8ohm head to 4 ohm cabinet,can i do this???

newfienighthawk

• Members

Start at the note that says: "J4 isolated from chassis". J3 and J4 are the series-wired speaker jacks. Below J3 is the word Yellow. Between Yellow and Black is the symbol for 8 ohms that refers to T2, the tranny.

Instead of directing us where to look...it would be much easier to just tell us! But...since you are saying that it says 8 ohms...I guess you are. Problem is, you can hook up a 4 ohm cab to that head. If that's the case (and I know it is) this head isn't only 8 ohms as you keep saying.

• Members

Instead of directing us where to look...it would be much easier to just tell us! But...since you are saying that it says 8 ohms...I guess you are. Problem is, you can hook up a 4 ohm cab to that head. If that's the case (and I know it is) this head isn't only 8 ohms as you keep saying.

As you wish.

To the OP, sorry for jacking your thread.

• Members

Start at the note that says: "J4 isolated from chassis". J3 and J4 are the series-wired speaker jacks. Below J3 is the word Yellow. Between Yellow and Black is the symbol for 8 ohms that refers to T2, the tranny.

OK, I see what you're talking about, but that in no way denotes that this particualr amp is made to handle an 8 ohm load ONLY - as you've been mistakenly trying to claim...

- georgestrings

• Members

OK, I see what you're talking about, but that in no way denotes that this particualr amp is made to handle an 8 ohm load ONLY - as you've been mistakenly trying to claim...

- georgestrings

What I've been claiming is that the amp itself operates at 8 ohms, although Traynor recommends the use of either one or two 4-ohm cabs with it. That's different than claiming the amp is made to handle an 8 ohm load only.

• Members

It doesn't have an OT.

I am not familiar with tube amps, other than owning a few. What is T-2? It looks like a tranformer that has its secondary in parallel with the speakers. I assumed this was an OT. I trust your knowledge, and was curious as to what this is, and if you have a readily available schematic of a OT circuit.

FWIW, I have not done any professional electronic work for years, and to say I am rusty is a huge understatement.

• Members

What I've been claiming is that the amp itself operates at 8 ohms, although Traynor recommends the use of either one or two 4-ohm cabs with it. That's different than claiming the amp is made to handle an 8 ohm load only.

Actually, your exact words were:

"My Traynor YBA-3 is an 8-ohm "only" head,"

Dude, you made a mistake and everyone can see it - now instead of stubbornly trying to deny it, why not just man up and admit it???

- georgestrings

• Members

I am not familiar with tube amps, other than owning a few. What is T-2? It looks like a tranformer that has its secondary in parallel with the speakers. I assumed this was an OT. I trust your knowledge, and was curious as to what this is, and if you have a readily available schematic of a OT circuit.

FWIW, I have not done any professional electronic work for years, and to say I am rusty is a huge understatement.

Oh hell yeah that's an OT - it's pretty much a necessity in a tube amp design.

• Members

Actually, your exact words were:

"My Traynor YBA-3 is an 8-ohm "only" head,"

Dude, you made a mistake and everyone can see it - now instead of stubbornly trying to deny it, why not just man up and admit it???

- georgestrings

See post #35.

• Members

By "8-ohm only", I was saying that the amp operates at 8 ohms only, as there is no impedance selector switch. However, Traynor listed both 4 and 8-ohm speaker cabs as options for the YBA-3.

I for one understand what you're getting at - basically, traynor is recommending a lower impedance cab than the amps nominal impedance rating of 8 ohms.

You don't see that on solid state amps, cuz they release magic smoke; but like an earlier poster said, tube amps do okay with lower impedance output loads.

• Moderators

My comment was directed to the response I quoted which is in response to the original post and therefore based on the assumption the amp in question is a Yorkville XS800H (based on reviewing the OP's last thread - which does not give a definite answer). I could be wrong.

On the YBA-3, T2 is the output transformer.

• Members

My comment was directed to the response I quoted which is in response to the original post and therefore based on the assumption the amp in question is a Yorkville XS800H (based on reviewing the OP's last thread - which does not give a definite answer). I could be wrong.

On the YBA-3, T2 is the output transformer.

cool, thank-you. I read the whole thread, but assumed you were referring to the 1 with the manual posted. sorry for the confusion.

Archived