Shipping a bass from the US to the UK for dummies

justinbass

• Moderators

USPS International Priority for about $130. You need a box that is less than 108" based on their measurements (length + girth?). I spent an hour at the post office last night trying to get out a box that is 114".

For comparison, the rate FedEx quoted me last night (to Wales) was $450.

• Members

Yep, USPS is the only fiscally sound choice. Everything else was about double. I checked it out on the Quantum fretless Robin is getting, and it was around the $185-200 mark IIRC.

FedEx was $350 and didn't bother w/ UPS...

+ teh 0ne.

All the others were two or three times as expensive.

• Members

Really?! This surprises me.

The last time I tried to ship a bass USPS they wouldn't even accept it because it was too big. She said it would be considered a massive package and it would cost about $350 to ship it... This was regular domestic ground shipping too!!

• Members

Yep, USPS is probably the best option for this. If it's a bolton-bass, take the neck off and get as small a box as possible. The L2500 Kindness sendt me that way arrived safely in just a week, but I'm not sure exactly what the shipping fee was. Probably around the $100-mark.

• Members

Really?! This surprises me.

The last time I tried to ship a bass USPS they wouldn't even accept it because it was too big. She said it would be considered a massive package and it would cost about $350 to ship it... This was regular domestic ground shipping too!!

There is an exception to the USPS rules that even most USPS-employees don't know about. It applies to most European countries. Check out this link under 'exceptional size limits':

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc2_016.htm

Archived