Anyone use Schroeder cabs?

seraphim7s

• Members

Nope...but I'm very tempted as well. I want to try out a few of them...the 21012, the 410, regular and light of both. If I can get one standalone cab that can handle what both of my cabs do...I'm all over it. If I can get it to weigh like 60 lbs in the process...{censored} yeah!

RSB has owned a few...

• Members

Well, the 1212 cab is rated at a quite astonishing 800W and with a sensitvity rating of 103dB and weighing only 42 lbs (!!!) for the NEO version, this, I would hope, could take the place of my much bulkier 4x10.

I've heard it has a mid hump which is FINE with me, as I always push the mids on my Ashdown rig and cause them to distort.

I like a cab to be able to reproduce the warm lows but not be boomy at all ... I've never played through 12s before but I hope they respond quickly unlike some 15s I've played through.

What's the tonal diff between the normal drivers and the neo drivers, does anyone know?

• Members

I have a 1212R as my only cab. I pair it with either a GBE600 or Neo-pak. To my ears, it kills.

Most of the schroeder cabs do have a mid-range hump. It is most prevalent in the single 12 cabs but it is definitely present in my 1212, which like you if fine with me. What I like most about the 1212 is the deep lows without getting boomy. I wouldn't say they are super punchy, but they certainly cut through the mix. It also helps to have 1212 configuration in a box the size of most 210's.

• Members

I had a 21012 at one point. Its an awesome cab. Kinda on the heavy side (it was a regular) but it handled every bit of the 1000watts that my ampeg(again, at that time) was feeding it. Awesome stand alone cab! I only sold it because I didn't have a car, and well............priority won over popularity... but I definently will get another one.....

• Members

I've got a Mini 12R (I didn't think 5 pds was a huge weight difference for me) with the new Rhino lining on it. It runs the 325w of my EA amp really easily. Combine that mid hump of the Schro with the clean/sterile sound of the EA and it really sits well in the theatre setting at low volumes, without having to use a DI at all. The sound guys I've worked with love the combination.

• Members

I have a 1212R. Love it, absolutely love it.

Its a 58LB single cab solution loud enough for most venues that are not huge. It cuts thru like nobody's business and doesnt have ultra-lows... which I find is wasted energy anyway.

They truly have a unique voice though. Not for everyone.

• Members

I regularly use a 410 and a 1212 (the regular ones), and I like the 1212 the best as it is less heavy. We're just now switching to IEM's, so I'm going to go with only the 1212 since I won't have to fight the band anymore. The off-axis speaker adds a great deal of near field sound, at least I think that's why it has such great stage presence. And my drummer loves the cabs as he can hear me easily. I'm using an Eden 800 pushing 400 watts into each cab, and they are plenty loud. Even on huge stages. My ONLY complaint about the cab is that the attenuation knob for the tweeter sticks out beyond the "cup" or "saucer" for connections, so you have to watch how you load the cabs in order to prevent breaking the knob or bending the shaft. And you need to check the saucers every so often to make sure the screws are all tight for the speakon jacks.

• Members

I have the 1210R and love it. It replaced my SWR Goliath III 4x10 quite nicely, just as loud, sounds better but more so, much more portable, the main reason I bought it. If I didn't have to carry my cab I'm sure I would find a 4x10 or 2 4x10's stack that I would like better, but it's perfect for what I do and have to carry today.

• Members
To the guys that own them...does anyone use it for hard rock/metal/whathaveyou? How does is sound?

We play loud 70's and 80's guitar rock and my 1210 sounds great. Cuts through like no tomorrow which is one reason I like it. I never have a problem hearing myself.

• Members

They're just great for live usage. I probably wouldn't buy a 2-driver design again, as their medium/big boxes in the "L" version are not overly big or heavy.

I've had 2x 1210R's and a 410R and tested out a 210212L.

The 1210R's really do give enough volume of a 410/comparable sized cab.

The 410R was my fave of the 3. It was broken in, and took lows pretty darned well. I'd probably buy one of these again or two of 'em if I ever got rid of my Mesas.

The 210212L was aight, but had severe cutoff (compared to the El Whappo I had at the time) when you got loud on the B string. Granted it needed some wear-in time, but I play a lot on my B and it wasn't cutting it.

I've heard the 21012R's are their best designs, which is why you don't see as many for sale.

However, I'd love to check out the 215's, except for that 50hz rolloff, and from experience I know what their 40hz rolloff sounds like, so I'd be iffy for playing my same styles.

They don't sound utterly amazing in your room, but live and on the gig, I've really yet to find much better. I'd go for the 410R or 21012R.

Archived