My Homemade Fretless Bass - picture help?

fallstar208

• Members
KICKASS. the bass is smokin... the concept of it all meshes beautifully together. i totally dig it.. I would grab it off a rack to play/buy it!!!!

So whats going to go on the head stock? your name? blank? what haved you named this beast... Zebraless? hehehe
:D

:thu:
awsome job man.!!!! maybe u got a nack for it and u could start taking orders...

Ha, slow down...

First off, thanks for the compliment. Good to know my taste isn't too obscure that it could appeal to others. My original idea for the headstock was to put a big block M up there, since it's my last initial and I thought it'd look kinda cool. But for now, I don't know. I want to get at least one more under my belt before I start thinking about naming them. There may be a doubleneck in my distant future...

• Members

Very satisfying. I'm having a hard time putting it down, but I figured I'd parade it around the forum like a proud parent.

As well you should! A VERY nice accomplishment! I've been putzing on that Warmoth of mine for nearly as long, and that was supplied ready-to-finish. So I'd say you've done very well!

• Members
Very nice. It makes me happy to look at it.

same here:). I just plugged it in and cranked it up after adjusting the pickup height last night (no small feat considering I'm retarded and managed to strip about every screw on this damn thing...), and with a little bit of my amp's octave effect and some war pigs, it sounds fantastic. Loud, good sustain, strong lows, clear highs, solid mids. I'm losing interest in my lakland..

• Members

That wood looks beautiful! Great job!

My buddy is going to school for woodworking, and for his second year project, he built a guitar from a Carvin neck. Turned out just as awesome, and everyone that plays it is blown away (he didn't even have to touch the truss-rod after getting it all together). Even inspired me to start a Warmoth j-bass project (best I can do without access to a wood shop).

BTW, I've heard rumors that working with zebrawood without a respirator or serious dust mask can make you "sick" (nobody cared to elaborate on "sick"). Anyway, did you have any problems with yours?

• Members

{censored}, zebrawood dust can make you sick? I breathed in a decent amount of it while sanding it down, but I haven't felt anything yet. I will, however, blame any typos on that.

Funny you should mention Les Claypool, Optimus - Iwas listening to way too much primus when I drew out the initial design, maybe studying up on him was subtly influencing me. I also pulled a little bit from a Ric too - the headstock is a very slight nod to them.

as far as the preamp / knobs and switches thing goes, this was my first attempt at messing with the wiring of a bass, and it's pretty ugly under that plate. There's a pic of it but I'm hesitant to post it because it's a real mess. If I wanted to even throw a tone knob on there, I'd probably have to go through and clean it all up. Might be easier just to get a preamp, but that's an entirely different thread. One I'll probably start right now...

ps the dimarzios are fantastic. Can't say enough good things about them so far.

• Members

{censored}, zebrawood dust can make you sick? I breathed in a decent amount of it while sanding it down, but I haven't felt anything yet. I will, however, blame any typos on that.

Funny you should mention Les Claypool, Optimus - Iwas listening to way too much primus when I drew out the initial design, maybe studying up on him was subtly influencing me. I also pulled a little bit from a Ric too - the headstock is a very slight nod to them.

as far as the preamp / knobs and switches thing goes, this was my first attempt at messing with the wiring of a bass, and it's pretty ugly under that plate. There's a pic of it but I'm hesitant to post it because it's a real mess. If I wanted to even throw a tone knob on there, I'd probably have to go through and clean it all up. Might be easier just to get a preamp, but that's an entirely different thread. One I'll probably start right now...

ps the dimarzios are fantastic. Can't say enough good things about them so far.

Kinda seems like a mix of these to me.

LESrainbow.jpg4001c64s-2.jpg

472286.jpg

My next bass is going to have Vol - Blend - Treble - Mid - Bass, Mid freq selector switch and an active/passive switch. Going to look like mission control, the lesson here is "more knobs/switches = more badass".

• Members

I agree more knobs = more badass. I use the 3 band eq on my lakland all the time. In this case, though, having never made a bass or wired anything, I erred on the side of caution and decided not to put too much on there. I like the idea of a passive fretless, though - very organic sounding, if that means anything and isn't just a buzzword we like to throw around

Archived