If there's one thing I'll never take for granted...

bikehorn

• Members

...it's vision correction. I have horrible eyes, -4.25 on both sides with mild astigmatism, and although it's possible to have much worse vision, this is still bad enough to make any reading except close-up impossible without glasses or contacts. Obviously, shapes and faces are blurred too.

I just gave my glasses to the optical shop because the glare coating on my lenses is pitting, in a weird pattern of vertical lines that makes light sources look smeared. Walking around without glasses on usually only happens at 3 AM or when I wake up in the morning but I've been without them all afternoon and damn, this is a horrible feeling. I put on my beat up old pair now, which is a relief. I can't imagine having eyes this bad and living in a poor country somewhere where clear vision is a luxury. I would be useless.

Maybe some day I'll get laser surgery so I can see things properly the minute I wake up, without having to blindly hunt around my room for my glasses.

• Members

I want to get lazed up for correction pretty bad, but now that it's a common procedure my medical insurance at work WON'T cover it. They did cover it until about 3 years ago. :(

-5.75/-5.25 O.D./O.S.

At least they have No Interest Payment plans now. :(

• Members

what was your bill if i may ask Bassius?? my wife has very poor vision and were thinking of this for her in the future.. just tossing around the idea.

my GF is getting her eyes done tomorrow. she is in the -5 range in both eyes and has some other issues as well. she needed some advanced testing to make sure she was a good fit for the surgery. she also has astigmatisms.

she is paying over $2000 because of her situation and she didnt want to go to the cheapest place around which just started charging $799 per eye.

• Members

This thread is a good enough excuse to jump on my personal bandwagon (or is it soapbox?) and say...

Everyone with kids, get their eyes checked by age 2! Especially if there are any signs of a "lazy eye". It is important.

Thank you.

• Members

:eek:Bad eyes?

Mine are -7.75 in both!

I have a pattern of worsening eyesight and I'm only 21...give me a few years and I'll get to -7.75 eventually. My sister is -8.5 and -9.

Anyway, I just got back from the opto-shop and I was surprised that they gave me brand new Nikon lenses even though the warranty expired a month ago! The clarity is unreal now that the glare coating isn't pitted. Score.

• Members

I've heard that Lasik will eventually start to reverse itself. Is that true?

No. You can see some regression at times, especially if you have a very strong prescription. Enhancement rate for someone in the -2.00D range is usually only about 2-3% in our surgery center.

• Members

Sweet! AF or MF? Nikkor or E-series? Zoom or prime? AI, AI-S, G...oh, wait...

All my camera optics are all classic Minolta MD mount manual focus. One 50mm f/1.4 and a 70-210mm f/4.5 telephoto. For a photography n00b like me they provide some nice results.

• Members

what was your bill if i may ask Bassius?? my wife has very poor vision and were thinking of this for her in the future.. just tossing around the idea.

$3000 for life time acuity

in other words....if my eyes get old as i do...i go in for a tune-up...prepaid

• Members

$3000 for life time acuity

in other words....if my eyes get old as i do...i go in for a tune-up...prepaid

that is definitely worth it.

i've noticed just recently that i need to hold books a little farther away than i used to. is that correctable with lasik?

• Members

Was about -5.75 in both eyes until I was zapped. Best thing I ever did.

Now my right eye is superb, my left slightly less so. Combined though I have about 20/20 vision. Maybe slightly under, but I can see well enough to drive safely and I can get additions to the procedure done at any time in my life if I choose to. Not that I think it'll be necessary :thu:

Not a perfect solution, but I'm definitely much happier having had it done. For people in the UK I'd reccomend Ultralase, great service throughout.

• Members

No. You can see some regression at times, especially if you have a very strong prescription. Enhancement rate for someone in the -2.00D range is usually only about 2-3% in our surgery center.

I would like to have it done, my eyes are -2.00ish.

I'm worried about possible damage, and 2-3% correction doesn't really seem worth it :/

• Members

only 16, don't plan to get anything zapped until 18 or 19

Good idea, I waited til 21 when my eyes had stopped degrading. Plus, in the UK at least, most companies are reluctant to operate on anyone under 21.

It's one of those things that's hard to really reccomend, since everyone's eyes are so different, but it worked out for me :thu:

• Members

I had radial keratotomy back in my 20's. That's where they cut on your eyeballs with a diamond blade! None of this sissy-assed laser starbucks-era low pants-wearing generation crap! DIAMOND CUTS IN YOUR EYEBALLS!

......LIKE A REAL MAN! AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!! :mad:

• Members

I would like to have it done, my eyes are -2.00ish.

I'm worried about possible damage, and 2-3% correction doesn't really seem worth it :/

Let me clarify, at -2.00D-ish you have around a 98% chance of seeing 20/20 or better with one procedure. The chance that you will show some regression and need an enhancement is about 2-3%. If you need an enhancement the chance that you will see 20/20 or better is around 99%. This all assumes that your eyes are otherwise healthy and were seeing well prior to surgery.

• Members

I had radial keratotomy back in my 20's. That's where they cut on your eyeballs with a diamond blade! None of this sissy-assed laser starbucks-era low pants-wearing generation crap! DIAMOND CUTS IN YOUR EYEBALLS!

......LIKE A REAL MAN! AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!
:mad:

Diamond blades are for pussies! Real men had their RK done with a broken edge of a razor blade! :mad:

And yes, they really used to do it that way. :freak:

Archived