Guttermouth!

T. Alan Smith

• Members

A comp in a T. Alan rig??? For some unknown reason that sounds like blasphemy!

;)

That's why I want something with character, as opposed to those units trying to be invisible. :) Usually, when I go to slap/pop, I roll the vol off a bit on my bass, but a comp would be much cooler if I want to change technique for just a section of a piece.

• Members

That's why I want something with character, as opposed to those units trying to be invisible.
:)
Usually, when I go to slap/pop, I roll the vol off a bit on my bass, but a comp would be much cooler if I want to change technique for just a section of a piece.

Maybe you guys can clear this up for me regarding compressors. I've heard a lot of talk about increased punch, tone changes, and other things on here when the subject of compressors comes up. My understanding was the point of a compressor was to even out signal levels, reduce spikes etc, and allow a more even level. How would that effect the punch or tone of a bass rig? I can see that by eliminating the higher spikes with an upper threshold you could run a higher power setting on your amps than before, is that what does it? I'm actually curious about this, and have never played around with a real compressor before...

• Members

Maybe you guys can clear this up for me regarding compressors. I've heard a lot of talk about increased punch, tone changes, and other things on here when the subject of compressors comes up. My understanding was the point of a compressor was to even out signal levels, reduce spikes etc, and allow a more even level. How would that effect the punch or tone of a bass rig? I can see that by eliminating the higher spikes with an upper threshold you could run a higher power setting on your amps than before, is that what does it? I'm actually curious about this, and have never played around with a real compressor before...

Been curious about that myself, but haven't gone out and purchased one to play with yet.

• Moderators

A transparent compressor functions to moderate the signal voltage fluctuations. For example, in a 4:1 setting, an 8 unit increase in input voltage will only cause a 2 unit increase in output voltage.

However, in addition to "ratio" (described above) compressors often include controls for "threshold" (the voltage level at which the effect starts taking place), "attack" (the time it takes for the effect to kick in after the threshold has been exceeded) and "release" (the time it takes for the effect to kick off after the threshold has been passed on the way down). Varying these settings can create pumping and breathing effects where the compressor is grabbing and letting go of your signal as is changes dynamically.

As to punch, it is the same way that modern pop music is being effected (used intentionally) by compressors. The dynamics are minimized to allow the overall signal level to be increased.

A compressor that affects tone (frequency response) is generally not well designed.

These are just the basics, but it should give you an idea of how this stuff works.

• Members

Thanks. So, will a good compressor also affect the low voltage side of the signal? That is, I can see how it can limit the higher voltages, but for a note thats very weak, will they also increase the voltage signal to a set floor level? Is that whats called an expander?

• Moderators

If the threshold is set to effect even your quietest notes, the effect is that all of your notes will be squashed and you can increase the volume of your entire rig.

An expander can work the opposite of a compressor, but you don't see those much.

• Members

If the threshold is set to effect even your quietest notes, the effect is that all of your notes will be squashed and you can increase the volume of your entire rig.

An expander can work the opposite of a compressor, but you don't see those much.

Ok, so setting the threshold basically narrows down your dynamic range by upping the weak notes and reducing the strong notes, and then the other controls affect how it does it's thing once either threshold is crossed... Is that right?

Actually re-reading your post I misunderstood. You mean that if I turn the threshold up so far that it even my weakest notes, as well as everything stronger are effected then the sound is squashed. Not that the comp brings up the level of the weak notes...

• Members

Which is the opposite of what he wants... :poke:

I meant as far as frequency range. I have yet to hear a T-Rex product that loses the low end.

It uses a tube in the compression circuit, so you can really get it to warm up the output tone, and make strengthened notes feel more organic and not just boosted.

• Members

Ok, so setting the threshold basically narrows down your dynamic range by upping the weak notes and reducing the strong notes, and then the other controls affect how it does it's thing once either threshold is crossed... Is that right?

Actually re-reading your post I misunderstood. You mean that if I turn the threshold up so far that it even my weakest notes, as well as everything stronger are effected then the sound is squashed. Not that the comp brings up the level of the weak notes...

Weaker notes are perceived stronger due to the limited range of the stronger notes. Makeup gain can then be applied to the signal for more overall volume.

• Members

Weaker notes are perceived stronger due to the limited range of the stronger notes. Makeup gain can then be applied to the signal for more overall volume.

I think I got it. It seems that it would be a real art to manipulating all the various controls to get an even signal level, but still sound like natural fingerstyle bass playing.

• Members

Way back when, I tried running my bass through a dbx home stereo compressor to see if it would stretch out the sustain. It did some and also made it noisier by boosting the gain. What I din't expect was that it had more PUNCH.

What I think was happening was there is a short delay before the compressor kicks in. So the beginning of the note is full level, then it gets squashed down, then as the note fades out the gain goes up again. So that initial thump sounds thumpier.

I thought I had really invented something. Found out later that people use comressors on instruments all the time.

• Members

Any interest in building a bass comp? ...something with character, w/o too much low end loss would be cool.

the answer would be: yes i would be interested. the reality is :i probably couldn't get started on it for a long while if i had to do it from scratch.

btw, i've been itching to build and tweak one of these :

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/5knobcompressor.html

it's a ross clone with a mix control. i haven't heard one but the concept sounds like a winner.

• Members

I meant as far as frequency range. I have yet to hear a T-Rex product that loses the low end.

It uses a tube in the compression circuit, so you can really get it to warm up the output tone, and make strengthened notes feel more organic and not just boosted.

I'll check it out, thanks. :)

Archived