the demise of your first vehicle.

jonathan_matos5

• Members

I used to work on them when I was a Volvo tech. Cool, rare car, very hard to find good examples on the east coast. Way ahead of its time as far as styling and utility.

Yep, I think there were only about 15k in the US. Mine lived the first 20 years of it's life in Northern California and then made its way up to seattle. There was a little rust, but not much. It was a great first car.

Finding some parts was a real challenge...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My first car was a 1980 Ford Fiesta. 1.6L Kent, Weber carb, 4 on the floor, and 12" tires. :freak: Bought it from my bro for $500 and beat the living piss out of it for two years before the rings gave out at 170k or so. I loved that car. If I ever run across one in salvageable condition I'm gonna buy it. Here it is parked next to my second car, an 85 Golf GL:

fiestagolf.jpg

• Members

1963 VW Beetle.

That was the old, old six-volt system (12-volt began in '64 or '66). We had to crawl under it, release the motor mounts and tranny, then lift the body over the loose engine, adjust the valves and replace...every 5000 miles or so. 42 hp engine.

Yes, I loved that car. No, I would NEVER purchase another to replace it. :)

• Members
My first car was a 1980 Ford Fiesta. 1.6L Kent, Weber carb, 4 on the floor, and 12" tires.
:freak:
Bought it from my bro for $500 and beat the living piss out of it for two years before the rings gave out at 170k or so. I loved that car. If I
ever
run across one in salvageable condition I'm gonna buy it. Here it is parked next to my second car, an 85 Golf GL:

fiestagolf.jpg

We had two Fiestas in the family. They were simple, fun cars. My Cortina had the same engine with a higher state of tune.

• Members

My first vehicle was a 1985 Suzuki GS550L, which was a really, really cool bike. I got it when I was 20, and when I was 22 I was accepted to college in Daytona Beach. I was going to put the bike in storage for a couple months until I could have it shipped down to Florida, and took it out on the last ride of the season before I was to put in storage. Sure enough I was riding like a complete idiot, speeding around having fun and tossed it out of a corner I entered way too fast and couldn't hold. Well the bike got all kinds of beat up, and I got a tore up arm too, and nearly got my ass beat by my old man when he and mom had to drive out to find me and haul my stupid butt to the ER. The bike was written off by my insurance company and carted away in pieces. I really regret doing that and loved that bike to death. It took me five years to build up another bike fund, but that first bike and the short time I had it were some of the best memories of my early twentys.

• Members

My first car was a 1985 chevy celebrity. My parents bought it new in 85 and kept it until I turned 16 and gave it to me. It had 210,000 miles on it when I got it. It leaked everything, and I had to replace the alternator, battery, belts, thermostat, and radiator hoses right when I got it. Drove it for a year and a half, until I REALLY needed new tires, and I didn't want to pay for new tires, so I talked my dad into signing a loan for my second car; a brand new chevy S-10. Sold the celebrity to a guy at work for $400. It had 225,000 miles when I sold it to him, and he drove it from Chattanooga, TN to Ohio, and back, and all around Chattanooga for over a year. He left the car at the property he was renting, after his lease ran out, and I guess the landlord had it towed to the scrapyard.

IMG_0413.jpg
sort of like this one, but it wasn't the two tone; the whole thing was the lighter of the two blues in the pic. It had wire spoke hubcaps

• Members

A 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS. 5.0l 302cid V8. I am fairly confident that wherever it is, it's turning heads, guzzling gas, and being comfortable as {censored}.

I will miss that automobile all the rest of my days. I see a lot of old cats that have their vintage cars and they baby them and keep them in a garage, and roll around on sunny days - That's gonna be me in the white whale some day. I will have another one from the same year, same engine, same everything... my {censored} that was a nice car to drive.

dave-merc.JPG

• Members
buic6726thumb1.jpg
!972 Buick Electra 225, given to me by my Father, who bought it new off the lot. Died a natural death of old age, and was retired in a Junk yard in Alb NM.

