Yay, horse racing kills yet another fine animal

Psilocybin

• Members

I guess this post seems somewhat hypocrytical comming from me, a person who hunts and generally kills a deer every year. Though I will say I have never shot a trophy animal and basically count on them as a source of food every year.

• Members

Sorry. I'm just being drunk and emo. My girlfriend is really into horse racing. So we made it a special day of finding a place to watch the derby.

The last, and only, major horse race I watched was the one Barbaro broke down in. So now I'm 2 for 2 in major horse races with horses breaking down.

The thing that makes me the most sad is how before the race it showed Eight Belles looking so happy at being led around the area. The horse really looked happy to be there.

• Members

It is too bad that such a strong, powerful animal is also so fragile....RIP fleet-footed fella.

It was a "she".

The jockey was trying to get her to slow down, said "she started galloping funny". Some sort of problem even before she fell, apparently.

• CMS Author

Sorry. I'm just being drunk and emo. My girlfriend is really into horse racing. So we made it a special day of finding a place to watch the derby.

The last, and only, major horse race I watched was the one Barbaro broke down in. So now I'm 2 for 2 in major horse races with horses breaking down.

The thing that makes me the most sad is how before the race it showed Eight Belles looking so happy at being led around the area. The horse really looked happy to be there.

She no doubt was. If it's any consolation, thoroughbred horses lead better lives than most humans, and she died doing what she loved.

• Members

I was wondering about that while watching today - missed the breaking feet though. I'll bet animals DO feel a sense of competition in sport. I don't think we give them enough credit.

Why are broken ankles fatal? One would think that there'd be a lot of {censored}ing dead hockey players out there if broken limbs meant euthanization.

• Members

That is sad. I love animals. It was always one of my dreams to own horses. Quite a financial commitment. The best my mother could swing was riding lessons for me. To be such powerful beasts, it is amazing at what can take a horse down. Makes me wonder if there was something on the track that tripped the philly up? The race horse breeds have very toothpick like legs (thus their speed ability), vs a cyldesdale (think bud beer wagon horses... big diff in leg shapes). At least she didn't suffer long.

• Members

Why are broken ankles fatal? One would think that there'd be a lot of {censored}ing dead hockey players out there if broken limbs meant euthanization.

Because of the horse's size. It will never heal to the point of being able to support its weight.

If it breaks a leg (like Barbaro), there's a chance the bone can heal and the horse will be okay to survive (but not to carry a rider or run), but there are all kinds of problems that can arise (like laminitis, in the case of Barbaro)...

• Members

Because of the horse's size. It will never heal to the point of being able to support its weight.

If it breaks a leg (like Barbaro), there's a chance the bone can heal and the horse will be okay to survive (but not to carry a rider or run), but there are all kinds of problems that can arise (like laminitis, in the case of Barbaro)...

That's just plain sad. So the bone material will never come back to the same strength.

As to the other posts - the horse can't lay down for a few weeks?

Archived