Trace Elliot question

fretless

• Members

I'm usually pretty good figuring these things out , but this amp is not labeled nor does the manual say . So what do you think about the output of this amp ? It's a TE GP7SM 130 ( blx 130 ) pretty sure it was also a head version and used in a few combos . It's rated at 130 watts and has 2 speaker outs but nowhere can you find the impedance listed :confused: So before I pull a nOb move and burn it up at 4 ohms I thought it might be best to check with you guys first ;)

blx130.jpg

t01.jpg

it's hard to see but there isn't much just fan vents on the right

t03.jpg

I'm loving this amp btw , it has massive balls , and weights a ton but pumps big time and the tweeter makes all the difference for this freak cab but one other thing I ran into is the Horn tweeter had a cracked frame it's vintage :mad: and just disintegrated , seemed like bakelite or some crap and damn if it wasn't tough to locate a Fostex horn , in fact I couldn't , long out of production , so the only thing that fits in the exact same footprint is

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-532

I hook that up today , so we'll see . ;)

• Members

Umm.... it says 8ohms right there. *points*

:lol:

There are two 8ohm speaker outputs with one being used by the internal speaker. So, I guess its running at 8ohms at the moment, with the two used it would be 4ohms. So you can only hook up another 8ohm cab with it.

• Members

Fretless......

Look what I found!
:D

http://www.trace-elliot.co.uk/support_3.php?flag=IE&lan=UK

Scroll down to discontinued products and you'll see a manual for your amp!
:thu:

It doesn't say anything about output though.

Thanks Dude , but that's what I'm saying the F'n manual kinda leaves out an important spec. , Is it a parallel speaker jack or series or wtf .

• Members

Maybe you could ring Peavey / Trace Elliot and ask? They seem to have manuals and stuff from the old amps so maybe you might be able to find out more info?

hmm.. Good idea , but we already saw the manual , but I'll try it . ;)

• Members

80 W @ 8 ohms.

130 W @ 4 ohms.

Internal speaker is 8 ohms.

I have no source, this is just from the top of my head.

you would think but it's darn powerful so it seemed to be more than just 80watts with only the internal speaker , but you may be right , I should hook another cab to it and see what happens .

• Members

yeah it pumps for a tiny cab but the thing is it really needs the tweeter which TE did not do on the first few models and they were very muffled will little highs = at high volume muddy/boxy with lack of clarity, so with tweeter , pretty much problem solved . May not quite touch your powered 15 but it's surprising . A few other little cabs that have caught my interest that have different designs are the FliteSound ( down firing) 103W , the little Mesa walkabout downfiring "passive radiator" and the Old Amped SVT2x12 and 2 15 with rear firing speaker , remember those ? but anyway this oddity with the tweeter makes a damn fine little rig and it has this great rock tone and big solid lows , really solid :cool:

Archived