It was just like the one in the pic, but with a vinyl top!

I almost bought a '72 Electra instead of my Marquis. The deuce and a quarter was {censored}ing HUGE!

• Members

1964 Rambler American 330, white with tan roof, white and beige interior, 4-door. Flat-head 6. Dad bought it when we were in North Carolina, 'cuz no rust, none. Broke down about 200 miles into the trip back to NW PA. Overheating, radiator leaks. Eventually got home, while he drove it and mom drove the wagon. The 5 of us kids learned some new words on that trip. ;p

fast forward, 3 older sisters learned to drive in it. Helped dad pull the fender and straighten the bumper more than once. I got it as a 16th BD present. It didn't run, the front seat was worn out, the carpet shot. We rebuilt the engine, overhauled the tranny, starter, and generator, new carpet, and a seat cover for just under $100. 'Course, that was 1972.

In the 2-1/2 years I had it, it got 50/50 Monroe shocks, better tires, a polished and ground head, carb rejet, and a few other tricks, as well as a butt-kicking Ranger 8-track with open 6x9 speakers sitting on the carpeted rear-window shelf. Wasn't a muscle car, but I pissed off more than one Porsche and MG owner for being able to keep up with them on PA backroads. :lol: And, the engine ran so smoooth that you could balance a coin on it on idle.

Went in Navy '75, brother got car, it finally died when I wasn't there to witness it, and he bought a Pinto.

• Members

I would swear I posted this earlier...:confused:

anyway, my first car was a 68 Firebird similar to this but with full white vinyl roof. nothing special no showroom condition. it was fun and that thing could move....it got stolen less than a year after I bought it.

68brdda.gif

due to the theft I got what would be my ride and pride and joy for several years. my 65 chevelle... I had it for 10 years. I gave it to a dude who was putting together a 65 from a bunch of different {censored}ters and from what I under stand it turned it into a car show classic.... it still lives.....

this is a deluxe 300.

65chevelle2.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

My first car was a 1981 Subaru wagon. It was for sale in the 'hood for a {censored}ing year, and every day my school bus drove by it. When I turned 16 I went and bought it, just to piss off my stepfather.

I don't remember how many miles it had on it, something like 179k. I had to keep the idle set at 2000rpm or else it would stall at stoplights. It had a hole in the exhaust manifold the size of a quarter, and leaked oil like a seive.

It once caught fire coming down Lookout Mountain while my buddy and I ditched class to go take bong hits and fire my potato cannon. It's brakes went out one the same road with 9 kids in it, coming down the hill.

I jumped that car off of a dirt pile, all 4 wheels in the air, and it didn't die. I put it on it's side in the parking lot at Red Rocks and we tipped it back on it's wheels, and drove off before the cops got there. I did a fancy e-brake slide in my high school parking lot and hit some kid's Land Rover. I broke through a locked fence like the A-Team used to. That car had Mad Max written all over it.

Then one day, I cross threaded a spark plug, so I sold it for $100 less than I paid for it. :D
C7

• Members

My first car was a White Bedford van much like this one currently for sale on the bay for $1500.

BedfordVan.jpg

Man I had some great times in this van. I had it for about 3 years from the age of 20. I used to go everywhere up and down to coast to see bands I liked and get messy and just go out and sleep in it, then drive home in the morning when I was sober.
I brought a small sofa bed from clark rubber which folded out flat on the floor in the back for a bed / shagging palace.
I lost count of how many chicks I shagged in this thing! I had it all decked out with velvet padded walls and glow stars on the ceiling. When chicks saw it, they just wanted to jump in it and screw! :thu:

I miss those days! :cry:

I traded it in for a Ford Fairmont Station Wagon with fully sick mag wheels. The poor old Bedford was getting covered in rust and was going to cost me more to reapair than it was worth.
After I traded it I saw some old bloke driving it around. He was using it for his carpet installation business. Good to see it lived on for a few more years at least.

Archived