played my first show tonight with Westone "musician" ear plugs....

catphish

• Members

are those custom fitted? I hear custom ear plugs are awesome...

Yes. I wore them for one rehearsal before the show. By the end of the first set I forgot I had them on. I think I took to them more quickly than most people so YMMV. $175 and worth more than every penny.

• Members

I wear cheapies for most stuff. I should get some good ones, but I don't see loud music that often. Hearing damage is a bitch, though. I have started to develop tinnitus(nasty {censored}). My friends pick on me for wearing ear plugs while using loud equipment(lawn tractor, weed eater, etc) {censored}'em its my hearing thats messed up.

• Members

Imagine playing in a hard rock band. It's kinda difficult to head bang etc. if the stage volume is low.

Hearing damage sneaks up on you. I'm only 26, I can barely hear my bass if others are playing with me. I can't hear people talk in noisy rooms either. Everything I hear turns to mud if there is background noise now.

• Members

Hearing damage sneaks up on you. I'm only 26, I can barely hear my bass if others are playing with me. I can't hear people talk in noisy rooms either. Everything I hear turns to mud if there is background noise now.

tell me about it. i was at the beach today and the waves took out all the freqs that i need to hear people talk. cafes bars are the same. even a room of people when a stereo is on . wish i had have worn ear plugs

• Members

I can't get into the music unless it's loud.

Please reconsider this. Hearing loss and tinnitus due to loud volume is permanent. It can be, literally, maddening.

I read somewhere that Jeff Beck at one point considered suicide; his tinnitus was so overwhelming.

• Members

It seems to me that if you need earplugs on stage, then your stage volume is too loud.

Disagree. Long-term exposure to even an 85db signal can cause hearing loss.

Decibel Exposure Time Guidelines

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002. For every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

Continuous dB/Permissible Exposure Time

85 db

8 hours

88 dB

4 hours

91 db

2 hours

94 db

1 hour

97 db

30 minutes

100 db

15 minutes

103 db

7.5 minutes

106 dB

3.75 min (

109 dB

1.875 min (

112 dB

.9375 min (~1 min)

115 dB

.46875 min (~30 sec)

thermometer.jpg

• Members

Imagine playing in a hard rock band. It's kinda difficult to head bang etc. if the stage volume is low.

Fake MTV imagery.

Most metal musicians use earplugs all the time, with good reasons.

Deafness won't make you a better musician.

This isn't metal at all :

choix4.jpg

• Members

Fake MTV imagery.

Most metal musicians use earplugs all the time, with good reasons.

Deafness won't make you a better musician.

This isn't metal at all :

choix4.jpg

Does it strike anyone else as irresponsible, maybe even criminal, that bands are up there with earplugs and often a very reasonable stage volume, while pumping out jet-engine volumes toward hundreds of unprotected people?

• Members

Unprotected ? Maybe you are but I always wear earplugs when I go to loud concerts, especially since I have a tendancy to stand right in front of the scene.

I remember seeing DInosaur Jr a long time ago and they distributed earplugs to the audience. :)

• Members

I have a custom fitted pair but I don't wear them enough.When I first tried them I was not very confdent with my playing and I felt like my timing was off. The other guys in the band didn't notice that but I still felt off.After some time playing together I tried them again and they didn't feel as odd. I am going to wear them for all rehersals from now on and if I can get used to them I will wear them at gigs as well. I work construction for a living so I do wear ear protection 90% of the time at work. Most guys pull the macho thing like "I don't need those tampons in my ears" or something like that but those are the guys that you have to yell at to have a conversation with.

I just listed my hearing protection as part of my gear. Maybe that will help remind me to use them from now on.

• Members

Why do you need them?

It seems to me that if you need earplugs on stage, then your stage volume is too loud.

It doesn't take that high of a volume level to cause hearing damage. Even not on stage, the sound in the room was loud enough that ear plugs would offer protection. We're not really that loud of a band. I'm not wearing them because it's painful. But it's more than just a volume drop, it was as if everything was made clearer.

• Members

Unprotected ? Maybe you are but I always wear earplugs when I go to loud concerts, especially since I have a tendancy to stand right in front of the scene.

I remember seeing DInosaur Jr a long time ago and they distributed earplugs to the audience.
:)

when I saw maiden back in the 80's, they passed out earplugs as well.

This was in their "Live After Death" days, when they toured with semi's full of Carver power amps (over 150,000 watts of sound :eek:)

• Members

I just ordered two pair of the universal fit plugs.

http://www.westone.com/index.php?load=catalog&page=ety&group_id=ETYHP

If I like them and am not happy with the fit, I'll go custom.

I've been meaning to get something like this for a while as the foam plugs make me feel dizzy.

Thanks!

:thu:

Lots of people like the universals. I tried them a year ago or so, but I don't remember them well enough to say how they compare.

• Members

Read this morning that an aggressive drummer can hit 135db.

We had a drummer that used to mess with me all time. He used to hit the cymbal closest to me and it would really screw me up some times. I never wore ear plugs in the time that I spent playing death metal. One of our guitarist always had his amp dimed out and refused to turn down. Our stage volume was always so freakin loud. I think now, although undiagnosed, have suffered substantial hearing loss. I alway have a loud ringing in my ears, and I stuggle sometimes to hear things at certain volumes while my wife can hear it just fine. It's very annoying and wish I would have taken steps to protect myself. My wife thinks I'm full of crap though, and thinks I use it as an excuse to ignore her.

Archived