to get a good electric bass for that price, and an upright is quite another animal. Trying to play a real cheap upright bass is downright frustrating.

I would want to set it up for super low action, and string it with thin strings. Most of the URB's I've messed around with have very high action, and verge on being unplayable.

Do URB's have a truss rod, or is the only option shaving the bridge?

They have no truss rod. Bridge shaving only works if the fingerboard is good too, remember.

• Members

Here's what mine needed. The bridge trimmed to follow the shape of the neck and grooves recut. The nut filed much deeper. After the work, oh and you'll have to oil the neck because they are plain wood, after all that they do sound like much more expensive basses. I got nothing but compliments on the tone.

• Members

Here's what mine needed. The bridge trimmed to follow the shape of the neck and grooves recut. The nut filed much deeper. After the work, oh and you'll have to oil the neck because they are plain wood, after all that they do sound like much more expensive basses. I got nothing but compliments on the tone.

Was it a cheap-o?

• Members

Actually the Cremona SB2 & 3's are pretty decent once you get them setup properly.From what I hear they sound better than the Englehardts.Not anywhere near as nice as them carved Bulgarian jobs Bob Gollihar sells but they are much cheaper.So long as the seller has a return policy it's worth a shot.Just be dead sure someone will be around at delivery who can inspect the bass BEFORE signing/accepting it.

• Members

$500 new for an URB is a disappointment waiting to happen. I'd keep my eyes open for a used bass in the same range.

Could be but the one I bought didn't have a single issue. I heard a guy play a bass made in the 50's over the weekend with much less sustain than the new one I bought.

• Members

Its risky. I know of 3 local bassists who bought cheap Chines basses (CCBs) for $500-$600 in the last 5 yrs. They all sounded fine for their intended use, Bluegrass thumpers. Loud enough W/decent pizz tone.

One bass came apart within 2 months. THe neck came off and the back came unglued.

Another one lasted about a year before the back and top came loose.

Both of these basses have contiued to exibit structural problems, they get worked on pretty much constantly.

The 3rd one is still solid after 5 yrs.

You could be ok, or you could have some substantial ongoing luthier bills.

• Members

How cheap CAN you go and still have a decent expectation of quality?

I'm talking quality BUILD, not tone. I will be using it for Primus covers, and general screwing-off. So tone is not a requirement, but playability and quality construction is.

• Members

They would seem like that if you are comparing them to a bass guitar, and have not learned how to correctly play an upright. You are going to need to build up your hand strength, and learn a new instrument if you get one, they are not guitars. Using sloppy bass guitar adapted techniques are a sure way to fail and can actually cause injuries. I've played low action uprights, set up for amplified jazz styles of music, and even those are much higher than even the worst set up bass guitar, and require a lot more strength. Accept that, and learn to play the right way if you get one.

Archived