This is why I don't deal with Guitard Center....

Rootdogg

• Members

I seriously, do not like dealing with them, for anything.

I just sent their customer service department this freakin' essay.....

Do you guys think I am justified in asking for some compensation for the trouble?

Hello Guitar Center.

My name is Brandon Root. I am a working bass player from Rochester NY. Two years ago I purchased and Ernie Ball Stingray 5, used, over ebay. After two years of use and constant adjustments to the neck and truss rod, my bass tech determined that the neck was "green". Not properly cured, or just bad wood in general. I emailed Ernie Ball, AJ Braman to be exact, and talked to him about acquiring a replacement neck. He advised me to go to Guitar Center and place the order through the service department there. The staff at your store advised me to bring bass in to have it inspected, then brought it home again, removed the neck, and brought it back in to have it shipped out. I was taken care of by a guy by the name of Gregory Benz, who since does not work at the Henrietta store any longer. I also placed an order for a replacement 9v battery pack for the active electronics because mine is having connection problems, which he kept forgetting to add to the order. I think I had to remind him about 3 or 4 times to include that item along with the neck. Gregory told me that the neck would be shipped out, stamped with the correct serial number, then returned to Guitar Center in 4 to 6 weeks, at the time which I would receive a call that it had arrived. He told me the replacement neck would be $175 plus tax and I could pay when it arrived at the store. I left pretty satisfied, but somewhat aprehensive. I'm sorry to say, but I have never had a good opinion of the customer service at your stores. More often than not, I feel like each person I talk to at GC is some little kid half my age that is just working a part time job and really doesn't care about the customer, looks down upon me as a knowledgeable musician, and just wants to sell me something off the racks rather than help me out, answer questions, etc. I don't want to sound entirely negative. I like your store, the gear is nice, and the prices are quite reasonable. However, in personal experience, and testimony from other musicians from sources such as Harmony Central Bass Forum, the customer service is lacking.

I looked at the calendar last night and got my repair work order out for the bass neck to check the date. It has been exactly 5 weeks from the date I brought the neck in, which was February 29. I decided to make a call to GC just to make sure the order was still in process and to see if perhaps it was in the store or any new information was available. I spoke to approximately 5 sales and service associates, gave them my RO number, my name, etc., and none of them could even find the order in your system. One associate claimed, "no bro, your order doesn't exist". So the last person I talked to suggested that I call the "Ops"(?) manager, Ed, who would be in-store the next morning. I called Ed this morning, and he was much nicer and more helpful than anyone I had talked to previously. He also seemed to be a little older, wiser, and more concerned with helping me out. He informed me that the order was in the system, which is good, but he was not sure where the neck was yet. Ed said he had to leave town for a meeting in New Jersey, so he said he would call Ernie Ball, then have one of his associates call me later in the day when EB called them back.

I was called back sometime in the afternoon, I forgot the name of the guy who called. He informed me that the neck was not shipped back yet, and that I needed to come into the store and pay $210, now up from the first quote of $175, before the neck would be shipped to GC. I asked if the battery pack was in the order, and of course, it was not. This is a battery pack, how hard is it to get one of these?! How many times do I have to ask? Also, after paying for the neck, I was told it would take another 2+ weeks for the neck to arrive at GC.

Now, this means that it is going to cost me $45 more than I was originally quoted, and take potentially 3+ weeks longer than I had expected to get my instrument back in working order...and that is without mentioning being able to replace my failing battery pack because no one seems to want to order this for me.

I have a back up bass, a good one, but I am a working musician who has no tools right now. My primary bass is sitting in my living room with no neck, where it will continue to sit for another month in it's current state. I have shows and studio sessions coming up, and this is now a serious issue for me. I was planning on having my bass reassembled by next week at the latest, and now I am looking at another month without it.

I would like to be compensated, please. This is costing me time, and money. I am putting off projects because I don't have the right piece of equipment. I will continue investing in your business if I see that you will be willing to help. Otherwise, I will no longer set foot in a GC. Please do the right thing and show me some customer service.

