the demise of your first vehicle.

jonathan_matos5

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was thinking car, but my first vehicle was a Yamaha 100cc 2-cycle twin road bike. What a piece of crap. A baby blue chunk of uncool on 2 wheels.

Sounded bad, rode bad, looked bad. Icky-bad.

Sold it and bought a Suzuki TS-185 enduro that I put about 25,000 miles on.

• Members

My first car was a teal 91 chevy cavalier, 4 cylinder, 2 door. It wasn't a bad car, but a blown tire led to a roll down a 20ft hill and pretty much made the car undriveable. It did still start, it's just that the roof was kind of caved in. :D I have some pics burned to a DVD at home. I'll post them up later if I think about it...

• Members
That's awesome!

Friends of mine back at the school said they saw me coming all the way down the mountain. Lookout Mountain road is literally a switchback 2-lane road that goes up the side of a mountain, so there was no place to pull over, I had to bomb down the hill. By the time I got to the bottom the fire had gone out, it was just a little bit of oil in the exhaust system, but holy {censored} did it put off some smoke!:D
I'm surprised the fire department didn't meet me at the bottom...

That was nothing compared to the smoke screen I left behind me after I did a maniacal e-brake slide in the gravel parking lot at Red Rocks (again, ditching class to kick hacky sack and take bong hits) and tipped it on its side. You have to go up a long hill to get back to Golden, so I was rapped out in 2nd gear the whole way, leaving behind what looked like a jet contrail. Good Times.:cool:
C7

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Mine was a 1987 Camaro Sport Coupe. I got it as a graduation present a month before I got out of high school. I had been wanting a Camaro for the longest time and I found it at a dealership a few blocks from my house.

I loved that car, but I'm pretty sure it was cursed or something. About a year after I had it, I wanted to put the ground effects on it and make it look like an Iroc. I bought the ground effects, took it in and had them installed and had the car repainted. It looked awesome. I took it out cruising right after I picked it up and the engine overheated. I had to get it towed to the dealership, and the tow truck ripped the rear ground effects off the car!

I had it from 1994-99 and I went through 4 or 5 alternators, probably a half dozen mass air flow sensors. I ended up having to get the engine rebuilt then after I got it back from that the oil pressure kept getting down to zero. I took it back in and the guy who owned the garage didn't believe me. I went back home, got my dad and my dad made him go out and look at it. He did and found out that the block was cracked, so he had to put another engine in it for free.

I still loved that car even though it put me through hell, and it was pretty hard for me to sell it. I always told myself that I'd get another one, and 2 years ago I picked up a '92 Z28 with around 56,000 miles on it.

• Members

1967 Camaro.

Never even got more than a temp plate on it, despite putting a lot of work into it. The state registry Nazis kept coming up with one reason after another to deny it, and I was just a kid pretty much handling this on my own. Ultimately, in a short span of time, it developed electrical problems, I ran out of money, and the Nazis told me they would not register it if the VIN numbers differed from the 2 locations they said every car had it in. "They better match, or it's stolen." The 1968 Camaro had the VIN in the 2 places he was talking about; the '67 did not, but what did I know, I was a long haired kid with a Camaro. Since I didn't have the money to tackle an electrical system that was acting up even if I won my registration fight in the Supreme Court, I sold it to someone from another state.

Replaced it with a 74 Volvo; that got a minor hit from behind, breaking the tail light, and the insurance co. totalled it since it would have cost $600 to fix the $400 car. Kept driving it, until it self destructed.

• Members

Hmmm...I might win the wierd award, my first car was a 1964 Corvair Monza. I drove the wheels off that thing for about a year until the shrunken powerglide tranny self destructed. Really liked that car too, it was either stopped or 105 mph, you just drove it like a go-cart...lol.:)

• Members
Purchased in 1997:

medtext_600.jpg

Mine was burgandy. I loved that car. Sold it when I moved from Seattle to California for college. I hope to own one again some day.

The first one I saw which inspired me to get mine looked just like this one:

Volvo_C301973_1800-ES.jpg

:love:

Those old Volvos where a piece of artwork.

I fondly remember my 242. My ex- totaled it.
How the Fu(k do you total a Volvo?
That's like totaling a M1A tank!

Archived