Let the building begin!

mlwarriner

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:cry:

Just went through this with the GK MB150S I got for a song.

The friend who fixed the amp found 2 of the speaker mounting holes stripped, and several others nearly so. From the factory, they were just drilled and tapped into the 1/8" aluminum. The speaker was mounted from the front, with only machine screws into the aluminum plate. Schleppin' and rockin' had taken their toll.

So he clocked the driver 20 degrees, drilled and tapped new holes, and then ran machine screws through the holes from the back side, with loc-tite, and then mounted the speaker from the front with washers and nuts.

Man, it sounds tight!

SOME kind of T-bolt or bolt/nut setup is preferrable. My guess is that's why they cringed.

• Members

It looks great, but the OCD in me is twitching at how all of the mounting screws for the drivers are not lined up symmetrically. :cop:

If I did it I would have wired the quads vertically in rows of 4 to keep it all neat and easier to locate/troubleshoot, with the last 4 filling the bottom-most 4 holes.

But I fully admit to my neuroticisms. I'm a symmetry freak, don't take my opinion personally.

• Members
It looks great, but the OCD in me is twitching at how all of the mounting screws for the drivers are not lined up symmetrically.
:cop:

If I did it I would have wired the quads vertically in rows of 4 to keep it all neat and easier to locate/troubleshoot, with the last 4 filling the bottom-most 4 holes.

+1 and +1

• Members

meh. it happened like it happened. if i wanted to unsolder one driver, i could use your idea (inverted) but it really doesn't matter that much to me. YMMV.

• Members

Right. It is the difference between making something that works well in new condition and making something that works well for decades.

I'm built countless sub boxes for cars and never once used T-nuts. #6 coarse thread screws with a pilot hole and a drop of glue work amazingly well.

Given the tight quarters for these speakers, using T-nuts would make a difficult task an outright pain in the ass.

• Members

the problem with that is that, while burdi did an awesome job on the cab, the driver holes are not perfectly round. i've had to adjust screw hole placement to get the screws into good wood...

I had a feeling that would happen. That's the drawback of me building the cab without the speakers on hand. I cut the speaker holes a bit over sized to ensure that they would drop in and give you some mounting wiggle room.

• Members

I'm built countless sub boxes for cars and never once used T-nuts. #6 coarse thread screws with a pilot hole and a drop of glue work amazingly well.

Given the tight quarters for these speakers, using T-nuts would make a difficult task an outright pain in the ass.

Very true. Nothing wrong with just wood screws at all. Done it enough myself.

• Members

glue?

:(

• Moderators

I spent last night repairing a pair of speakers made in 1965. If they would have been glued into the baffle board I would have been swearing at them a lot more than I was. :thu:

• Members

I spent last night repairing a pair of speakers made in 1965. If they would have been glued into the baffle board I would have been swearing at them a lot more than I was.
:thu:

Uh no, glue in the pilot hole. It helps to lock the screw in place and it shatters when you put a screwdriver on it after it sets.

• Moderators

Uh no, glue in the pilot hole. It helps to lock the screw in place and it shatters when you put a screwdriver on it after it sets.

Remounting the speakers after pulling them off the baffle was made significantly easier thanks to the mounting bolts and nuts. I'm not saying the concept of screwing them in isn't fine, it just isn't my optimal choice.

• Members

Remounting the speakers after pulling them off the baffle was made significantly easier thanks to the mounting bolts and nuts. I'm not saying the concept of screwing them in isn't fine, it just isn't my optimal choice.

I agree, but since MLW must put 64 screws in that baffle, he wouldn't get to hear the cab until Memorial Day if he attempted to use T-nuts. ;)

On my upcoming 2x18 PA sub cab, I will be using either #10 or 1/4 bolts with t-nuts and lock washers.

• Members

something else burdi - and i'm not trying to be an ass, but if you/we are going to do more of these cabs with these itty bitty drivers, one of us ought to look into a hole saw. i think making the driver holes perfectly round would be much easier that way, and then i'd be able to perfectly align the screw holes for each driver...

:D:D

• Members

im sorry for being a lil out of the topic but what kind of drivers are you using? where did you get them?

i am planing to make a really small cab and these spakers seem perfect

thanks

dayton audio 5" aluminum cones from partsexpress.com

Archived