London Forumites: What should I see?

Phantasm

• Members

Well, I'm going to be in London this weekend and there for a few days until I meet up with Jazz Ad in Paris. I do see a few things I'd like to do, but I thought I would ask here for suggestions from those who know the area.

We're going to be staying at a hotel near Big Ben. My wife has suggested I look for a bass shop (Bass Centre?) and maybe some music-related sights to see while I'm there, plus we will want to see the usual sights for someone who's never been out of the United States.

So what do you all suggest? :)

• Members

There's plenty of stuff to do in London, I take it you're mostly interested in classic touristy things, correct? In that case, a visit to the Tate Modern (right near you) is good, and try to get to the Natural History Museum as well, that place is amazing (and free!)

• Members

try to get to the Natural History Museum as well, that place is amazing (and free!)

+1 on that bad boy. Thats a whole day worth of museumy goodness there. The architecture of the main entrance is worth seeing alone.

If you want bass/guitar stuff then hit up Denmark Street near Tottenham Court Road.

Spitalfield Markets can be a lot of fun if youre in the city over the weekend.

For events, places to eat, all things like that pick up either the weekely edition or a general Time Out magazine. That will give you lists of things going on that week, reviews of bars/clubs/resturants etc.

Hope you enjoy the big smoke!

• Members

Well that's the thing. Each of the 3 cities you plan to visit is worth a couple week wisit at least. More like a couple months for London and Paris actually.

It's gonna be hard to choose where you want to go.

I know... it's going to be hard to fit as much as we can in.

I was looking at Paris from the air on Google Maps and there were lots of interesting looking things, so many that I just know that I won't see them all.

• Members

Go on the London Eye, you'll get a better idea of where everything is in relation to everything else, as it were. London can be a collection of little places connected only by the tube if you're not careful, so it's nice to get that overview.

I'll second Tate Modern and the Natural History Museum. Tower of London also worth doing if you like your history.

As for the more obscure/alternative stuff, if you like quirky shops, market stalls and lots of second-hand vinyl, take a wander up Portobello Road in Notting Hill. You can even pose outside "Hugh Grant"'s travel bookshop and/or front door if that's your thing; otherwise it's full of interesting stuff. Take a walk through Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park on your way back, too.

Pick up a local paper (there are various free ones battling it out, you can't miss them) to find listings for theatre, music etc. You've got top-quality musical theatre, "proper" theatre, opera, ballet etc all available if that's what you're after.

Hope that's helpful, anyway!

• Members

Many years ago when I was there, I enjoyed the British Museum... If you want to see rooms of crap stolen from all over the world. :) More Egyptian stuff than I have ever seen in one place! lots of history though...

And the London Hard Rock Cafe (back when they were still cool and not on every corner like a starbucks) :cool:

• Members

the London museums are free. the National Gallery, The National Portrait Gallery (around the corner) and the British Museum are well worth the time. as is the Tate. the Tate Modern is good if modern art is your thing.

the Tower is well worth a vist.

as is St Paul's Cathedral.

try to see a West End show - check out the Half Price Booth in Leicester Sq. - but not one of the big musicals (yuck). unless you can get tickets for Spamalot.

God of Carnage looks good - terrific cast.

get an Oyster card for the Tube. otherwise you're paying about 8 bucks American for each ride.

go to a pub. better yet, go to a bunch of pubs. and get a pint of real ale. you can't go to wrong if they have London Pride bitter.

go for a curry. i like the Punjab on Neal's Yard.

go to Westminster Abbey.

enjoy.

• Members

It sounds like the Tower of London is very popular with Westminster Abby very popular as well. The Natural Science Museam is another popular sight.

I do want to see the London Eye because I'm a big Doctor Who fan and they ALWAYS show that thing on the shows.

There's a Doctor Who exhibit at Earl's Court that I'm interested in (obviously!)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming!

• Members

go to a pub. better yet, go to a bunch of pubs. and get a pint of real ale. you can't go to wrong if they have London Pride bitter.

go for a curry. .

Curry, then pubs, then another curry. Now thats a good night out and about as Bristish as you can get with out starting a football related riot.

• Members

Last time i went i was in Notting hill's Portobello Road Market and found it to be quite nice...a lot of antic shops..and a calm environment.

I always travel to Camden market on sundays...love it...but if your a conservative bloke...you get nothing from it.

British museum is quite nice as well (and free)

• Members

St Paul's is great, plus if you make the climb to the top, you can get a view of the city without shelling out a bunch to ride the Eye...

Westminster Abbey is gorgeous, if you go, see if you can find a guide to the graffiti inside, much of it dates back centuries.

I actually like walking from St. Paul's up the Thames to Westminster, it's a pleasant walk (especially this time of year) and has always "felt like London" to me (for whatever that means). Its goes past King's College and Westminster obviously has the Abbey, Parliament, Buckingham Palace and St. James park are close. And you're staying in the Westminster Area, so it's easy to end the day there.

The Tower is crazy expensive, but it's also really cool. If you're into history, it's a can't miss.

Tate Modern and the Nat. History Museum are both great. The British Museum is amazing. Sutton Hoo burial, the Rosetta Stone (which is boring as piss, honestly), the Elgin Marbles (only way to see the whole Parthenon is to visit London and Athens), it's a collection you can spend days looking at.

Also, going to Hyde park and listening to the crazies at Speaker's corner is fun :D

Archived