Band Taxes/1099 Question

Thunderbroom

• Members

Quick question:

Our band is an LLP (I think but am fairly certain). We are being issued 1099's from our drummer who handles the money. One of our band members was let go but received taxable income over the entire taxable year. He refuses to provide his SSN for the issuance of a 1099.

What are our options?

• Members
Quick question:

Our band is an LLP (I think but am fairly certain). We are being issued 1099's from our drummer who handles the money. One of our band members was let go but received taxable income over the entire taxable year. He refuses to provide his SSN for the issuance of a 1099.

What are our options?

That needed to be done up front. He would have done it if it was tied to getting paid.

• Members

As far as I know (and I definitely could be wrong), but shouldn't these things have been issued before February 1, along with all of the usual tax papers? I only bring that up because the last time I was in a band that issued 1099s, the band leader got them to me in late March, and I had already filed my taxes/gotten my returns.

As far as your guitarist not complying, that sucks. I don't know if you can contact his wife and get it out of her?

• Members

As far as I know (and I definitely could be wrong), but shouldn't these things have been issued before February 1, along with all of the usual tax papers? I only bring that up because the last time I was in a band that issued 1099s, the band leader got them to me in late March, and I had already filed my taxes/gotten my returns.

As far as your guitarist not complying, that sucks. I don't know if you can contact his wife and get it out of her?

Why February 1? Is this some tax law?

:confused:

Regardless, we've not had to deal with 1099's until this year.

• Members

Quick question:

What are our options?

Did you I-9 him when he joined the band? You don't have to, but going forward I would definitely do so.

• Members

Why February 1? Is this some tax law?

:confused:

Regardless, we've not had to deal with 1099's until this year.

Yes. According to my wife (who pulled it off the IRS site, and also who deals with this on a regular basis at work), you are required to mail 1099s to the person in question by January 31, and send copy B to the IRS by the end of February. You may be out of luck this year. And, if you file those now, you may run the risk of incurring late fees.

• Members

Yes. According to my wife (who pulled it off the IRS site, and also who deals with this on a regular basis at work), you are required to mail 1099s to the person in question by January 31, and send copy B to the IRS by the end of February. You may be out of luck this year. And, if you file those now, you may run the risk of incurring late fees.

On the other hand, the IRS would get at least the name of the former band member and a narrower geographical area in which to start looking.

The only question is, on what terms did s/he depart? :D

• Members

Depends. They may make an exemption if he refused his information. That's how i'd play it since it's the truth.

Archived