Thank you, with respect...

Brandon Root

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a back up bass, a good one, but I am a working musician who has no tools right now

this part is a bit confusing.

i feel for you but i have run into these types of problems before and haven't been compensated. i had one store tell me that if i had bought the gear from them and had the receipt to prove it, they would give me a loaner. unfortunately, i didn't have the receipt.

• Members

interesting - especially the first part. when i had a problem with my SR5, i called EB and spoke with customer service. i paid shipping to have it sent to them; they called me two days later with a diagnosis of the problem, fixed it without labour charges, and shipped it back to me within 9 days. i paid for parts and the shipping to them. i found their customer service to be so incredibly bend-over-backwards helpful that i think i even wrote a thread about it a few years back!

point being: maybe consider calling them back and seeing if there's another option?

ps not to derail; i empathize with your frustration with GC.

• Members

interesting - especially the first part. when i had a problem with my SR5, i called EB and spoke with customer service. i paid shipping to have it sent to them; they called me two days later with a diagnosis of the problem, fixed it without labour charges, and shipped it back to me within 9 days. i paid for parts and the shipping to them. i found their customer service to be so incredibly bend-over-backwards helpful that i think i even wrote a thread about it a few years back!

point being: maybe consider calling them back and seeing if there's another option?

ps not to derail; i empathize with your frustration with GC.

I already went that route. The neck directly from EB was going to be $400. If you go through GC it's much cheaper.

• Members

I already went that route. The neck directly from EB was going to be $400. If you go through GC it's much cheaper.

Have you called EB back to let them know what's going on? Many times, the manufacturer will "make some suggestions" to the retailer in the interest of customer sat. At a minimum, I'd expect GC to honor the $175 price quote.

• Moderators

Have you called EB back to let them know what's going on? Many times, the manufacturer will "make some suggestions" to the retailer in the interest of customer sat. At a minimum, I'd expect GC to honor the $175 price quote.

That is the path I would suggest as well.

• Members

Seems reasonable. The problem with GC is that you have to walk in there and act like a complete idiot to get any help. If I try to explain something to a sales person they assume I know what I need and walk away. I have to act like I know nothing to get ANY help. One time a guy said he couldn't help me because he had a head ache. I hope you get this all fixed right. Ask for the original price and a few packs of strings or something. It's ridiculous that a good company like Ernie Ball gets made look bad by a {censored} company like GC.

• Moderators

I would call EB back, but I don't think it would get me back to my original quote, or save any time.
:freak:

I would call EB, explain that they directed you to GC the first time, but you are getting the runaround from GC and was hoping the EB representative could help you make sure your order was being processed correctly. If you can get EB to call your GC on your behalf, you should get better service.

Also, this is a great question to post on the EB forums.

• Members

That sucks about the green neck. That's a rare issue, especially from a quality bass like a Music Man.

Ya know, I'm not really sure it was the neck's poor quality out of the gates or not. The bass had a previous owner, it was made in '95, and the pole pieces have some oxidation on them, which in most cases is natural, but can suggest the bass was kept in a somewhat humid environment.

Nonetheless, a properly cured and finished piece of wood shouldn't take on water to an extent that it twists and warps constantly and needs adjustment once or twice a month.

• Members

I would call EB, explain that they directed you to GC the first time, but you are getting the runaround from GC and was hoping the EB representative could help you make sure your order was being processed correctly. If you can get EB to call your GC on your behalf, you should get better service.

Also, this is a great question to post on the EB forums.

Thanks Kindness. I will definetly consider that! I'm going to wait and see what GC has to say about it, then I will go to EB if I am not satisfied by their response.

:)

• Members

Thanks Kindness. I will definetly consider that! I'm going to wait and see what GC has to say about it, then I will go to EB if I am not satisfied by their response.

