Help with my SX Bass?

Cheese Grits

• Members

Quick question.

I have an SX J bass, which is a really nice piece of wood, but which was not set up so well. I think the nut is "cut" incorrectly, for starters. (Actually, I think it is molded plastic, so it probably wasn't cut at all.) I don't have a lot of time to mess with it. I'd rather just take it to a pro to have a new nut cut and to have the neck and bridge set up.

Questions:

For a typical rock/pop sound, what kind of nut should I look for? Graphite? Bone? Something else?

What is a reasonable price to pay for a set up in a mid-major city (like Atlanta, for example)?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

• Members

before you assume the nut is incorrect i would take a look at adjusting the bridge and possibly the neck first.

are you getting a lot of fret buzzing or is the action too high?

Lots and lots of fret buzz. The slots in the nut are really deep, and I think that the problem is partially there. Even if not, the bass would certainly not be hurt by a better nut.

• Members

Well being an Atlanta resident, the going rate I pay for a set up (if I'm not doing it myself) is around $40, I have no idea how much having a new nut cut would cost however, I'm looking for a new one as well.

Sweet. You're are from the ATL also! I'm always glad to meet another local. :)

Where do you normally have your basses set up? I need to take mine in for a professional opinion, and I want to make sure that the person is going to shoot straight with me about whether the bass is worth spending money on.

• Moderators

Lots and lots of fret buzz. The slots in the nut are really deep, and I think that the problem is partially there. Even if not, the bass would certainly not be hurt by a better nut.

Having worked on a significant number of SX basses I can tell you that if you are going to go to the extent of refining the bass by cutting a proper nut (which for the most part only affects the the open and first few positions), you will also need to level and crown the frets, otherwise you will continue to run into the same buzzing along the length of the neck. My general rule is SX basses are worth the price paid if you or someone you know can do the work for you without paying for labor.

I prefer bone as my nut material because it is easy to work and does not stand out as sounding much different from the fretted notes. While nut material does make some tonal difference, I tend to think the material's contribution is generally exaggerated.

• Members

are you mainly a guitar player? if so its pretty natural to have some fret buzzing when you first start playing the bass.

the neck may not have the proper relief set and or the strings may need to be raised up a bit at the bridge. you can do this on your own if you are a hands on type of person or want to start learning. an SX is the perfect instrument to learn how to wrench on a bass with. no offense, i own one myself, but its not like you are going to snap a truss rod on a $4000 warwick bass or anything.

• Members

Having worked on a significant number of SX basses I can tell you that if you are going to go to the extent of refining the bass by cutting a proper nut (which for the most part only affects the the open and first few positions), you will also need to level and crown the frets, otherwise you will continue to run into the same buzzing along the length of the neck. My general rule is SX basses are worth the price paid if you or someone you know can do the work for you without paying for labor.

I prefer bone as my nut material because it is easy to work and does not stand out as sounding much different from the fretted notes. While nut material does make some tonal difference, I tend to think the material's contribution is generally exaggerated.

+1 (of course):D

I want an SX so I can learn to replace the nut and electronics. I already have the nut files. I just don't have the spare cash right now for another bass:D

Dan

• Members

are you mainly a guitar player? if so its pretty natural to have some fret buzzing when you first start playing the bass.

the neck may not have the proper relief set and or the strings may need to be raised up a bit at the bridge. you can do this on your own if you are a hands on type of person or want to start learning. an SX is the perfect instrument to learn how to wrench on a bass with. no offense, i own one myself, but its not like you are going to snap a truss rod on a $4000 warwick bass or anything.

No offense taken. I am mainly a guitar player, but this bass has issues. If there is a convenient guide to setting up a bass online somewhere, I would not mind trying to tackle this job myself. I'm not concerned about damaging the instrument, mostly because I would be pretty careful. Also, it could certainly be replaced. :)

• Members

Well, I may try to set the bridge height and neck relief first, just to see where I am.

If I need a nut, I'm inclined to use bone as well, but mostly because they sound so nice on acoustic guitars. Of course, that's not a real reason, so thanks for your perspective.

• Members

No offense taken. I am mainly a guitar player, but this bass has issues. If there is a convenient guide to setting up a bass online somewhere, I would not mind trying to tackle this job myself. I'm not concerned about damaging the instrument, mostly because I would be pretty careful. Also, it could certainly be replaced.
:)

Kindness here wrote a great thread on setups IIRC.

• Members

About 20 years ago I took a night school course and built an acoustic guitar from scratch. Starting from slabs of wood and going from there.

The thing that really brings back memories is filing the camel bone nut....what a stink! I've heard the animal stinks but even the bones smell awful. Has anyone else smelled stinky bones while filing nuts? ......Wow, that didn't sound right.:confused:

• Members

+1 (of course)
:D

I want an SX so I can learn to replace the nut and electronics. I already have the nut files. I just don't have the spare cash right now for another bass:D

Dan

I have a SX SPB-57 and a SPJ75 that I am looking to dump

what you you want to spend?

Shipping to oregon is gonna suck though

PM me if interested...

• Members

sounds to me like it just needs to be tweeked.

Nothing comes out of a box and is set up to the way you feel comfortable.

My Ric needed and adjustment too.

as far as the nut....Gibson uses plastic nuts too. not to say its as cheap as the SX's But there should not be a plastic nut on a Les Paul

• Moderators

as far as the nut....Gibson uses plastic nuts too. not to say its as cheap as the SX's But there should not be a plastic nut on a Les Paul

Plastic isn't the best material, but it's not the worst thing for a bass. The molding or cutting is more important than the material. Ideally both the material and the workmanship are top notch. As to Gibson specifically, there are a ton of things they are doing wrong. The basic product is still a classic, but out of the box they need some help reaching their potential.

• Members

I hope your kidding, you know what he meant, as off as it sounds.

Well, hell yeah I was kidding. In my time here I have NEVER reported anyone to a mod. I don't believe in censorship or slapping anyone's wrist for saying things I don't like. And I hang out on the Political forum!

Nah, I thought what he said was hilarious. I was just goosing him.

Come to think of it, that sounds pretty off too...

• Members

Thanks for all the help, guys. :)

I did some work on the bass last night, taking everything very slow, and trying not to make any drastic adjustments. I probably made slightly less than a half turn (looser) on the truss rod, and I raised the saddle for the E string a hair. This morning, after everything had time to settle in, the instrument was infinitely more usable. It's not perfect yet, but I was able to play it with a minimum of fret buzz. Eventually I'll get there.

Once I'm ready to change strings, I may consider replacing the nut and the bridge, but there seems to be no need to do anything right away.

Thanks for the push into wrenching on my own guitar. :cool:

Archived