If you don't get a satisfactory response tomorrow, call EB immediately. EB has zero interest in both having you not playing one their basses and having the people who sell their product conducting themselves in the way that GC's has. The time to be passive has passed. And again, at a minimum, I would require GC to honor their original quote.

• Members

There is a very limited amount of reasons that I still go to Guitar Center:

It's the biggest store in the area (i.e., bigger selection)

It's just as close as any other reasonably stocked music store.

I can walk in, offer them 10-25% less than the price tag, and generally walk out of the store with a purchase. (Or I can at LEAST get some free accessories.... if not both)

That, and if MF has a closeout, I can go there and order it for the same cost.

Other than that, dont get me started on the horror stories that I have personally experienced or heard of at Guitard Center.... it's a joke.

• Members

I agree with those who suggest going back to EB. Tell them a bunch of your pals at the Musicians Friend website said to call them directly. Also, get to know the main manager at GC and try to deal directly with him. Dealing with flunkies gets you nowhere.

At the end of the day, though, GC is usually the best place to actually see and play decent quality equipment (and also Warwicks), so you gotta deal with 'em.

• Members

You should order a Status neck and tell them to go to hell. I've never had a wood necked bass that didn't need a trussing every month or two. :p

Status makes a solid MM neck and wouldn't cost much more than the cost of a direct neck from EB.

Regarding GC support -- it does suck, but I'm glad it does. Gives smaller shops a chance.

• Members

:)

Hopefully you've learned your lesson about places like GC, Root. The best thing you can do is start a relationship with one of the local music stores. Sure, stuff might be slightly more expensive, but if something craps out on you, your local independent will make sure you have something to use at the gig while your whatever is being fixed. At least that's what mine did for me. The service will also be a lot better and the help smarter, and you'll probably make some new friends and/or connections. Good luck with it.

• Members

EB customer service is amazing. I would certainly call them and explain your problem. It's not going to save you any time, but at the very least you should be able to only pay the $175 you were quoted in the first place.

I would be very worried getting a replacement neck through GC in the first place. Especially since a neck is a very personal part of the instrument. What if you get it, and it's not up to par with your old neck? I'm not saying EB sends GC {censored} necks or anything, but I'd be curious. I have yet to run into a really nice Stingray at a GC...they are usually in the smaller mom & pop stores for some reason.

Were there other options as far as stores to go through other than GC? Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect any type of compensation from them. Sorry to hear about your troubles...

• Members

I am not surprised. There have been several times when I've called GC and asked them about a particular piece of gear and they took my name and number and said that they'd call me back. The only time I got a callback was recently from one rep at the Jacksonville location named "Luke" who was actually helpful. Most of the time I find their knowledge to be highly lacking. If they can't do something as simple as returning a call, I am not surprised that they screwed something as big as this up.

I find that the folks at GC generally want to be helpful, but many lack the knowledge to do so...

Meanwhile, like way2fat suggested, my local store has loaned me an entire rig before when I needed it because I was having issues with my own rig.

• Members

One time a guy said he couldn't help me because he had a head ache.

I went to get my hair cut yesterday and when I told the woman how I'd like it, I was told that she couldn't do that because "her thumb was hurting her" and that she'd have to do it a different way. Yeah, no.

Don't think that responses like yours are limited to just Guitar Center's minions.

• Members

I went to get my hair cut yesterday and when I told the woman how I'd like it, I was told that she couldn't do that because "her thumb was hurting her" and that she'd have to do it a different way. Yeah, no.

Don't think that responses like yours are limited to just Guitar Center's minions.

What the hell?

At least she told you. My last haircut didn't go well. I wanted a specific style, and even pointed to a coworker at the salon that had a similar style that I was after. I told her I want his cut, but tweaked like....

She said no problem and with the first snip it was obvious she had NO idea what she was doing, it was too short by about 4 inches to even be close. It was SO short I could do little more than sit back and wait till it was done, it was not savable by any stretch.

Archived